Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Expanded R9 Insights

Discussion in 'Release 9 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Sorry, Sir Stile, I still don't understand. It's probably the way I asked the questions. Let me try again...

What I'm saying is that I can't really understand why anyone would need to move around in the game using the right mouse button because your left hand is probably always on the keyboard on ASWD anyway. If it's not, what is it doing?

So I thought you were saying that you knew someone that likes to craft using their left hand but walk using the mouse right mouse button. And so I was thought that must mean that they were doing both at the same time, crafting and walking.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Now that I have my mobile Table PC, I find myself trying to use only the mouse for most things. UO excels at this. So I too would like a way to move and interact with objects by only using the mouse since the keyboard will be away. It is nice sitting in my recliner and using the mouse on the recliner arm part. Normally the keyboard is on my lap but some times it is not.

3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Being able to pin a small map, then click on it to make it larger, is a good idea in the 'must have' category I'd say.

Signs in front of player houses with visible information would be nice.

The UI and game play content items are things I expect to see later and am excited about.

On scenes, being able to zone scene to scene, without necessarily having to exit to the overland map is another 'must have' I think.

An integrated deck building system (one window) is another great idea and would be ideal too. I agree its a little too dispersed as is.

The comment on being in combat stance draining focus is interesting. I can see some reasons for that. But how would it ever regenerate in combat in long fights otherwise?

On NPCs and lore, to get at the wise hermit idea, maybe wandering NPCs could have knowledge like this, so the are not in just one place and we would encounter them randomly.

I disagree that every spell needs reagents on the basis of game balance alone. Plenty of other games do it without and balance their games. What I think reagents do do for us is create limitations for mage game play, forcing powerful ranged damage ability to be 'reloaded'. If reloading is the mechanic we are talking about, that is fine and reagents are fine, but then limit the amount of reagents that can be carried. There is not much practical game play point for one evening of time for having reagents if I can carry a four week supply with me and never worry about running out in a night's battle.

4. Drocis the Devious

That seems like a valid reason. Maybe there could be a way to compromise and allow people to map whatever they want to the right mouse button then.

Mercyful Fate likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Well, there are focus potions and skills and spells that min/max focus. The point is to keep people from walking around in combat mode so that they're "always ready". Or to keep people from jumping out of the bushes at people that are not ready and getting free initiative simply because they waited for 15 minutes for someone to walk by.

You bring up a very good point about the balance between how many reagents you can have at one time and how fast they are consumed. But I think that's a separate issue entirely compared to if spells should require them or not. My preference would be to make spells more powerful than they are now, but require reagents to cast them all and make it so you couldn't carry and endless supply of them with you. I like redfish's idea about making different potency's of reagents. That would help balance this I think.

6. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

I use the mouse to move around....

Dont really see why it needs to be toggled with...I mean its a generic feature of nearly every 3d MMO...

If you want to map things to a mouse do what everyone else does and BUY a gaming mouse...omg

7. stile

stile Avatar

Man after my own heart as i do the same.

I find a trackball works better on the recliner vs. A mouse, although a hard mouse pad and mouse will work.

Ive lead top level raids in my recliner with this same setup. My reaction times better then if i was at a desk. Im comfortable and relaxed.

Apollyon9515 and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  8. stile

stile Avatar

I looked it up.

/ on the numeric keypad toggles walk mode.

Just remap it to your right mouse button and your good to go.

9. stile

stile Avatar

Yeah, i actually use two. Day to day i use a logitech track ball. The form fitting one that you use your thumb for control. Its simpler then moving a mouse around, easier on the hand.

For gaming i reach over and grab my gaming mouse. Easy and quick. Right tool for the right job.

The game mouse i went with i got specifically for Sota. 6 buttons where my thumb is. 3 on top 3 below. So very easy to trigger with my thumb and match up to quick slots. Just takes a little practice to not think about it.

I set one up to the left of the left click as ctrl.. Hit it and a thumb for discard.although that will take some getting used to!

Downside is if im using more the 6 in a hand, but ive been playing with 8 in combat and the first two as locked. Been happy with the setup so far!

I have 54 programmables to the left of my WASD. Not sure what ill use them for yet.. And its going to take a little getting use to, but i like the setup and cant wait to dig into the possibilities!

sn0tub likes this.
  10. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

1. having a map less intrusive - I'm confident the entire UI will get a good polish closer to the end of feature development

2. signs in front of player houses should have visible information - I think additional unique art / rendered text could add unnecessary load,
    maybe we could be offered a small variety of generic signs or common locally themed arms to choose from

2b. know when they were last online... if they want to sell the house... leave them a message there. - No, please not from the sign! - all of this might be better served by a servant npc or visitor's desk / guest book inside the house. Can't get inside? Maybe they don't want to be disturbed.

3. loading up the game is too many clicks... don't know how to reinstall the new launcher - still in development as per 1.

4. towers with missing ladders - still in development, remember this is still the same town as back in R1 when jumping wasn't even possible

Noone's complaining about all the boarded up doors...

5. Exiting a scene is painful... make the boundaries of all scenes a shade darker... I know it's not as immersive but it's far less annoying. - agree

6. underground teleportation fest - I think this is just for testing purposes, to get access to more scenes without having to provide context

7. toggle walking - (edit: answered above) - anything beats having to use both buttons to jump

8. vendors... make duplicate items stack. (I know this is probably just a bug) - yes

9. - see 1.

10. - you haven't got to the spire of the lord marshall house yet

11. - critical damage is an interesting idea, not sure about the implementation but I think the healing rate is artificially increased for testing

12. - I conclude the exact opposite from your example, consider a sniper or a rogue

13. - seriously? do you want a yellow exclamation mark with that?

15. give them a chance to stop running around ignoring me. - why? also, emotes

16. this is a bug - yep, did you report it?

19. - really?

20. character... worthy... put on robe and wizard hat... - I'm not even thinking about creating a proper character at this point in testing

21. spells without reagents - that's a whole debate that I'm not prepared to enter at this point

Apollyon9515 likes this.
  11. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

LOL

Wait...so stun lock + fire ball = win?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.