Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Fast travel/ Teleport, Portal creation/Horses and pack mules

Discussion in 'Release 31 Feedback Forum' started by SabeSr, Jul 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

These are items that need a solution BEFORE you do final wipe.

Why would I play a game that takes me an hour to get from one side of the map to the other so I can accomplish something then travel an hour (REAL TIME) to travel back... when I've been there many times before.

I'd rather go play wow...

It may have taken me weeks to get high enough level to learn teleport and a month or two before I can open portals for others to use as well... but its IN the game... if you do not have a solution to fast travel long distances you are going to drive away many potential players.

I am willing to spend an hour riding a horse... because the world is that big... I'm NOT willing to WALK it. It means the world is too small yet I've spent an hour of my real life walking across a fake world.

Why do you think UO had runes... recall and portals
    Why do you think WOW has teleport and portals... albeit we have to BUY a port from a mage... big deal warriors earn the gold to afford it... we could still BUY one...

Asherons Call, Everquest... they had their methods... virtually every decent game does.

This is a MUST HAVE OR YOU FAIL RELEASE...

Sure you'll keep your diehard fans... trust me you won't get new players from the average community...

There are UO, WOW, Elder Scrolls players and MORE by the millions waiting for Shroud to come... don't blow it.

2. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

I've only been playing a few weeks, and have not used them yet: but aren't the Recall Scrolls and Teleport Scrolls designed for "fast travel"? As I said I haven't used either yet, and so I'm not familiar with the mechanics of how they work.

Pack animals would be good for Hunter/Gatherers though.

3. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

Recall scroll teleports you to one preset location, such as your house (where I have mine tied) or to a specific town crier.

Teleport only ports you to a "friend" in your friends list and only if they have you added also as your friend... one of you would have to travel to the location and wait there... or run two accounts on two computers.

The system in place is a pathetic solution to the complaints about it that have been voiced for (literally) years.

Mac R likes this.
  4. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

and yes, if they go to final wipe without pack animals and a huge increase in gathering nodes... I will spam the forums until they ban me. The game is supposed to be based with an economy that has deteriorating gear and player built armor and weapons... the node quantity is seriously lacking... keeping weight factors minuscule is no excuse for keeping us from having sufficient nodes for production.

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

...and the lunar rifts?

Brigit and Celthon like this.
  6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I get the feeling you just picked the wrong game.

Celthon likes this.
  7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I disagree on a need for faster direct travel than we have, in general. The game world is not so large (yet) that this feels needed to me.

However, I do think travel could be made much more interesting with a clever use of lunar rifts. Not rifts that rotate destinations and go everywhere and become the easy button. But some that connect point A to point B on some random or celestial, not always on, timer. Rifts seem to be a major lore feature in game that is underutilized. It would be cool to discover a few in secret locations, like dungeons, too. Given the power of rifts, one might expect to see temples built around them. As is they seem more rural after thoughts of a time gone by (which I know is a big part of the intent). Seems like there may be room for a little more creativity here, nonetheless.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  8. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

I understand the op's concern as it is a fact that many, many games out there do not have limited travel like Sota does. I will not shrug the opinion off and I will give it the consideration it deserves. It does take some getting used too not finding it available in this one. That said, Sota so far has said its intentions are not to have fast travel as the new innovative concept is focused on in game economy. Players have voiced strong opinion in not wanting fast travel as it will take away economic strategy and bring in the gold farmers. This is my understanding about it as of now. As stated above this will not be a game for everyone, but I sincerely hope you will give it more consideration and look at it as a new game play style.

Josh Randall likes this.
  9. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

takes 10 mins to run from one side to the other, including control points, what are you doing dude? Do you just stay over encumbered?

We have teleport scroll and recall scrolls? Are you ok? Not paying attention? or just want attention?

Celthon and Elnoth like this.
  10. Mortanius

Mortanius Avatar

I concur... make the lunar rifts like waypoints. It's not about how big the world is/ isn't. It's about having the OPTION to fast travel. If you feel like walking every single step to get immersed, that is you prerogative. Me, I like fast travel. Saves time. Give us the option! There's no reason not to.

11. Lained

Lained Avatar

Buy a pair of coconuts.

Alley Oop likes this.
  12. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

Unfortunately, I agree with the OP and in doing so am in the minority.

I'm not going to spam until they ban, I would just leave and play a game more to my liking.

I'm having an OK time so far. Not a great one and not a bad one - it's just OK for me.

The people and community are great and are one of the things that is actually keeping me here.

However, IMO travel is archaic at best.

If we use the economy as logic for slow travel, don't we then have to look at the resources that drive the economy?

I'm not saying to increase the spawn rate, but I am suggesting that as more players enter the game - specially in the beginning, the pressure put on obtaining resources is going to put a strain on the economy.

Traveling to obtain resources at low levels is a significant if not impossible effort for the "young" (my term for newbie).

I also find the economy to be quite a bit one sided.

You have players now who have invested quite a bit of real money in the game - no problem. But then you have players who either don't know about the game yet, don't have the funds to contribute or whatever the reason will not be entering the game until "go live".

This alone places the economy at risk since those players in game now and after the final upcoming wipe will have a huge advantage over new players.

I understand the OP's concerns with travel, I have them as well - I like to be able to travel much quicker than is currently possible - markable runes, portals, rift stones anything of this sort would suit me just fine - I don't mind having to quest for them either.

IMO too much emphasis is placed on player economy and I really don't see that happening - gold farmers aside which you are always going to have.

I understand completely that this game is not for everyone. However, I also understand that making the game is a business and must be profitable to continue.

Slow travel, while not a part of any other current game is something I believe will turn off quite a few players rather than give them something to look forward to in a new genre.

Just my Opinion of cource ;)

13. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

some people prefer the adventure of the journey over the sense of completion at the destination. some people dont get a sense of completion at the destination unless there is an adventurous journey.

Elnoth likes this.
  14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Packed animals and mount won't be available by the end of episode one due to the stretched goals for them weren't met by deadline.

However, you can approach the mount speed traveling while wearing the two coconuts already.

I'm not sure what could have taken you an hour to go across the world. It took me only 10-15 minutes to travel from Graff mine to Elysium mine and from Ardoris to Valhold depending on how long the scene load took, random encounters, and/or client crashes.

15. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

If they release to public without horses, the game will become a total joke to new players that will leave quickly...

Shroud will dwindle to having as few players as UO now has.

But oh well, it's just the players money that was spent not their own to develop the game... no big loss.

I may as well consider my money thrown to a hope for a great game... and wasted. As well as the time I've taken trying to help them build a good game and annoyed a lot of people in forums.

I seriously hope this isn't the case... but if it is I can honestly say they won't receive another dime from me.

16. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

There are many UO players out there that play non-mount shards because they hate mount, you know? Those Felluca-based T2A free shards are still a thing nowadays.

The size of the over world here on Episode 1 is nothing compare to UO, having mount isn't really necessary at the moment. With the design for regional economy, you can travel to many adventure zones without the need of going to different region. Even if you do need to travel to a different region, it's not that much of a hassle right now.

17. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Even the original WoW released in 2004 was way bigger than the gameworld we have to traverse here in SOTA. In Wow it would take 2 hours to run from one end of the world to the other. Heck - it could take 15 minutes or more even using gryphons!

In SOTA I can get from one side of the world to the other in under 10 minutes generally, 15 minutes max, and that is without using coconuts or shortcuts like lunar rifts or scrolls.

I played a mage for years in WoW (and hence had constant access to portals) and I don't feel like the current system is inconvenient.

18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Yeah yeah sky is falling. We got it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.