Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Disturbing jumps in viewing direction/camera

Discussion in 'User Interface (Including Launcher)' started by nnda, Sep 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nnda

nnda Avatar

Reproduction Rate: Always
    Blocker?
    Very difficult to control the character.

Details:
    In R70 the camera makes a very disturbing jump when pressing the right mouse button and then moving the mouse.
    This makes the game very difficult to control as suddenly you might be moving in an unexpected direction, including an involuntary dive into Spindrift Bay.

It seems that the camera moves according to the delta between the cursor position when pressing the mouse button and the center of the screen as if you had actually moved the cursor the corresponding distance.

It may be specific to Mac OS X.

The problem is also mentioned in this report: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...vity-notably-decreased-on-os-x-client.159095/
    I'm reporting it separately as that report is primarily about mouse sensitivity.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Move mouse cursor away from the center of the screen (the issue is increasingly pronounced closer to screen edges)
    2. Press and hold right mouse button
    3. Move mouse and observe the viewing direction jump

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820HQ CPU @ 2.90GHz (8) System RAM: 16384
    GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 560 GPU RAM: 4096
    SotA.OSX.64.1043.Date.09.25.19
    Area: POT_forest_metropolis_01b_template/Verat Chaos
    Area Display Name: Verat Chaos
    Loc: (-22.8, 36.0, 458.4)
    Debug: UE9UX2ZvcmVzdF9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAxYl90ZW1wbGF0ZXxWZXJhdCBDaGFvc3woLTIyLjgxNiwgMzYuMDAxLCA0NTguMzk0KXwoMCwgLTAuMDcxLCAwLCAwLjk5Nyl8MzUwLjAwN3wxNi42NzgwN3w0Ljk1NTE5OA==

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    sanctimonious and Widsith [MGT] like this.
  2. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

Good job figuring out the pattern of the jumps. The OS X client has always done this intermittantly, now it's 100% Maybe it'll finally get fixed...

3. nnda

nnda Avatar

As cursor mode is broken I tried switching to target mode, but it also has severe issues.

Looting/container spin:
    - Enter target mode
    - Interact with a container/loot/harvest - this temporarily exits target mode
    - Move mouse to edge of screen
    - Close container with ESC or E if looting

Now the character will spin around as if you had just moved the cursor across half the screen.

Enter target mode spin:
    - Move cursor to edge of screen
    - Press key to enter target mode
    - Move the mouse

The character spins.

It is very annoying, especially when adventuring and looting/harvesting.
    When looting it is not not until you actually move the mouse after looting that the character spins. So when you start running the character will suddenly switch direction.

In summary, unless the cursor is placed dead center above the characters head this screen will jump more or less depending on how far off center the cursor is.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  4. nnda

nnda Avatar

A third issue that I noticed before R70 is that sometimes you get both the regular cursor and the crosshair on screen after looting.
    This you can reproduce in cursor mode by not waiting for the loot container to fade out before pressing the right mouse button.
    This is quite disorienting and you have to release and press the mouse button again for it to disappear.

It also occurs in target mode, but I'm not sure about the circumstances.

5. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Been having this issue forever (windows). Finally OP has characterized it well!!! My suggestion remains to have a keybind that will return cursor from wherever it is to center screen. At least then, knowing you have a problem, you can avoid the issue by getting into the habit of returning cursor to screen center whenever you can't locate it and whenever you anticipate this problem as defined by OP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.