Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Double Clicking Nightmare

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by emusican, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emusican

emusican Avatar

Please increase the delay time by a few milliseconds between selecting an item, and dragging it.

The problem occurs when you double click something, for instance, a chest. If your cursor moves so much as a micrometer in between the double-click, the object moves, and the chest cant be opened - you get a "Item is in use" message.

Adding a very small delay timer in selecting and item, and being able to drag it will fix the issue, and make me (and Im sure many others) extremely happy.

Thank you!

Lord Gorynych, Stahlknecht and Spoon like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

that is all on you and your mouse settings not a game control.

3. Womby

Womby Avatar

In most cases you can press E as an alternative to double clicking. For an example if looting, place the mouse cursor over the enemy to be looted, press E to see the contents, then E again to loot all. Works for opening chests, etc. as well.

Baalice likes this.
  4. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

I set "toggle deco mode" to the hot key of Ctrl-F6 (really hard to hit by mistake), and I always leave it disabled unless I'm decorating.
    Then when I want to deco, I hit the hot key, move stuff around, then hit it again to disable it.
    Haven't had this problem since I made this change.

Retro, Baalice, zyxe and 3 others like this.
  5. Ordovicia

Ordovicia Avatar

I have noticed this also when opening my vendor to add or remove items. I have become much more still with the mouse when doing that now as I constantly was getting the warning message about removing him...

That being said, I am getting that message much less now that I am deliberately trying to keep my mouse still when double clicking things in my home or my vendor out front.

Not sure about it being my settings as I never had this problem in other games with similar actions, however I don't find it to be a huge deal. Many bigger fish to fry before this issue in my view.

6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I never got double click to work well and just use "e" wherever possible.

Baalice likes this.
  7. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

E is the answer not the rival that is seems! Why it wasn't single click is beyond me. But I guess that's how you revolutionize a genre - you move single-click to another keymap.

Baalice likes this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I really wish that we had to shift+drag to move decorations. That would solve the issue with accidentally moving containers and gated wall pieces. We also then wouldn't need a decoration mode.

Bluefire, Ember and Browncoat Jayson like this.
  9. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

But then how would we rotate books to lay flat? (shift + R by default)
    Also the deco mode toggle is much better than "shift" dragging because Shift Dragging + other deco hot keys, and manually moving is going to just be clumsy.

Baalice likes this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You would only need the shift key when you start dragging, like when you use the shift or control keys to drag from your inventory.

Ember and Rofo like this.
  11. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

This is one area where SWG beats the current design of this game hands down. To decorate you simply pulled *ANY* item out of your inventory and dropped it in your house. It fell at your feet. You selected the item by clicking it once. Then you used mapped keys to move it up, down, toward, away [based on character's current facing], yaw and eventually pitch and roll were added. It took them a couple years of arguing that they didn't have a Z axis but they finally added pitch and roll. There was no decorate mode and no accidental dragging of the item around when you didn't want to. As a mayor I could even rotate town decorations by taking the item up into a space ship, dropping the item in the ship, rotating my ship to the desired angle then picking up the item, landing, and placing in town.

Here we can place a very few select items in our house (I know this is going to change). We can use our mouse to move them anywhere we can drag, even through a wall - like placement outside on accident. Then we move to keymaps to determine yaw. There is no pitch or roll. We cannot move the item up or down at this point, either. We can only place the item on another item. Notably we cannot place the items on most existing surfaces other than the floor or ground outside. I look forward to all these limitations being overcome.

12. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I start having this double click and right click issue after they release the patch that was supposed to fix "look into the sky due to lag" issue.

I notice that in the area where I have a low frame rate, I have a very hard time trying to interact with any objects and NPCs with double left click or single right click.

I wonder if they are related.

13. emusican

emusican Avatar

The point is, we should have to set a hotkey to disable/enable deco mode to run up, open a chest, grab what we need, then leave. This double clicking issue is driving me bonkers lol.

Oba Evesor likes this.
  14. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

There is a hotkey for enable/disable deco mode. Its just not bound by default. Go to your Options menu and find your keybinds. In there somewhere is Toggle Deco Mode. Bind that to any key ya like. :D

15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Do you have low frame rate? The event loop of this game (I don't know whether it's in Unity code or Port code based on example code from Unity) only checks events once per frame. There are also many places that when a mouse click is detected, instead of remembering where the mouse was when the click happened (which should be part of the event info from the OS), the mouse position is re-read when code finally gets around to handling it. This leads to laggy behavior, and also makes double-clicking difficult below 15fps or so. But right now they're working on content and not tuning for performance so you'll have to deal with it for the near future.

The E key works in many contexts that used to require double-clicks, and makes it much more tolerable until other things can be fixed.

As for deco mode, I have the Toggle Deco Mode command set to ctrl-keypad-plus, and normally leave it turned off. Whenever you try to do non-deco stuff (especially crafting) while standing on a lot that you have deco privileges for, it is a pain in the ass when you have deco mode enabled.

Acred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.