Does the music need improvement?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by hunanbean, Mar 4, 2019.

Tags:
?

What is your opinion of the music?

1. Great and matches location

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Good, but does not match location

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. Good all around

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Annoying, and I mute it

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Could Use minor improvements

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. Fair to middlin'

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunanbean

hunanbean Avatar

To me, as an amature musician, some of the music is annoyingly repetative.
    I just logged in after a while away and recalled one of the main reasons I left for a break initially. 1 measure that repeated eight times, should have been four maximum, and did not even match the location I was in.

What is your opinion on the music?

Fister Magee likes this.
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I would have clicked the "Great, but does not match the situation" button instead of doesn't match the location.

Primarily I mean it should switch to combat music in combat, and dungeon music in dungeons. Hobbiton music doesn't make sense while battling a dragon.

Edit: And the above is the reason I don't listen to the music anymore. It's too jarring to have chill music during battle.

Fister Magee likes this.
  3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Agreed... the music does not match. Until they match scenes with music, it would be wonderful to have a music player interface that allows us to change tunes manually.

4. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

The music is great :)
    And as asked before:
    Yes it would be fine if it changes depending on situation. Currently it matchs not every time, but can't say never ;)

5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Are you aware of the history of the music? It was crowd-sourced by players, in the very early days (before I joined in R20), and there was even some resistance in Port at first, though they didn't have any music at all at the time, except I guess the theme you hear at the login screen.

And how do you think they are going to get new music? With their crack team of musicians? This isn't a triple-A studio project, so there isn't a floating team for game music. It's not something that tends to be constantly worked on in a game. They did have a sound guy once before The Layoffening, but he wasn't there to compose music.

I tend to leave it at a very low volume or off. I had it completely off before I started streaming, it just makes the ambience too sterile without it.

Alley Oop likes this.
  6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

There IS exciting and chill music. If they just matched them to location it would go a long way to not being in Hobbiton while fighting a dragon.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

There is stuff in there like dungeon music. I haven't been paying attention for a while where the music pops up because I usually have my sound off, but there a variety of different pieces.

But I agree in principle it should change according to context. I've also suggested night-time music for instance, so you don't have a very upbeat tune playing in the dead of night.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  8. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I think the game music is beautiful and we need more of it. It's repetitive but beautiful. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option, so I didn't vote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.