Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Engraved tools now trump my Prosperity tools, What!!!

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by SmokerKGB, May 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I feel it was a waste of money (real cash), to see what engraving kits adds to a store bought regular tools... My pick has 50% speed increase now (true Bronze)... My Sycle just got 30% speed increase (silver)...

Why can't I use these on my Prosperity tools?

These engraving kits need to be toned down a bit, when applied to a tool, the tool shouldn't be repairable and wear out completely... That would stimulate the market for engraving kits...

2. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

they will be toned down a bit.

but they always said that the store bought ones wont be the best, they are just nice as a starter set.
    player made stuff will always be better, as it should be :)

3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

All is not so bright in the new world of Engraved tools..... :(

The durability is horrible. :eek:

I put mine away - and re-equipped my Prosperity Skinning Knife - after spending 600gp's on Tool Repair Kits after a couple of hours harvesting with my new Silver engraved wonder.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  4. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Prosperity tools were always said to be near the higher end of all possible tools (though not the highest possible), and of course indestructible.

Cordelayne, Beaumaris, Womby and 16 others like this.
  5. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

We're suppose to be able to upgrade the prosperity tools too, though they may have forgotten?

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...on-harvesting-skills.22122/page-2#post-328559
    "I think we've promised that you could upgrade them some but not to the level of the best tools in the game. So my estimation is that they will probably go to probably +20 with upgrades vs +30 for very good tools. There will probably be some crazy bonus tools with something like +50 or more that are so fragile that they are practically consumables. Exact numbers aren't set as we're still defining the highest tier nodes and will be tweaking some math around those."

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The value of the prosperity tools is supposed to be that they never break and don't need repair. That's a HUGE deal in an MMO where you're using these tools over and over again.

Yes, you can create better tools that last a short time period, but eventually you'll need to repair them or make new ones. The prosperity tools can't be looted in pvp, and they won't require you to return to town or your home to make a new one. It's a trade off, but in my opinion they're worth every penny.

7. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

OK. Let's get real here. The prosperity tools cost $70 for 6 tools. A full set costs $190. This is not chump change. I for one would never have spent $140 for tools that could be outdone by tools created in game with a couple of ores. Who in their right mind would even consider selling something with an implied advantage, then undercut that customer a few months later like this? I understand that these in game crafted kits will be nerfed, but how do we get into these sticky situations? Someone needs to get a grip on the customer feelings and obligations to same.

Greyfox, PK U, Balandar and 3 others like this.
  8. r-DotPhunky

r-DotPhunky Avatar

This is exactly what I was going to type. I bought most of the tools because I despise breaking tools in the middle of crafting.

You'll be spending quite a bit of gold to keep those player created tools fixed and usable... all the while I'll happily chug along with tools that never break. If I can upgrade those at all - that's an extra boon that anyone who owns those tools will (should) jump all over. :cool:

9. Drocis the Devious

The devs have always said that the prosperity tools would not be the best in the game.

If you don't like the tools you can melt them down for store credit.

10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Credit is meaningless unless there is something you want to buy. That aside, in game the current cost for ten or and a couple of rare ore is less than 2000 gold to make a kit. Mining same is just a few minutes of game play. Even if eventually unrepairable, the kits result in a big advantage time wise at harvesting up to 80 or so resources. I will always use the in game crafted tools rather than the purchased ones. It only makes sense. Putting it another way, if the prosperity tools in the store were put up for sale after this in game mechanic was introduced you have to admit sales would have suffered or flopped completely. It really smacks of bait and switch. The sale is locked in with a credit resolution. This is the first time I really feel taken advantage of. I am a huge supporter of the game in relation to most so do have some right to have my feelings known.

Leelu and Ice Queen like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't make your feelings known.

I'm saying that the devs have been clear that there would be breakable items in the game that were better than the prosperity tools. It's still unclear how much better they will be once crafting starts to evolve, but this isn't a new thing. So sure, keep giving feedback from your perspective, but maybe "bait and switch" is a little strong. The crafting system is probably not even 20% completed at this point.

12. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We want to make it as fair as possible the position an item's value rests, regardless of how it's acquired. It's a balance to the time and effort in created player-made (crafted) items of a similar use to a store bought item. As was said above, durability and effectiveness of the item comes into consideration to make player crafted items at least as useful, as these items and their crafters are at the heart of the economy.

13. Curt

Curt Avatar

My impression when prosperity tools was made was that tools could be described to be from +1 to +5
    and prosperity tools would be +4 , indestructible and not upgradeable
    while the artisitan tools would be +1 and possible to be upgraded.

14. fantalio

fantalio Avatar

If something doesn't change I'll be melting down my set for add-on store credit before the final wipe for sure. 3% meticulous isn't worth it for the price is costs. I'd rather just stick with my artisan tools if I needed something indestructible.

Weren't these supposed to be nearly the best tools in the game? Right now they sit in my bank...

15. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Or sell them to someone who does want them... :)
    (Mostly useful for individual ones, since the kits are still available)

16. agra

agra Avatar

That being the case, can we expect to see the equivalent station items, that is, something better than or equivalent to Expert crafting tables being craftable in-game before July 28th, 2016?
    The precedent has been set with pledge-item crafting tools, so it seems reasonable something similar would happen with pledge-item crafting stations.
    Note that whatever the decision is, either yes or no, it will have a significant impact on the Land Rush, so it's important to get a firm answer long before July 28th, 2016.

17. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

For me actually the money is not the issue it is the honor of the situation. I love these engraved kits as they exist now. My gathering has never been so enjoyable. Personally, if I had the choice between the prosperity tools and the engraved in game ones for $140 I would have happily taken the latter and forked over the cash. As it is I have to kick myself for donating the $140 for the items. The draw for those items was their added utility and return. Those who did not donate now enjoy the benefits to the same extent I do. I just hope for the sake of crafters who want to engage in business, that crafting expertise is managed so that they do not find after months and months of training that a game mechanic is introduced that will negate all their work analogous to the prosperity tool situation we have now.

18. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

According to the post I linked above we're suppose to be able to upgrade prosperity tools though at some point, just not to the best of tools available in game. Is this no longer going to be the case?

Aye, it's a matter of selling them to us with certain details about them changing them after the fact, not the money we've already spent for them. We didn't buy them at such a high price just for indestructable, we have artisan tools for that. If it's in game items that's fine, that happens a lot, but when you purchase an item with RL money that's suppose to be one thing then it changes drastically that's the problem.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  19. eSpiRaL

eSpiRaL Avatar

IMHO... You should make the expensive store bought tools more useful than they currently are. Undercutting them with relatively easy to acquire in game items was never the deal and to suggest otherwise is being disingenuous.

20. Noric

Noric Avatar

I'll agree that prosperity tools should be better than now, but still notably worse than engraved ones.

Given their unlimited durability and low weight i think prosperity tools are great for backups and convenience for tools people don't bother with engraved versions of.

Black Tortoise likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.