Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Dual screen messed up

Discussion in 'Release 32 Bug Forum' started by Kliirkast, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kliirkast

Kliirkast Localization Team

Not really the good subforum to post, and prolly not a bug, but couldn't find a better place.
    Since new patch, my game full-screen'ed window is on my secondary screen instead of my primary.
    ... annoying.

7/28/2016 6:47 PM
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? no
    Details: see above
    Steps to Reproduce: dunno
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8) System RAM: 8143
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU RAM: 4008
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.447.Date.07.26.16
    Area: Novia_R1_City_Soltown
    Loc: (38.0, 24.9, -104.0)

2. Lord Subtleton

Lord Subtleton Developer Emeritus

I've added a JIRA to track this issue as an area of improvement.

3. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I had this issue a few releases back on my triple screen set up. Take a look at this post for the solution.

4. Sennik

Sennik Avatar

That unfortunately doesn't work for me Traveller. I can get it to go to my middle monitor (main of three) by unchecking borderless windowed, but it does not let me select max resolution. My main monitor is 1920x1080 and side monitors are 1680x1050.

5. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Do you have "Full Screen" checked in the Video options tab?

6. Kliirkast

Kliirkast Localization Team

Here is what I found to be effective.
    Start Launcher, go to Options, UNcheck "enable borderless window mode".
    Log out completely.
    Restart the game, it will appear in a classic bordered window. Move that window on the screen you wish to use. Minimize it, RE-maximize it, to make sure Windoze knows where it should be.
    Do NOT change the video settings in the game.
    Quit game.
    Back in Launcher, go to Options, check back "enable borderless window mode".
    Do not check back "full screen" in the game options.

Any other combinations or sequences have done either nothing or a wrong result, at least for me.

Hope this helps.
    Kliirkast.

2112Starman likes this.
  7. VasKalCorp

VasKalCorp Avatar

SAME/SIMILAR problem.
    No matter what I do, Launcher always loads to the second screen (dual monitor) which is usually turned off.
    "Borderless and/or Full Screen checked in options loads/moves to second screen.
    Classic bordered window once moved to the first screen will continue to load to that screen regardless of minimized/maximized setting.
    Primary screen shows POST when booting up and Windows loading screen as well as all other programs I load except for those that I intentionally or absentmindedly closed after I had moved that program window to the second screen.

This is not a new problem to release 32. Not sure when it first started, but for sure release 31 also had the problem.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
    DirectX version: 12.0
    GPU processor: GeForce GTX 960
    Driver version: 368.39

8. Lord Subtleton

If you are comfortable with using RegEdit (on a Windows machine), you could try editing a registry setting to see if this helps:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\UnitySelectMonitor_h17969598
    This key has a REG_DWORD value that I believe controls which monitor the game uses. Try changing this number to either 1 or 2 to see if you can get the game to start on the correct monitor. Let me know what you find out.

Traveller13 and VasKalCorp like this.
  9. Rebelweasel

Rebelweasel Avatar

I have this problem because I launch the game through Steam. It happens after every release, then I muddle through setting it up again, and then it will go to my center monitor.
    My fix: I launch the game, and go to graphics options and then turn off full screen. Then I close the game, and relaunch through steam, using the "use border-less window mode" option that Steam pops up for me. Then it works on the center screen each time until a new release comes out. I hope this helps, if any are using steam logins. There are two more steps I take also, which requires changes to the compatibility properties of the game's exe file, but I don't think they are what fixes, to be honest. Each time it happens I forgot what I did to fix it last time and flounder in properties then remember heh.

10. VasKalCorp

VasKalCorp Avatar

Exelent
    Without further experimentation, changing the above key as well as
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher
    UnitySelectMonitor_h17969598
    from a 0 to a 1 has both launcher and borderless/window mode launching on the primary screen.

Figured it had to be in the registry. I just didn't know where to look.
    Now the programmers have to get busy and fix this so it updates the registry when a user changes the launch/graphics configuration. :)

11. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

I tried that fix for the similar issue I am having (https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...en-dual-monitor-bug-on-launcher-screen.55655/) and it didn't fix it. It doesn't look quite the same as it did before, but still didn't fit itself properly to my primary monitor.

12. VasKalCorp

VasKalCorp Avatar

This hack is telling game/launcher which screen to launch on.
    You are having a problem with size which is complicated buy having 2 different size screen. Registry keys for this are likely found in the game related or windows registry keys or combination of both.

It is also likely that SotA is not sending/updating or does not have keys necessary for Windows to make those adjustments on the fly.
    Also.... Windows being a Microsoft product is not infallible so it could all be a Windows problem. :p Or maybe Windows just can't make the adjustment until it has gone to full screen first.

Having the same size monitors should, could, possibly, maybe alleviate the problem.

13. Lord Subtleton

Sargon - just for debugging purposes so we can narrow down the problem - would you please try changing the orientation of your monitors so they are both in landscape mode? See if that makes things work.

14. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

@Lord Subtleton Same issue here. I tried the suggested change in the registry and it's working fine in full screen mode but not in windowed mode (which I actually prefer to play games). I'am using 3 monitors and SotA in window mode is always starting on the boot monitor. How can I tell SotA to start on another monitor and remeber this monitor (preferably per instance)?

15. Sennik

Sennik Avatar

That worked thanks! Not only did the launcher come up on monitor 1, I can now select 1920x1080 resolution.

16. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

17. Lord Subtleton

So after researching this for a day, I've got some bad news. Unity internally has support for multiple monitors, but doesn't yet expose those settings to the application. Looks like the registry setting is the best bet for the time being. Also of note: Unity's (internal only) support for multiple monitors only works on Windows. I'm thinking that Unity would need to implement that functionality for all platforms in order to make it an official feature.

Duffrey Blake likes this.
  18. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Yes todays patch has once again forced the game to play on my smaller monitor using Windows 10, this is getting really annoying. It never use to do this, not sure why its decided to now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.