Dodge = next to useless

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Tedio, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tedio

Tedio Avatar

Seen that, but its very confusing, so i dont understand what he really means

2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It means for physical attacks, it checks attacker dex vs targets dex to determine target dodges

For magic attacks, it checks attackers dex or int against target dex to see if target dodges.

It makes it harder to dodge magic attacks

Bambino and Rada Torment like this.
  3. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

With his high skill and Dex, he should always pass those checks. I believe he must roll a dodge first which doesn't seem to be happening.

ozzzmosis and Spinok like this.
  4. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Wise, especially cause:

Good Shield vs Good Hard maple wand
    -12.5% spell damage
    -4% spell critical damage
    -15 attunement
    -% on skills enchant (like ice arrow damage, death ray damage or stone arrow damage)
    +25% fizzle chance

It seems that using the shield as a mage sacrifices enough.

The fizzle chance regarding air is really high, and I found it exaggerated compared to fire and death. As i said many times you get an high fizzle chance even in full cloth with shield and wand.

Anyway if someone can get high str and very high intelligence according to the current math can block more and can reduce your chance to dodge.

Keep in mind that dodge doesn't work from back, with latency and sync issues many times it can happen to have the back uncovered.

PS: @Tedio, if I understood correctly the opponent you mentioned was using a full cloth set not an heavy armor, just to be clear.

Diab Blackbow likes this.
  5. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

They can raise fizzle chance with shield through

6. Tedio

Tedio Avatar

The fight im talking about is the fight we had in the tournament, dont remember if youre heavy or light, but it doesnt really matter in this case because im talking about block, not glancing blow. And maybe you can correct me on the stats you had, im not 100% sure of what you had atm.

Ill do some more testing and come back

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Dodge used to work well but it hasn't provided much benefit since the "new combat math" was implemented. I bugged it here because I thought that 65 dodge should provide more protection than I was seeing.

8. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Full caparacian set ;)
    Yea stats were roughly correct, with devotional my intelligence was 212 to be precise.

We're just saying that one of the disavantages is the fact that air mages cannot use it, suggesting an increase in the fizzle does not seem right thing to do.

+25% fizzle compared to a wand does not it seem more than enough?

Diab Blackbow likes this.
  9. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Initially the shield was implying a big sacrifice for melee : you don't use two handed weapons or dual wield, and it was a big drop for the FPS (more than 20%) just to get a good defense.

You seem to think that using a shield for mages should be an easy possibility when they already use some of the most efficient shields in the game aka their spells and when the drop to their DPS is low. It's just not my opinion.

belijaal likes this.
  10. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

As mage if u're using a shield, you don't use 2h weapon (staves) or dual wield wands, and it is also a big drop for the dps just to get a good defense and avoid to being oneshotted from a melee.

I think a shield for mages is not an easy possibility since:

Good Shield vs Good Hard maple wand
    -12.5% spell damage
    -4% spell critical damage
    -15 attunement
    -% on skills enchant (like ice arrow damage, death ray damage or stone arrow damage)
    +25% fizzle chance

Spells that are often used also from melee and archers if they're not wearing a full heavy plate set ;)

PS: Using heavy armor instead does not really sacrifice the dps, I would insist on this point if I were you.

Please let's stay on Topic, it's not a melee/archers vs mages thread :)

11. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

When you have one hand equiped with your shield, it compensate the fizzle chance. When you have one sword/axe/any weapons equiped, it doesn't provide you with a bigger chance to hit when you have a shield on the other hand.

I just gave my opinion and provided figures in order to show why a shield was a bigger sacrifice for those who don't use wands.

Do you think it is wrong to give an opinion ? We all are entitled with our opinion. And yes, it is obvious that there is something broken with magic here.

12. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I simply would not want to help derail the thread.

13. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Shields are mentionned in the OP. Mage with Shields balance is on topic, I think.

14. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Vs a template that bet you down -

SO first question is where are you getting what dodge is supposed to do - I can not find any information on what dodge actually does? Is it for Mele or Spells?

Secondly this is simply the Skill / Template of the day for PvP - it will change each and every week because somone will figure out somthign that works better defensivly / offensively in any game that uses Skills (spells) that can be trained to different levels.

does anyone have any ideas how oyu would "balance" this?

Since no one person here seems to know what "Dodge" actually does it is all speculation.

Until you get real Nunbers and show how dodge works again hits / spells you can do nothing but complain that you lost to one template or another.

As a result adapt to it or not.

This is the major problem with PvP in this game. Nothing you can do to Sheild or "Dodge" will make a difference since as soon as they are changed and become non effective - Players will change their skills / templates - complain they got killed by "so and so using such and such" - rinse and repeat.

You can try and tell me I do not know what I am talking, about all you want, but this is nothing but third iteration of this already.

1st was the Death Mage
    2nd was the Air Mage (reduced movement) which is now the Ice mage (which has been fixed already)
    3rd is the shield mage

Next? Anyones guess it will come from whoever finds what works before the next update or two.

15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Dodge makes you have a chance to dodge physical attacks and direct target spells

16. Tedio

Tedio Avatar

You clearly havent read my post, so dont come here with your nonsense. If people wouldnt make posts like this there would never be any changes and the flavor of the month would remain the same always. I know exactly what block and dodge does, clearly you DONT. Both block and dodge has a chance to mitigate physical attacks and PROJECTILE spells, such as lightning, chain lightning, earth arrow, ice arrow and so on. You say i can tell you that you dont know what you are talking about, but its very clear and abvious that you dont...

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  17. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

@Tedio One further test you could do in order to evaluate real dodge efficiency is to use the new buff.

It's giving +20 combat dodge modifier for -20 damage avoidance during 3 days.

I won't spoil you the how to, but it would surely be interesting to see what a 60ish combat modifier imply for you in such a fight, in order to compare.

I use it myself currently and I can't really say if there is a big difference. I would say that I don't feel any difference, but I didn't looked into my log to check that.

Tedio likes this.
  18. Tedio

Tedio Avatar

Thanks for the tip, i will do that

Could you link me the solution? @Hornpipe It doesnt seem to be in this thread: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ons-to-puzzles-treasure-hunts-spoilers.61625/

Hornpipe likes this.
  19. Bekido

Bekido Avatar

do you have the full combat log, would be very interesting to read. if he was critting more than regular hitting then it would make sense as it would be his int vs your dex and the crits would mitigate dodge anyways

20. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

You have to look for a drunken ritualist in Tenebris Harbor (in a building near the banana field IF my memory is correct) and bring him the toenails of the twins. The twins are the trolls encoutered in the mountain pass between Aldhaven and Sawtooth Thicket. I suggest that you kill the twins and loot them before going to Tenebris Harbor. It will save some travel for you.

Tedio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.