Etceter Crag Mines (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Poor game design, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I would question what both of your adventurer levels are. High level skills is not an indication of a High Adventurer level. Unfortunately the game ties too much of the hit chance to adventurer levels, and the liches are pretty high level mobs. That said, I am able to solo them, I have a GM in death touch, and every other skill is 80 or lower. I am now Adventurer level 75, and back when I soloed them last, I was around level 60 or 50, maybe 40.. I really can't remember, but time-wise, it was over a week ago IRL time. Not much help, I know :)

2. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Hmmm, I actually disagree there, but I'm not trying to argue. I believe to be a pure mage in any tree, you will be limiting yourself willingly, therefore the normal quests are certainly not expected to cater to the weakest tree.. should this quest be able to be completed by any pure mage? It should be complete-able by a Death mage, I can agree there.. I DO BELIEVE it is absolutely complete-able by a high enough Adventurer level Death Pure user. Does RG intend his players to only use one tree to complete it? Not sure, so your query is valid... but the reasoning flawed.

3. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

given the nature of the quest, it should be easier to complete with death magic rather than with out it. when i got to this part I deleted my death mage and started over. death magic is broken.

4. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Possibly.. though I think because of it's reliance on a pet, you should use that pet and level it and all the innates available for it. I tend to take bits of trees here and there, and build my avatar using a wider range of spells.
    The situation in the caves is much different with a strong buddy (or pet) to help with mobs.. but that also requires learning how to fight with a pet, something I didn't work on long, and got myself strong enough without the pet.. using other trees unfortunately (?). I believe the Death tree as a pure tree, is strong enough as long as you are using the pet to the fullest advantage. Which I admit, the tactics elude me :D

5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

This is however, important since the quest is a Death quest from the Death Trainer. I would like to see these type of master skill quests be able to be uniquely completed using ONLY the tree in question. How could this be applied to a quest like this one, where DPS is the true factor here?

Moonshadow likes this.
  6. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

could start by making a ghosts damage be lessened based on your death attunement, but really i hope for more challenging quests, they don't nessicarilly need some sort of genius riddler game or anything but i have not found a challenging quest in this game yet, granted i have been trying to wait till launch to go on my questing spree but from what I've seen, there is a lot to be desired.

one of the best table top adventures I had was a quest to get a necromancer to train me, he told me to kill this small village and bring him there bodies, while fairly straight forward, it was not easy but it was fun.

Fister Magee likes this.
  7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I would hope death drains that are cast on myself are less painful since I have a positive death attunement... but I'll need an 'expert' to yell at me how that really works haha! (referring to another thread on attunement elsewhere..)

... so do death drains hurt me less? :)

Moonshadow likes this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, they hurt you less (in theory, assuming attunement is working correctly).

Chris has previously stated that's how it's supposed to work. That undead have "high" death attunement and that is why I can't kill the lich using only death magic. Which makes total sense. However it doesn't explain why the Lich can kill me when I have high death attunement. (although the Lich does have a melee weapon and that part makes sense)

I don't believe that attunement has been balanced correctly and there are likely many things that are not working as designed at the moment. But that's my personal opinion.

Fister Magee and Moonshadow like this.
  9. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Mine too.. frustrating to not know what is working and what is not..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.