Durability

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Calan Caitin, Jul 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calan Caitin

Calan Caitin Avatar

I understand gear isn't suppose to last forever. but holy cow... Even with GM preservation (25%), Potion of Preservation (25%) and the Blessing of Maintenance (25%) for a total of 75% durability effectiveness, I use repair kits like tic tacs and watch the durability max count down like a stop watch. Meanwhile mages can craft a wand that never loses a tic of durability unless they poke something in the eye with their little stick. Is this maintenance buff thing working properly? This paper machete armor I am paying all this gold for must melt fast without all the buffs if it is.

2. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

I wonder if it's because there's a bazillion ore in the game

3. Calan Caitin

Calan Caitin Avatar

I'm guessing it's more of a thing that 75% doesn't mean the same thing as what it sounds like. Much like 95% success chance fails as much as it does in crafting. It needs to be toned down some and Wands/Staves need to lose dura from casting like bows do for shooting arrows.

4. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Aren't we supposed to be able to do some kind of "major repair" to restore lost durability points too? Something that's supposed to be usable on those nifty looking Gambesons that we can loot off certain mobs as well?

5. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I repair my bow more then I care to count.... I spend a lot of time repairing after every 3-4 fights … so not FUN

I used the Obs. potion of preservation, but it preserves NOTHING mush….. seems to be the same whether or not I use the potions, for my bow at least, it looses durations way too fast. Way too fast....

6. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

How much fighting are all of you doing that you need to repair THIS often? I seem to need to use a repair kit once a week on maybe one or two pieces of my armor and maybe once a week on both my short sword and dagger.

Have a just "figured" something out? I don't even use obsidian potions for any kind of durability protection either.

MFWalter likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You can restore max durability with a COTO but it starts costing more and more.

Nelzie likes this.
  8. Calan Caitin

Calan Caitin Avatar

I am starting to wonder if using all the maintenance buffs is actually having a negative effect.

I am out of town more than I am in them. I've used 20+ repairs deeds in the Rise the past 2 days looking for the elven recipes.

Chatele likes this.
  9. Calan Caitin

Calan Caitin Avatar

Ive not seen it cost more, but does start lowering the "max" durability it that can be repaired to.

Solazur, Synergy Blaize and Barugon like this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So, if you repair something with a COTO and it only restores say 80% of the max durability and then you immediately repair using another COTO, it won't restore the remaining 20%?

11. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

If you only play an hour or two a day, you're not going to be repairing much.

12. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I have items with 9 Major repairs and it has taken me 3 Cotos to get something back to Max Dur. The item that I repaired, and I'm estimating as I don't remember the exact numbers, had something like 9/23(Max 40 Dur). The more Major Repairs that you do the less effective each COTO will be and will take more COTO's to bring the item back to Max Dur.

I'm not sure why projectile weapons have heavy dur loss, but wands/staves are pretty obvious. If you aren't hitting anything with them, they wont lose durability, just as if you place a decoration on a mantle it doesn't lose durability(unless you drop it on the ground of course). Maybe extending the string on bows breaks down the wood over time. Wands/Staves are just a catalyst for casting spells, so don't cause any direct damage to the weapon.

Barugon likes this.
  13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I do have Armor and Weapon Preservation skills to 65, which seems to help stuff last a bit longer. I don’t usually repair stuff too often. But I’m not playing 10 hours a day...

14. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Yeah if you repair something with Cotos enough... the amount of repair each coto does is less and less causing you to use more for major repairs. For example, I have a warhammer that wears down quickly... so repairing from 20 durability (max 44), 1 Coto only took me to 32-34 durability this time and had to use another to get back to 44 (max). Thats also with obsidian potion for +repair/salv and 80+ in carpentry repair. I'm not even sure if those stats matter for major repairs with cotos, but just in case...

15. MFWalter

MFWalter Avatar

I feel like there must be a bug for using too much durability protection. I have 80 armour and weapon passives and I repair like once a week. I play maybe an hour or two each weeknight, but since double exp weekends have started I have been doing like 12 hours days, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. That isn't all combat that is also crafting, but still I only repair like once a week not after ever 3-4 fights. (I use bow/leather, halberd/leather, or wand/wand/cloth depending on the situation)

16. MFWalter

MFWalter Avatar

OH! Also how much durability does your gear have left after enchants and masterworking? I am running no enchants or masterworks of my gear so I am looking at like 80-15 durability on every piece. Are you guys using gear that has been "upgraded" down to like 30 durability?

17. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

For me, the only reason it feels like it happens all the time is that I have like eight or so items, and many of them are under 30 max dura now. I have to get new stuff every few months, but it might help that I'm not an in-the-mobs-face melee, and I do a lot of magic attacks from a distance. It's hard for your armor or weapon to get damaged while you're kiting something and it can't touch you.

It's kind of like how it was before I put in CFL bulbs almost 20 years ago... before that it felt like I was replacing light bulbs all the time, because there were so many of them to burn out. Just the less time wasted changing light bulbs was worth it, even before you get into energy efficiency.

18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

This sounds like one of those is bugged, maybe the blessing since it is newest.

19. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

I think spell casting should cause wands to lose durability. Furthermore, less durability for all equipment across the board, less RNG in crafting, and more turn around.

20. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

That only benefits those with much more time on their hands.

MFWalter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.