1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Explanations on monetization thinking on SotA

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Jun 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Then you should have started complaining during the Kickstarter when Lots and Houses, and Prosperity Tools were for sale.
    To have 0% Pay to Win is an un-achievable goal.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Time Lord and Ice Queen like this.
  2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

All of that takes additional devlopment, testing, and support on a monthly basis, increasing operating cost. This means that it would need to first pay for itself and then pay for everything else.

Do you honestly believe that they hadn't considered that option?

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I think if you start spamming Nobles Chat, a very limited audience, you'll quickly be ignored. I certainly wouldn't be receptive to such solicitation.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Until this morning's patch, the durability was completely broken. For those semi techy, the bug with it was that both the current and max durability were being stored as floating point in memory but then as an integer when serialized to the database. So for instance, you got hit by, oh say a bear, three times and it lowered your durability from 100 current and max to to 99.992 current and 99.9992 max durability. When you zoned, the server would serialize it out to MongoDB but it would do it as an integer, meaning no decimal places. So that 99.992 and 99.9992 would get turned into 99 and 99. So post zoning, it would come back and you would have lost 1 full point off of each despite only getting hit a few times.

It seems there are just a few people here who are fairly emotionally hijacked and panicking about this change. Please wait and see how it works in game before raging too much more. I'm sure some of you remember how much rage their was over the skill decay design. 50+ page threads over how horrible it was before it even was in the game. Now, anyone even notice it? I've had people asking me if it is even turned on. Well, it is turned on and working as designed. My belief is that this will largely be the same.

Also, for those suggesting some kind of month subscription with cosmetic goods as a bonus, we are absolutely considering something just like that. At least one of the proposals being thrown around would also include some coins, probably more than most would need, at a good exchange rate. Discussions on going...

Go try out the patched durability stuff and see how it feels. Feel free to give me feedback on Discord or message me in the forums if you have further comments as I believe this thread has pretty much run its course in terms of constructive conversation and I probably won't check back much this weekend.

5. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

As long as pure crafters are able to get his producer XP from something else than gathering. If not, all crafters will be gatherers. I suppose it will be fixed, but it's worth remembering.
    So... you are implying that we should be able to overcome all the game in basic gear, and if we can't it's because we should level up some more? If i got it right... this time i have to disagree. Not only with the quoted post but with everyone that keeps trying to make this into nothing. Because i could accept it doesn't mean the issue is not there.

Regarding the quoted text, here's my experience. Everytime i've been leveling up fighting against mobs of my level, which was confirmed by the con system. Eventually i could not stand against mobs of my level with the starter gear or basic gear from vendors, and if i stayed in easier scenes killing stuff below my level my progression was reduced to nothing.

When that time comes the only solution i found was to swap for some tier 1.5 gear (some advanced materials, while keeping the rest basic). I end up crafting it myself because i end up having all the raw materials i need and with expert crafting stations is quite easy. Last cycle when i reached around level 60 i started feeling the same; the game was telling me it was time to upgrade, but never went beyond that.

I'd bet that the game has been balanced considering the average gear players will have for each level (like every MMO is), and even when probably high end gear is above those balance representing an advantage, and top quality gear could be a slightly greater advantage, that doesn't make COTO a luxury item. In a game where gear dies, and exceptional gear is hard to be produced, that gear will be repaired ad nauseam, and the player that's able to keep his gear alive will be in advantage above the rest because of all the reasons lots of us have been stating.

I can acknowledge logical numbers, but let's not make black into white. An advantage is an advantage, and something so desirable as keeping your best gear for whenever you can, is as mandatory as it gets. As mandatory as running in a race even when there's no goal.

I'll make the most of this rant to say that i don't believe everybody will be carrying secondary gears. Some won't mind to pay whatever its needed to stay donned in their top gear, and that is an advantage. Those people are paying to increase their chance to win. And even more with the affinity system coming up, as it has been said above.
    Probably i just did it exactly that. But only because an issue may not be considered a big deal doesn't make it right to completely diminish it. The dead horse is still being beaten, but only because people who are worried about the dead horse are being told that there's no horse at all.

Because i have no doubht that you lot know what you are doing I'm pretty sure it will work when appropiately tweaked, But at what cost? :p

6. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I would, if I could play among all the bugs! :mad:

Seriously, yes, the decay at the end of R28 was fairly noticeable, thanks for asking.

7. agra

agra Avatar

Yay! I get to quote myself! (from another thread)
    It certainly isn't 1/10th of what it was in the rest of the R30 builds. Are you certain the new rates are in play in 426?

8. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Hmm.. the floating point - integer bug was only affecting durability after zoning/crashing and coming back.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Hmmm.

I came I read...I still can't buy the COTO thing

oh well

Ice Queen, KuBaTRiZeS and Time Lord like this.
  10. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

[​IMG]

11. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

I am still losing my primary and max durability at the same rates. I used crowns on everything right after the patch to check and see. It all seems pretty much the same pre and post 426, maybe a little slower overall. I'm down about 6 points on everything after less than a day of my normal play.

Aldo, agra, Jarl Atogrim and 6 others like this.
  12. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

LMAO, Now in total fairness....

There's normal and then.... well...

I mean you DID play a LOT with @Themo Lock

*shrug* I guess there's a universe where TL is "normal" :)

13. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

Well, normal for me, haha :p

14. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I am curious as to how much your skills decayed and how many hours you played in release 28 and 29. I played a total of 2 hours combined and I barely lose anything.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Womby

Womby Avatar

The XP pools for production and adventuring are independent, so I'll be levelling up both. I have the time.

16. Snikorts

Snikorts Avatar

I gave up on this topic becouse devs denies to reconsider decay model even after 50+ page threads.
    Actually we haven't had enough time to test it. There is no point to spend long hours on Avatar progression in constant wiping scenario.
    Let's see how it will work after R32.
    I am sure that this topic will be brought up once again :)

17. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Great opening post, thanks Chris!

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Good, this will ease some of the need to lean p2w. (Insert thumbs up emote here)

Lord Baldrith, Snikorts and Time Lord like this.
  19. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I rushed the Ranged skill, and reached lvl 105 in a very little time. Then I turned it off around halfway to 106, and by the time the wipe hit, it almost lost that half level, having only a tiny slice of green left in lvl 105.

In R26-27-28 I played a lot, maybe around 100 hrs (I was around lvl 70). In R29-30, for our Linux problems, I don't think I totalled 3-4 hrs of active play (I'm lvl 32).

With two hours you don't eve start the decay mechanics, that begins at a certain point of the skill progression.

Womby, Chris, Pickley and 3 others like this.
  20. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

Thanks for sharing your numbers. I guess I should pay closer attention to the green bars of each skill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.