Dragons as Pets

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Jul 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Hello,

I am very new here but not to UO. I just found out that Dragons will not be tameable. That news is very, very sad. All we can do is kill them? :(

I understand they are considered boss-level mobs, however is it possible to introduce, perhaps, lesser dragons as high-level tameable pets?

Edit to add screenshot of today's SotA Livestream (07/28/17). How about that little one in the corner? ;)

[​IMG]

UPDATE

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Ataniiq, Greyfox, Neonis and 12 others like this.
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Maybe not at launch, but no worries. There are four expansions/episodes coming; I'm sure you'll find drakes to train at some point.

3. Alleine Dragonfyre

[​IMG]

4. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I have long loved dragons. I had a lovely pet one in UO around earth 1998. Sadly, they changed it so you had to have super high taming to keep one so I had to give mine up. She went a little crazy and tried to kill everyone. But it was cool while I had her. I'm sure Amber is out there burning up villages right and left!

5. Beli

Beli Avatar

Neonis and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  6. Alleine Dragonfyre

Oh! That is so sad you lost your companion but you're right, @Rhiannon, I am sure she's wreaking havoc to this day and loving every minute. Thanks for the support @Beli !

7. Beli

Beli Avatar

Wish you would have been here when we were pushing music, its time for fishing next and as you know how it was in UO, I am sure one day a uber higher tamer will at least have a Drake and one day a Dragon. The Devs do listen
    Patience and Tolerance

Neonis, Numa and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  8. Cairo Hayden

Cairo Hayden Avatar

I too would love to see dragon's tamable here. I would imagine though if we had 20-30 people in one zone running around with dragon's the lag would be incredibly severe. Perhaps once unity gets there issues with the lag fixed, then one day dragons will become a possible thing.

Welcome to Shroud of the Avatar. If you need anything feel free to toss me a PM.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  9. Alleine Dragonfyre

I'm patient and thank you! @Cairo Hayden I certainly will look you up :)

@Beli My husband hunted krakens for messages in bottles long ago and yearns to return to the high seas as well!

10. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

At the moment tamed pets suck, though I think back to UO and remember how weak Spiders, Wolves and Bears were. Too bad the focus cost is too high to allow their weakness to hinder us.

11. Alleine Dragonfyre

True. Is there a thread that discusses focus issues with taming?

12. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

There's probably a dozen threads discussing focus cost as it's the very reason even the otherwise worth-while pets are an overall DPS cut. The Bear, Wolf and virtually any other pet is only a cosmetic change at most while the Spiders webbing at least impacts characters who kite like Leather/Cloth wearers. The only time Taming is worth the effort is if you haven't put as much effort into your own combat skills, which doesn't help that Taming is costly to train at lower levels and even then it won't take long to realize pet management is slowing you down.

Pets also lack an ability to hold aggro, but that's another problem all together.

13. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

As an archer, if I had a meat shield, that would open up all kinds of possibilities for me. The aggro system is pretty annoying to the melee fighters I party with. They constantly have to chase their targets when I constantly draw aggro because my charged crits hit so hard.

Taming would be a way to roleplay as the ranger I always wanted to be.

Rennik and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  14. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Another issue, at least to me and only because I'm picky about this, is that whatever you tame SHRINKS! It's something common in 3D MMOs because of the screen room they would take. If we get a drake or dragon chances are it would be the size of a horse at most.

Back in UO we had Nightmares, Unicorns, Ki-Rin, Cu-Sidhe and Reptalon, all of which would make viable combat pets for high end tamers AND act as mounts when we eventually get that system. I would honestly rather have one of these than a shrunken pigmy dragon due to 3D limitations, but thats just me.

SoTA Variety
    Nightmare/Unicorn/Ki-Rin: Ranged pet, uses magic. Nightmare has more DPS while Unicorn and Ki-Rin occasionally heal others.
    Cu-Sidhe: Melee pet, self healing. (Tank)
    Reptalon: Melee pet, uses fire aoe. (DPS)

As far as dragon-like pets the Reptalon would fit the bill. They were awesome looking, but far outclassed by Cu-Sidhe at the time. SoTA could show them the love they never got. I remember taming one for my Bushido/Archer to use as a mount for visual purposes only. I had enough Taming, but couldn't give it orders as I lacked Animal Lore. Still though, I looked awesome. :cool:

Having a skill That causes the owners aggro to be periodically sent to their pet would also help. As for these high end pets above they should be highly competitive in terms of the best possible player DPS while leaving the owner with enough focus to mainly be a pet healer. They should also be unable to be traded. Even attempting the tame should require near capped skill and most likely a healers assistance.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  15. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Reptalon from UO

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were designed after Chimera. Mostly a Dragon/Lion combo.

16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Dragon pets tend to be fussy about food. This one really wanted tuna for supper.

[​IMG]

17. Numa

Numa Avatar

Frankly, i'd be happy with even a miniature one (combat pet).

[​IMG]

18. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@Alleine Dragonfyre; If your husband is looking for high seas adventure let him know he found the right place. We already have a Pirate Galleon in Serenite and hopefully soon will be hunting whatever or whomever gets in our way in the near future *grins*. R/Boris/El Pirata

Alleine Dragonfyre and Numa like this.
  19. Alleine Dragonfyre

Quick - get ALL TEH TUNA EVERYWHERE!

D'awww!!!

I will let him know! :)

Numa likes this.
  20. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I'm all for tamed dragons at some point,as long as they can't be summoned to move inside where they are too big to fit. :D:p

Beli, Alleine Dragonfyre and Numa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.