EP2 Stretch Goal Dissapointments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boris Mondragon, Jul 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I will try to be both candid and respectful in my opinion. If it causes me to get moderated or banned then I will take it in stride so here it goes:

First of all I see all the things they included in their EP2 Stretch Goal and frankly they could have expanded the menu a bit more. I will limit this to 3 additional items for @Lord British , @DarkStarr and @Chris to look at.

1)Ship Movement and Ship Battles. I was told by one of you that this was an EP2 priority, Unless I missed something it was not included at all and imagine the lost revenues in Town/City water lot sales and ship sales as now we just have a ship that goes nowhere. If those that have one want it for decoration and RP only then great for you. I am not here for either but rather to kick *** and take over the novian seas.

2)New Ores for crafting. How difficult would it be to create shadow, verite and valorite ores from a mixture of Bronze, Meteoric Iron and Constantan ores with the addition of silver and gold to those ores, This would sure bring some crafters back and give our current crafters something extra to go along with EP2 recipes.

3) Guild Wars and Factions; An endgame to make all that grueling grinding worthwhile. You want to encourage PVP and started it with the Obsidian Trials? How about give us the chance to instill alliances/wars/politics/novian domination to the game.

In short, Its about making a bold statement of intent. For now I will start to dismantle my pirate galleon as soon as the accumulated paid taxes expire. at 3500 gold per day its not worth it to keep paying taxes on something that does not move. Think about it gentlemen, this is about being bold not bland, time to bring players back and bring in new ones with something to really cause excitement.

Respectfully Submitted.

R/Boris/El Pirata

2. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

I really thought they were kidding... but apparently not.
    Old stretch goals from EP 1. Not even anything NEW... Don't gimme that new horse skin BS.
    I PAID toward those failed stretch goals LAST TIME And now you wanna try it again?

I was sort of under the impression that Port wanted to place ride able mounts in game for EP 2 since it WAS a SG in EP 1
    I guess not. They are going to place the burden and BLAME directly on US the player for not getting it funded.

Not a single mention of Sailing. NONE... Not even as a SG

Guess there are 2 things I can count on ....
    We are never going to see these items and apparently I can't be confident that what is promised will be delivered.

I'm a Duke, Lord, Citizen several times over pledge to this game and I really gotta say I think you all lost track of the ball across the board on this.

REALLY take some time to think about all those broken promises made to all those who have shown their monetary support.

I for one am disappointed.

Don't even get me started on this SUBSCRIPTION STUFF! That's ANOTHER WHOLE BALL OF B@#$#!@#

My 2 cents

Laz

Vaiden Luro, Olddog, Kaffien and 26 others like this.
  3. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

I'm all for boats, pirates, fishing, treasure maps & treasure hunting, naval combat, boarding parties, sea monsters, just everything related to pirates or at least steps in that direction with usage of ships in general... AND.... BOOTY!!! More booty! Better booty! We need more booty and booty diversity!!

Witcheypoo, Olddog, Tracker and 6 others like this.
  4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I agree to @Boris Mondragon

I returned to the game recently, but i approach it very different now.
    Very unambitioned only playing one or the other day and i do not buy or support Portalarium anymore, i want to check what is able to do, what fun i can have without spending money, without a Subscription, not even paying attention to livestreams.
    They had 11 Million in total iirc.
    Sure they need to finance it and i'm not salty about the shop or stuff, but i want to try the game now without any real Money involved and want to see how far i can get as a casual and have fun or how fast i feel behind and disadvantaged , not related to gamemechanics or skills, thats anyway the case :p, but from having the cool stuff, the shiny things and all that.
    I have a lot of it and i think i only missed one Telethon between August '16 and March '18, but now i dont want to give more or are hyped to get this or that.

Lets hope everything went well for SotA and Portalarium.
    I will play this game here and there, but i have no big aims or plans or much hope the population will increase or SotA becomes a good RPvX Sandbox.
    But i like some things about the game and if i dont pay serious attention to it , it maybe can please me again.

I completely agree that to ask for money for Ep2 Stretchgoals what were promised erlier is something to get a little nuts about it.

Have Fun - Stun

Vaiden Luro, Olddog, StarLord and 4 others like this.
  5. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

maybe they should use the total amount that was pledged the last time and just add to that???

6. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Portalarium is in need of funding and had to pare back the goals and team. They really need to focus on player retention and stop with the endless nerf/buff/nerf/buff/nerf cycles of making the players we gain leave. Drastic nerfing should have ended with the full release. Instead drastic nerfing has occurred nearly every update since release.

I believe the foundation of the horse mechanics would be built upon for sea travel. Since both a horse and a ship are vehicles they likely share similar technologies. One will likely follow the other.

Lets hope Portalarium Devs stop pissing off the current players and focus on bringing in more players. Don't lose hope, yet.

7. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

They have done exactly that. It's at 30,890 of 250,000
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=40715

Again.... just pointing out what seems obvious is all.

8. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

As long as the stretch goals continue from where they left off, I don't really see a problem with it.

With that said... does anybody have a spare white foal? I converted mine to credits a long time ago... :(

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  9. Floors

Floors Avatar

So, let me tell you a little story. I live in an NPC town called Brekken Bay, which is just north of Brittany. I have a lighthouse there that is one of my favorite residences. Occasionally, players with Boats ( I think it's water city lots) will come and place their ships there for a few days, so it appears that a new ship has come in and is visiting the port. I find this to be really cool and I think it's just by accident as a player is testing out one area with a house and then moves it somewhere they like better, but it gives the effect of ships visiting ports which adds a HUGE amount of excitement to the game, as I feel I live in a real town. Perhaps some of you should consider doing this to simulate ship movement until we get it.

