Enchanting items

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by RitualOfFlame, Nov 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RitualOfFlame

RitualOfFlame Avatar

Hi community :)

Don't know if it was already proposed, or already scheduled, but I have an idea about enchanting items.

the idea is to give the opportunity to players to enchant specific items (rare or whatever) that can hold a certain amount of spells that can be used in combat as well.

What I would like to see, since I am a big fan of RPG, is some sort of ritual, that anybody who has some training can do, that can enchant an item with a specific spell in it. So, let's say I am mastering the school of Death, I would like to be able to enchant an object (in this case a skull might sound appropriate) to be "used" to summon a skeleton.

So, up to here nothing special, is something that is easily doable in any game. What can make this feature more interesting, is the possibility to do this only by performing some sort of ritual, with use of other rare magic items that can be found around the game. And, not enough, the ritual could be made more interesting by requiring some sort of environment conditions.
    Continuing to speak on the example above, the Death sorcerer could perform the ritual only in a catacomb,when is night.
    Or for example, for a Sun sorcerer, the ritual could be performed only during daylight and he must be surrounded by other 2 players that master the same school and have the some level of ability! The possibilities to make this interesting are notable!

Another idea could be that the time of the ritual may vary on some stats, how many player join in for the ritual, making available the ritual just once a day, etc. etc.... other idea come in my mind as I write. Don't know about you, but to me sounds very exciting :)

Let me know your opinion!

Schmidbauer and Time Lord like this.
  2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I believe they intend to allow items to be enchanted. From what I can tell, you'll need to gather a gem to put into the item. And a spellcaster has to cast the spell into the gem.

3. Leviathan Alestorm

Leviathan Alestorm Avatar

There are environment based glyphs, enchanting, and items will be able to get stuff like "Undead Slayer" that is earned by killing undead. There will be unique items and many rares.

4. RitualOfFlame

RitualOfFlame Avatar

I like that. But I would like to see something that really makes this a very special thing. I meant the ritual because it would make the thing more interesting, giving a sort of "magic" (literally) atmosphere to the event. I wouldn't like to see something like Diablo, where you put a gem and that's it :D
    However, swords and wands aside, it would be great to enchant some special item that can be bought from wizards shop or around some dungeon... scrolls, amulets, skulls, pentagrams, dolls, part of animals, whatever. And enchanting these items to give them a number of spells that can be cast by someone else. It would give even a new way to make money for who has the ability of enchanting. I could sell my enchanted scroll to someone who need it.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Moonshadow and Time Lord like this.
  6. na0cho

na0cho Avatar

i like your train of thought, however this would act as a bypass to the deck system that they seem to want to use. what would stop me from enchanting a ton of spells to just spam in combat. Would it cost focus to use? pve this might work but pvp it would be a deal breaker.

unless they limit the amount of enchants of this type.

enchants imo would probably be as stated above by others, buffs to weaps,armor resists, etc etc. there will be a huge variety im sure but allowing us to place spells/skills into items would just be too much.

Time Lord and Keira OFaolain like this.
  7. enderandrew

Enchanting will require rare gems and potentially special items that can take the gems, as well as a caster to imbue the gem with the spell.

And I'm assuming that using the item for the spell can only happen so often before it is charged again.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. na0cho

na0cho Avatar

you could still collect say 5 of these easily and have a basic autocombo for free. and anyone can get gems and can respec mage if they have to and put points in enchanting since itll most likely be a crafting skill.

dont for a second think most people will rely on other crafters. Since crafting points are seperate everyone will do everything, unless they limit respeccing.

so even if they can only be used once a day its pretty much a guarentee win in pvp if you attack first.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. enderandrew

Glyphs have to be combined for a combo.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. na0cho

na0cho Avatar

are you arguing just to argue?

i didnt mean like an in game combo i meant like a succession of skills that can be fired off that are pre saved with no focus cost.

might as well get rid of the random decks at that point(which beleive me im all for) and have all skills locked on a bar.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Our Gaming Interactions...:confused:
    For me, it's about having a conversation with the game, where sometimes I am taking to it, while other times it's talking to me, no matter if that's a language of actions, color changes or words. This is what enhances interactiveness, where we are not just operating the game, but we are interacting with it. The less interactive any game is, the more it just seems like a tool by which I manipulate things within it's gaming environment.
    I do enjoy the cards and also embrace the randomness of what can happen, which makes things less predictable, and also, even if the things I do, do work, then they may or may not have the same effect every time I'm successful. The additive of the planets and stars above us with our skills, will only enhance these gaming features and the random interactiveness our world will have when we are using our skills... or trying to ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Schmidbauer and Lord Baldrith like this.
  12. enderandrew

No, I was being specific in my speech. I strive for clarity and correctness.

Are you upset that magically enchanted items are more powerful than normal items?

That is somewhat the point. And other players have the ability to enchant items as well.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. na0cho

na0cho Avatar

no i WILL be upset if enchanted items are more powerful than the skills we use. it would ruin pvp.

when i first read responses they seemed smarmy but i was tired probably read the "tone" wrong. for that i apologize.

all im saying is people will find the most op skill and enchant 10+ items with it and just spam it on people in pvp. there would have to be a seriously long global cooldown on using these items to prevent that.

and they would need double the foucus cost because basically your using a skill thats effectively "locked" that you dont even have to have anything invested in that skill to use. Everyone will be rolling around with the best most op spell.

example: why bother putting all those points into summoning a lich when you could just enchant a gem that will.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. enderandrew

Tone is difficult to tell on the internet. But you shouldn't need to worry. Chris, Starr, Richard and others have said repeatedly that they want player skill to mean far more than gear in this game. They don't like how in games like WoW, gear means absolutely everything.

There will be some gear that is more powerful than others, but first off, PvP players will have the same access to enchantments as everyone else so that becomes a wash. Secondly, there will also be a full tree of PvP skills last I heard, which are on top of your existing skills. You'll get separate points to spend in this tree, just like there are separate combat and crafting skill points. An experienced PvP player will have inherit advantages from that tree over someone else that should even out any advantages one might get just from gear.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. na0cho

na0cho Avatar

good to know.

Personally i hate gear dependency. a more skilled player in rags should be able to beat a less skilled player in armor imo. im a bit concerned about this "affinity" thing ive read about in a few places here. Alas people love their pixels so I fear the worst.

i never said i was against enchants or that they shouldnt be powerful, just that you shouldn't be able to preload skills/spells into them. it defeats the purpose of specialization.

all that being said I wouldnt mind a Human slaying Exceedingly accurate silver pirates cutlass of @55 kickin!

Time Lord likes this.
  16. enderandrew

I understand the argument, but players should be able to make powerful items via crafting and enchantment as part of the player economy, and RPGs need advancement. I want to feel like my character is getting more powerful because of my actions. So you do need some gear progression.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. na0cho

na0cho Avatar

i get it. It just sucks that im in the minority and i keep making more and more concessions in games. I tend to think more about pvp and balancing, not bank sitting, rp , and pve. that being said, I DO my fair share of the three latter, they just arent as high on my scales of necessity. I do try to see the other sides point of view as often as i can, even if I dont always come off that way.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.