"Escape" skill discussion (group dynamics)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, Jul 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

So I just GM'ed the escape skill after playing with it for 8 hours in Tears yesterday. A few comments on it.

Even though I've returned to my archery and wear leather, I end up being the tank in the group. So most the agro pulls directly to me.

The skill works great!

However, its far to limited by the fact you designed it as an area/range skill. At GM the range is 15. I can quickly press it once or twice and melee break off me but in most Tears pulls there are a lot of archers (or casters) and it does not them. This skill should be more like "vanish" in WoW where you disappear to all mobs and they all switch targeting.

amarious and Stundorn like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Escape also remove the slowing effect from Disabling Shot.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

But there's a vanish skill already in Moon Magic, its actually called "Vanish". And Subterfuge has its equivalent in the Camouflage skill. The devs don't need to create a third skill to duplicate the same functionality. It wouldn't even really make sense for Escape to do that IMO; the only reason its in Light Armor because of the idea that quick movement from light armor would let you evade an enemy.

But as someone who mostly does solo play, I think they have to improve the skill, and add more to it than simply have it function as a limited use in a party mechanic. Personally, I've been thinking about it and would like to have it be able to suppress combat mode, so you can use the skill, exit combat mode quickly and then use things on your non-combat bar, heal at a normal rate for a short time, but with a long cooldown and a great expenditure of Focus.

4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@2112Starman would this skill work for someone who just want to harvest to avoid fights in adventuring zones?

Edit :does vanish or Shaddowwalk now reduce aggro?

I am not sure but it seems to walk invisible over the OWM Encounters seem to not caught you like before.

5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I would dump the large focus cost, as if I'm in a situation that's going downhill quickly, part of it may be due to being low on focus. Maybe better to include a focus regen debuff?

6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I think some of the earlier posters didnt understand the purpose of "escape" and got confused that I used the term "vanish" from Wow. It has absolutely nothing to do with the "stealth" features of this game in the sub and moon trees.

The purpose of "escape" in this game is to lower agro, especially in groups. It should not effect solo play at all since the player is a single agro on the mobs list when being attacked. you press escape and you are the next agro on their list :)

The point of my post is that it works fine, when I press the skill all the mobs within 15 radius break off me but in most situations there are mages and archers still out there past 15 that are still hitting me. "escape" should work for all mobs in the area. In fact, this is usually where the mages and archers are so "escape" doesn't work at all as intended. That mob has 8 people hitting it with damage filling its agro list. When I press escape, even the archers and mages should see my name drop significantly lower on the agro list and then go after the person 2nd on the list.

Side note: This is how agro is generally designed. The mob while being attacked start to maintain a list of argo and it goes after the person highest on its list, for example, that archer that just used rapid fire and hit 5 crits on the mob. Tuant skill increases that agro so they move up the list, escape lowers agro so they go down on the list. Mobs go after the person whos causing it the most agro.

Stundorn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.