Encyclopedia New Britannia

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Sep 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Some additional thoughts.. Geography will probably be one of the earlier series worked on since a lot of the data is already out and it should be relatively simple to standardize. Current thinking runs something like this..

Multi-zone areas (ie North & South Celestial Wetlands) will only get one entry. Subject will be devided by region.. ie Dracvald, Grunvald, Quel etc. Will not include towns but may or may not include non-outdoor zones (ie caves) but will probably include PoIs.. Tower of the Shuttered Eye, mines etc.

First paragraph basic description
    Common Wildlife
    Common Flora
    Other Resources of note.

The subject may have a sub-topic of biomes so as to reduce the necessity of repeating the same description into over and over.

Acred likes this.
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I think having a symbol font option would allow for this. Stock the font with SVG images of things like moon phases, skill and magic icons, skulls, moongate symbol, etc. Then we can just place it as text when necessary. If we can change font size down the road, SVG scales naturally.

Acred and Numa like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok the final wipe is approaching and the pressure's on! So, but with a lot of stuff still missing from the game it will take some time to develop a complete encyclopedia. However, with most of the regions now being filled in we finally have something we can really sink our teeth into.. as it were.

So there's not much for it but to gather information and just do it. With that in mind I will announce the first series of the Encyclopedia New Britannia: Regions of Novia.

Each region will probably be broken down by area with basic information as mentioned previously. Formatting and information will be subject to the current character limit per book.

If there is specific information people would like to see, feel free to speak up.

I hope to have this series complete by August.

Acred and cartodude like this.
  4. ShardMist

ShardMist Avatar

Pardon me I was wondering if there is a series of books regarding magic, amd mysticism, and herbology/alchemy so on and so forth.

As it turns out the moment I entered into this world I developed a desire for magic of all sorts. I do not want to keep my discoveries to myself though. I woukd like to write numerous books on the topic of magic including descriptions of each spell and attempt to theorize what causes magic to form (words of power, reagents, and our personal experience and focus).

However wgile I am willing to do the vast majority of the work I do not want to take this on alone. To have others contribute to the work to help ensure accuracy to the best of our limited and continually changing understanding of magic.

I also want to write books that theorize about concepts such as analysis of each element and even how to approach the potential of chaos itself.

If there is already work done I am willing to continue the works and as I said above I plan to write many volumes of books with theories regarding all forms of magic. Meanwhile I am also seeking the mastery of the spells themselves, and work towards mastery of alchemy as well. Not so much from a competitive perspective but for the purpose of academics, and it seems to be my calling since it is my desire to not only to be a student but also actively persue the potential of the arch mage, if such a thing is possible.

If this is of interest to anyone please contact me. I would like to work with others on this project. If I write books I want to make sure there is quality enough in the pages to fill the shelves of others who appreciate the study of the arcane.

Hopefully these books can lead to the beginnings of a vast library of all things arcane. Maybe even a place where mages can come together and learn together.

FYI: What I am proposing to write is probably beyond the scope of a single encyclopedia. While parts can be part of an encyclopedia but I desire to write an entire encyclopedia of magic and even more. Magic and imagination may be unlimited.

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

As it happens I'm currently working on the getting the Scholar's of Novia website ready for launch with basic content.. and I was contemplating actively seeking contributors for the Encyclopedia. (Goodness knows I'm never going to get to writing the entire thing myself). I would be happy to have contributions to the arcane volumes.

Acred, Browncoat Jayson and ShardMist like this.
  6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

This is a great idea. I think this is quite big of you, BOwen, thank you for this undertaking. I cant wait to get a few copies.

Acred, ShardMist and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Thanks. I just hope to eventually live up to expectations. To that end, I will need to more aggressively recruit contributors. Look forward to an announcement soon.

Acred likes this.
  8. ShardMist

ShardMist Avatar

I am quite inspired to write. I may as well do so while such inspiration exists.

Perhaps I or we could come up with a list of various sections like reagents, spells, alchemy... then create the books as needed. Although some things like verbal components to spells I still do not know much about and perhaps that would be something nice to have in an encyclopedia such as this even if it is not yet widely known in new britannia yet.

Feel free to private message me as well, I am quite serious about being a contributor to this encyclopedia in my field of research in New Britannia.

Acred likes this.
  9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

We only have the Words of Power that Richard revealed during one of the post mortems. We don't know what specifically each spell will use. However, I'd love to take a crack at some of these topics too.

Acred and ShardMist like this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Will PM when I get time away from work. :)

Acred and ShardMist like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.