Making these huge areas seem more lively needs to be a focus of Ep 2. I know we're getting new areas that everyone is gonna want to move to because LB's castle will be there and the palaces of the virtues and anti-virtues or whatever, but please continue to enhance the mainland.

How about rare animals you need to travel to different towns to hunt ? Tree resources in POT ?? come on, open it up. I'd love to have conversations with hunters and foresters in my town. There are whole regions of these huge maps nobody goes to atm because they have no reasons to. Let's change that. Hows that possibly gonna unbalance the game with the players we have now :)

Also as far as paying - you don't have to pay. If you feel you've given enough to the game, don't pay anymore. I'm putting a 9 dollars in a month because I'll need the Cotos, and I bought some quality of life stuff that I enjoy, but you know, it's all optional, so if you're cashed out on the game thats should be fine.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  10. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother; I see your point. I have suggested so many things that will make the game more enjoyable and make Port money than you can imagine. I also signed up for the monthly rewards mainly for the COTOs and Potions that I use yet felt like they missed the boat (pun intended). The main point I am trying to make is to have an end game where the players/guilds decide who controls what part of or the entire continent. I cannot see the grind to kill a new mob and farm a new spot which gets old quickly without a higher purpose especially now that they (Port) are trying to get us involved in PVP. Imagine the scenarios with ship to ship, ship to port, etc battles actually worth something. R/Boris/El Pirata

11. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Perhaps one way to think about it is the approach they are taking.

If they just unveiled a massive multiplayer battle like Pokemon Go did where the event flopped due to unanticipated participation, then that'd cause a whole lot of disappointment. They'd be throwing a dart at a wall 300 meters away and hoping it lands and sticks. Port had their own similar event ages ago where a well attended PVP tournament ran into trouble because everyone's framerate and sync were in the basement.

If they took iterative steps to get towards that goal. Then they can be more confident of success in achieving that end. Think about it...

Step 1: Dance parties. Test the synchronization and frame rate between a non-small set of game clients interacting together basically at idle. How do framerates and sync handle in the easy case of large groups of participants.

Step 2: Dragon attacks: With the fixes from step 1. Test large groups against small number of concurrent monster spawns. See how player framerate and sync work hold up and make fixes to improve. Test fixes with additional dragon attacks.

Step 3: Obsidian Trials. Now that some of the kinks have been worked out in having players cluster and able to do things... See how well people do in a competitive environment with players interacting more with each other. I.E. larger number of players with larger number of targets. (Targets being the players themselves).

So they are working towards the larger goal of large participant count events in different situations. They are doing it in a set of milestones to iteratively build towards that goal knowing that they have an at least semi-stable foundation to move to the next step.

So my advice is, if you are interested in ship to ship player combat and the like to recognize the steps needed to get there and then to support those steps for them to get to your goal. The support doesn't necessarily have to be monetary. Assisting in the events that they throw to help develop and test the framework to build the systems you want also helps out.

I suspect eventually the stretch goal store option of usable boats will come back just like the mounts thing. I suspect the cash I dropped on supporting ships the first time will be there in the stretch goal fund for it just like the cash I dropped on rideable mounts was.

12. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

I figure since the Obsidian Trials is a fairly vacant and non-interactive landscape then their next trick will be a multiplayer PVP area with interactive weapons. Say towers with vats of oil that players can use on each other. Possibly setting up a tower defense scenario. Vats of oil are already in the game a la Verdantis Mines. Testing the PvP interactive traps like dumping oil paves the way for things like cannons. Also they may work on ways to damage and repair those interactive weapons.

Also, the logic supporting looking through the telescope may eventually become weapon sights for interactive weapons.

Just a hunch... time will tell. Depends on time, participation, and available funding.

13. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

That sounds like ArchAge :D

Brugas and Boris Mondragon like this.
  14. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

The real problem is that our ships cannot be docked at a POT island dock! Movable boats will happen with time. But I cannot even place mine where I need to in Dara Bare.

15. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother; I agree with you on the aesthetics of where you can dock a ship in a POT. Though you cannot dock in on the main dock area, we have docked as many as three ships in Serenite. Feel free to look at where my Pirate Galleon is docked as well as the one that belongs to@Vox Aquila. That was but one of my disappointments and I can live with it until and if there is ever a day when they can sail/battle. My main disappointment is still the lack of an end game which is one of the things I would look for if I was looking to purchase this game. IMHO, the day you can enter this game knowing you can purchase a home, deco it, level your character to make a difference and then be part of a great series of epic battles for Novian continent domination will be the day this game reaches it full potential and can compete with other games out there who do offer that. R/Boris/El Pirata

Vaiden Luro and Vox Aquila like this.
  16. Bioxide

Bioxide Avatar

I agree, im very angry there is not boat stuff.

17. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

If only we lived in a world where everything was given to us for free. But we don't. Companies have to make money to keep going. If they don't make money, they don't survive. So why would you not support it? You don't have to spend more than 5 dollars a month to contribute.

What game out there is completely free?

18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

This is where I decide to put more of my money in or not. Ive supported enough and expected boats in eps 2, ill just save any future investments till sailing and boat fishing is in.( with the exception of the sub that actually does benefit me).

Esp 1 got about 10k from me.
    Esp 2 will get $9 month unless boats will be in it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  19. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

I agree with @Sol Stormlin
    SotA is still better than i would ever expected on the amount of cash they collected so far, not everything is fine like i would like to see it but come on, its already a great game at all.
    Sure they still need money to develop further, thats why i bought some of the new pony stretchgoals and using the s-word thingy now.

20. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

I for one am very excited about episode 2 I love the stuff about taming and gear. I think the game is making great progress, while I am not a pvper, I am excited to try the Obsidian Trials. More tamable pets coming and improvements to gear are exciting! The game gets a little better each month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.