Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Download speed

Discussion in 'Release 37 Feedback Forum' started by Aldo, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I guess 35KB/sec is acceptable? If you don't use steam or P2P you are out of luck. New players may not stick around for this. I restarted the launcher about 10 times hoping for a better catch and did get speeds to 2MB/sec for about 20% of the download, but it dropped back to 35KB/sec.:(

FrostII likes this.
  2. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Why don't you use P2P then? Install Vuze or any .torrent client and download the patch there with the .torrent file in your SotA downloads folder.

3. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I am not accepting content from computers with unknown security set ups.

Oyjord Hansen likes this.
  4. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Ok :p have fun downloading the patch from only 1 Server.

Elwyn and Aldo like this.
  5. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Unless you want Port to devote large sums of pledge money to getting a faster internet connection that will only be needed a few times a month, yes. I'd much rather they spent that money on developing the game.

What do you know about the security setup of Port's download server that we don't?

Bittorrent is fairly low risk as these things go, users cannot send you random files. The main risk in Bittorrent is that the file you've selected to download contains a virus, if that is the case here then you'll be getting exactly the same virus by direct download.

Hermetic and Aldo like this.
  6. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I updated through steam and the entire download took less than 10 minutes. I started the download and was able to go and start a pot of coffee and feed my fish, and when I got back it was done.

Hazard, Lord Ravnos, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  7. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Perhaps I don't understand. My thought is that Port has a big future here to protect. Thus I feel downloading from their computer is safer than from a random computer with no skin in the game so to speak. If I run into problems with a Port computer download at least I would have an isolated cause for my problem (virus or such). If I decided to make my computer available for upload of the game for P2P then who is to say that my system hasn't been compromised in some way and starts spreading that to whoever downloads from me? I know I am extremely paranoid and will suffer self imposed pain. I just want to keep bringing up that I think Port should upgrade their system as part of the plan for release.

FrostII likes this.
  8. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

In a way I am jealous. Please don't take all the resources before I get there.

Jordizzle likes this.
  9. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

No worries there, I don't craft or collect resources :D

10. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Even with bittorrent you have an isolated cause, Port is still the first and original seed, the file comes from them. The advantage with bittorrent is that you have many other computers validating that the file hasn't changed. If a file being downloaded changes on one computer involved in the torrent then that change will be rejected by all the other computers.

Even if that did happen then, unless you created a new torrent of your own and persuaded others to download it (by sharing it on TPB or whatever), the bittorrent protocol itself protects all the other users. You are not sharing random files on your computer, you're sharing the specific files that are a part of the torrent.

Aldo likes this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Just use Steam and you won't have to hassle with any of that.

uhop likes this.
  12. skeggymedia

skeggymedia Avatar

just disable your firewall or put in an exception into the firewall for the Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher.exe.
    before I done the above only downloading at kb's but when the above was done now downloading a mbp's.
    I run one client using the Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher and one on steam and steam is defiantly faster though

13. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.