Expectations vs. Reality: PvP Edition

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by NativeBrookz, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This game will be a new game. It will have similarities to UO, but it needs to be deveolped with a fresh slate. New thoughts, and new systems need to be in place.

So there are alternative ideas out there. Flagging for PvP should find no lack of enemy combatants, because we are all on one server. So flagging for PvP might in fact find yourself in a world full of battles.

So the ability to host the world on one server makes this an IMPROVED game over UO. So let's come to a compromise and think outside the UO box to develop systems to make PvP fun while still providing risk vs reward, drama, and all kinds of strategy that allows us to think and be entertained while we play.

This is a new game.

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Good point. Also timers should put us in a looting state similar to a "casting" state. It should be able to be interupted.

Also keep in mind Avatars from from earth don't stay dead for some reason. The Avatar might wake up, or phase out of the area and regenerate due to the characters existence being tied to another plane or world.

EDIT: Those are just thoughts, and don't have to actually be what happens.

3. Ara

Ara Avatar

Why dont you inform me and everyone else how that is possible in consensual PvP?

I want consensual PvP with full loot not griefing newbies which i fully detest, their is no honor in such gameplay.

What puzzles me is how you can make a connection btw wanting full loot and PK and grief players in a game with only consensual PvP?

Players that consented to PvP and full loot cant be griefed since they consented.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and wagram like this.
  4. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

i liked it in mortal online you can take over towns with controll towers.

if you have thiefs and grifers in your town , you can kick them out by putting them on the blacklist.

they are now gey to everyone 800 meters near the town

and that you can raid towns

the game had so many players becuase they like the principe

but when you fall everywhere under the map after a patch you wait a half year for and things like that happen

people left :(((

so i hope soth will be like that XD but not buggy we deserve a good sandbox game at least 1

BillRoy, charock and Abydos like this.
  5. Ara

Ara Avatar

This is a good risk vs reward system with a twitch of skills added to it. Skills and some twitch reaction.

It also give players in teamfights time to disturb the looting player and that way defend the corpse being looted.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Isaiah and * Invidia * like this.
  6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

implement a looser version of a murder/criminal system that UO had. ie. so allies don't turn on eachother in battle and kill one another without consequence. There should still be some kind of murderer status, and criminal status but maybe not as strict. Like murderers don't need special statloss etc.

I do think somebody should be flagged as criminal for deliberately attacking someone "innocent" to them (maybe even have a warning that they are committing a crime). I'm defining innocent as a person who is not directly engaged in some kind of war with you, nor a murderer or criminal. However I really think we should have the OPTION to attack an ally if they are flagged for PvP, but not without consequence. The ability to attack somebody that would be morally wrong to attack is exactly what some PvPers want, yet let them be a criminal for it. It creates cool drama too!

So basically we should be able to flag for Open PvP by our guild or through the Blessings of the Oracle. However being flagged for PvP isn't enough because if we can all attack eacht oher freely with NO consequence that doesn't make sense in a game like SotA where virtue is in the name of the game (forsaken virtues).

Also it isn't good if we can only attack some people and not attack others (allies). We should be allowed to play an evil character. So turning against people who would naturally be our allies, or just randomly attacking and killing a person that in no way opposes or threatens you should be considered murder. If you just make an aggressive act on somebody that should make you legally attackable, and you (and others) should be able to kill this person because it was self-defense, or the community helped protect one of it's people. So the ol' turning grey should be there too.

Ara and charock like this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

However blacklisting or blocking players while you are flagged for PvP is not good. Either it will force you into an instance apart from the main group of PvPers, or it will segregate the top PvPers if too many people block the good PvPers.

Therefore a blacklist or blocking should be greyed out in PvP to prevent this. Being flagged for PvP should allow all players to have the chance to encounter one another. To be fair nobody should be filtered out, nor should it only put the best people against the best people.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and charock like this.
  8. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Do what you want, but let me be PK

:D

9. Ara

Ara Avatar

Agree.

Isaiah likes this.
  10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

:eek:
    Hell I want you to be a PK! Being perminantly flagged for PvP doesn't mean you are always looking for a fight. Somebody might flag just for the extra excitement.

If they go to a dungeon or the are traveling along the road and come across something interesting, it would be nice if you could be hiding in that hex waiting for them to mine something, or not pay attention. Then BANG you kill the poor soul.

However that would mean anti-PKs would be looking for people like you. And the players can police the world. Player run crafting, player run police. That would make SotA's PvP awesome, and dramatic I think.

There will always be people who like storming the castle, but its these crazy PKs (if you willfully flag for PvP) that make things dangerous.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  11. Maxe

Maxe Avatar

Then join a guild and have a full loot war with another guild.. and leave me to PvP in the gear I spent hours crafting without risk of losing it.

12. charock

charock Avatar

You're not lucky, I'm a Pk Hunter ! :)

Abydos and Isaiah like this.
  13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

You have a valid concern. However the people who like full loot also have valid concerns. Envy and the dev team are trying to come up with a way to please most people.

To have no loot for winning a battle is just as big of a problem for others as you losing your items. So we all need to be able to be a little flexible.

I like Envy's concept a lot because it makes looting a sport. It isn't going to be easy to get that stuff off of a guy. However some things might be easier to take than other. However if you still have enemy combatants around hitting you, you should get interupted and never be able to loot anything. Not to mention it has a time limit.

Just something to keep your mind open to. At least with that system nobody can loot your whole body, but maybe a few items. However maybe certain exceptional items like high level crafted swords might have chains that attach them to your wrist so they are harder to disarm, and also take longer to loot without breaking the chains.

BillRoy, Ara, Abydos and 2 others like this.
  14. Mizzen

Mizzen Avatar

To return to the original subject, I think the proposed DS is very interesting. Should simply adjust the position on the loot. Many people would like to play SotA with full loot.

Abydos likes this.
  15. Swipes

Swipes Avatar

For me, the equipment purchased should not loot.

Abydos likes this.
  16. Maxe

Maxe Avatar

Regardless of the how the item system will be, it will quickly get fairly obvious which items it will be most rewarding to loot first.. for example the weapon.

I think the ransom idea caters to everyone. People who want to spend all their time PvPing can make a living that way if they're good enough... and then use the ransom gold to buy the items they weren't allowed to loot

Of course it's not quite as thrilling as hitting the jackpot with a loot system, but it will have to do imo...and there's still the rare opportunity of killing someone who ran out of gold and just getting his item(s).

Ara likes this.
  17. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

The ransom system sucks. Who values the item? .... I suspect it will be system generate and it won't reflect the real value in the slightest.

It's a bit like the insurance reward in UO.....completely pointless, if I kill a player I might get 3.5k when their suit is worth 100mill.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Isaiah, charock and 2 others like this.
  18. Swipes

Swipes Avatar

A bit simplistic.

The pvplayers will make crafts too, will decorate their home and more. Do not see the people who want full loot like a stupid prehistoric man.

19. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I had written something along these lines before:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?posts/191545

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Isaiah like this.
  20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

And, it's another thing that they accuse PvE players of doing. The party line is "PvP players are your Loyal Followers! Those PvE players will abandon you for the next big thing." I don't know the answer either way. I have my suspicions, but no data to back it up, or even a logical thought argument, so will make no claim.

If someone has some actual data, I'd love to see it.

Silent Strider likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.