Everyone's thoughts on forcing PVE players into Open PVP areas along the main storyline.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by twofoldsilence, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Concur; Its the reason I have a Pirate Galleon docked in Serenite waiting for the day it can sail with a full crew and unleash hell on opposing coastal towns and ships. *grins* R/Boris/El Pirata

Numa likes this.
  2. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Well, if the outrage over misinformation doesn't stop, I'm going to QUIT! That's where I draw the line at playing this game.

Numa and Alley Oop like this.
  3. dreamlarp

dreamlarp Avatar

I find it amazing that EVERYONE hates to be forced into pvp but they think it's ok to force crafters into combat. I have posted many times about the statement they make during kickstarter that we would never make an endless resource grind game nor force us into game play they we do not like yet they force us into combat to craft. How come there wasn't this much outrage about being forced into the type of character that some of us hate?

4. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

I do not see a issue with the topic. Solution is go in single player mode or friends only mode.

5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

PvP+ Areas force you to Multiplayer. This was a change made by the development team at the insistence of the PvP+ Community.

Barugon and Gix like this.
  6. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

I think the 80% non PVPers would not like that much and move on or burn down the forums constantly on it. If that is the case a alternative route should be provided vs forced PVP. Or just make the whole game PVP if there is penalties to not wanting to PVP... That way the high level PVEers can target the High PVPers low level alts LOL

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

There are alternate routes... That has always been the plan... If there were no alternate routes I would have been burning down the forums constantly, or would have moved on long ago.

8. Whitestag

Whitestag Avatar

Throw up a spoiler :)

9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Oh, this topic again.
    Yes, still hate that you have to go into PvP zones to take the most direct route to story quests. Yes there are longer, more time consuming routes, but that's not really the point. Don't think we should be forced into PvP zones for anything. Don't think we should get an xp penalty for not flagging either. PvP should be a choice, and I really hate this trend of incentivizing it more and more. If you like to PvP, then PvP. I don't think there's any reason to get a special bonus for doing it or why the game keeps finding ways to drag disinterested parties into it for unrelated benefits. The only saving grace at the moment is that the PvP zones are usually deserted due to lack of interest so you can usually pass through unmolested. PvP seriously needs a reward system based on PvP that benefits PvP, so the rest of us can go about our business. Until this exists, we are constantly going to have threads like this because a large portion of the community has no interest in PvP and doesn't want it inflicted on them.

Nemesis2, Dantuin, Stundorn and 6 others like this.
  10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I Agree 100%, and everyone that I know feels the same way that you do, @kaeshiva .
    The reason why "the game" keeps trying to "drag disinterested parties into it" is because the lead dev likes PvP a lot. In fact, at one point he called those who don't enjoy PvP "cowards".
    So, there you have it.
    Until @Lord British realizes this and exerts control over what is happening, it will continue - as will SotA's decline in popularity among the majority of those here in "Pre-Release"...

Scanphor, Dantuin, Saesa and 3 others like this.
  11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes, really a sad state of affairs.
    And I think thats an important misconception - re: "cowards." I don't avoid pvp because I'm afraid of being killed, I avoid PvP because I am trying to achieve something in the game - be it a quest, acquisition of resources, helping another player, levelling up, etc. and I don't want to be interrupted by some gank squad any more than I want to be interrupted by having to get up and answer the door to get the pizza delivery. Its interference in what I'm trying to do, and it seems any game that allows such interference ends up with a section of the playerbase who THRIVE on such interference and indeed, the only way they seem to be able to have fun is to inconvenience other people. I don't think that sort of behavior should be encouraged, much less rewarded. I don't want to be white knuckling my mouse, panning the camera around looking for danger at every turn, worrying about getting jumped and thwapped if I have to step away to get a drink, etc. I guess I'm just too old for that crap. If I wanted to deal with any of that, I'd go play an FPS or something.

Nemesis2, Dantuin, Jens_T and 6 others like this.
  12. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Oh I remember when said individual made this comment. It made me chuckle.

As a Firefighter, who HATES PvP, I just smiled and thought to myself, "Says the guy who sits behind a computer all day with his toughest decision being what shoes to wear that day. Gimme a break." :rolleyes:;)

Dantuin, Jens_T, Womby and 5 others like this.
  13. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

Someone had to say it. Nice post @FrostII. I just do not know if they are just denying to themselves what is truly going on or whether they just can no longer see the Forest for the Trees. And it is not just about special items or additional resources. The most valuable item in the game is my own personal time. When I am forced to endure combat and death penaly times. travel restrictions, teleport restrictions etc, etc, just because of the PvP system, then I am being forced to give up something. My Time!

Dantuin, Jens_T, Saesa and 3 others like this.
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

There isnt really an issue with resource grind, as much as there is an issue with buy/sell orders(many of them are out of the range of the average adventurer, and can only be filling by grinding resources).

When you go to a scene and play around for half an hour or so, you easily end up with a handful of a couple of resources(maybe 2 beetles, 20 cotton, 5 wood, 10 iron) that you cant sell to anyone. However, you can mine iron harvest cotton and wood in healthy doses without fighting anything. Skleton dogand deer encounters have a wood without any need to fight anything. There are scenesyou can mine iron without having to fightanything, and you can grow cotton.

Similar to the forced pvp situation. There isnt one. Its justa shortcut

Stundorn, Numa and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Curt

Curt Avatar

There is 3 Shardfalls and 8 ruins If i read the map right. So its possible to PvP in 100% off the world and possible to PvE in ?% of the world

Dantuin, mass and Cordelayne like this.
  16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Hopefully this will be addressed at the same time it becomes possible to put a stack of items on a vendor and set a per-item price on the stack...

Likewise a buy order would set a price and a maximum amount to be purchased... 50gp per ore with a maximum of 100... Sell 10 for 500 and the maximum decrements to 90.

EMPstrike likes this.
  17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It's possible to PvP in 100% of the world, and, for those who won't consent to PvP, possible to play in somewhat less than 100%... This has always been the case. It's the concession that the PvE community made to the PvP+ community to support their gameplay.

Barugon likes this.
  18. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

not ENTIRELY true. there are some story scenes that force solo.

19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

A concession ? I think not, as I don't remember being asked - much less conceding anything regarding the amount of development time used to promote PvP.
    And I've been here (every day) for 3 years now....

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Dantuin and Cordelayne like this.
  20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Yep, all the same topic IMO. The selective mode isn't 100% in our control unless we go offline. Was pointed out that this would be the case early on in the grand scheme of things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.