Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Falling damage is way to high...

Discussion in 'Release 13 Feedback' started by Sadistik, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sadistik

Sadistik Avatar

I just think that the fall damage is ridiculous... you jump from a small bump in the ground and lose half your life ... twice you die... kinda bad.

Drystone, Lord Lonn, Tahru and 3 others like this.
  2. Corgano

Corgano Avatar

heh. I was thinking the same thing. I stepped off a rock that was knee high and suddenly I was a ghost. Took me a minute to figure out what happened.

3. Archaeopteryx

Archaeopteryx Avatar

Especially in the beginnig, before having spent points on max life it is just ridiculous, that´s definitely true. I managed to die twice in the burning village just by trying out the jumping...
    Later on one at least survives the not-so-severe-falls, but yes: Falling damage is way to high.

4. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

*takes 980 damage from falling (from an oddly shaped 3ft ledge)*

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

:sigh:

This is a perfect example of how development is more than just "damage = too high". We can apply the same logic that is being used to solve combat issues.

Right now I can jump off a 7 story building and take ZERO damage. But I can fall off fence post and take 1700 damage.

The problem is not that "damage is too high" it's that the mechanics (actually the design of the mechanics) is broken. We can apply the same logic to solve combat issues. The design of the combat system is broken.

So what can we do? We need to START by redesigning how falling damage is calculated. Right now, falling damage appears to be calculated using a timer. The reason people take damage from jumping off small objects is LIKELY because the timer starts calculating a fall the moment a player presses the jump button, or the moment the player moves to unsure footing (i.e. a sloped surface). Which is also the reason that if players don't jump and do not move to a sloped surface (i.e. they just walk off a ledge and allow themselves to fall straight down) they take ZERO damage.

The entire thing is exploitable and yet over powered and crippling at the same time. (much like the combat system)

I'm sure Chris will eventually come up with a better design, but right now his hands are full with many other things (including, hopefully the complete redesign of the combat system).

6. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

I fell of the darn egg [​IMG]

Lord Robertson and Themo Lock like this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL well it is a strange thing. I think it depends on do you want to take the risk. I was in Ardoris yesterday and jumped of the wall to get in the kingsport boat and took 6 damage. I don't think any numbers are set yet. I have also jumped further and taken
    no damage. So as Dirty Harry said "Do you feel lucky Punk"? :)

8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...sane-fall-damage-even-when-using-stuck.19075/

So people claim to have had billions of damage although the one with a screenshot that I've got is for 1.2 M.

While for my R13 house, three story Knight house, I have installed a trampoline way up, with some Hot Tubs to land in on the neighbor lot.
    Jumping those 10+ meters landing in water = 0 damage, while landing on ground or wood = 2, 3 sometimes 6 or 7 damage.

9. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

Falling damage isn't finalized yet. They mention it in like every other Hangout (or I'm just extremely lucky in catching it in the few I watch). They started with it super high and are slowly dialing it back.

I suspect they want to make it "noticeable" ;)

10. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I've jumped off a roof and taken 7 damage. I've been walking without jumping or falling and taken 64,000 damage. I suspect the problem may be with how they are detecting collision. In the last hangout I think Chris mentioned that collision data for objects isn't even pre-baked right now. Maybe they know that this problem will go away with the pre-bake collision data in the future.

Lord Lonn likes this.
  11. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

LOL

Died tonight myself doing the first jump in the sword in the stone easter egg which is about 2ft high and I was full health before the jump.

Lord Lonn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.