Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Faun aggression

Discussion in 'Release 35 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Aldo, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Down in the bowels of Elysium mines, at breakable wall to third level, you have to kill a couple of Satyrs. The problem I have is that after killing them (not damaging the fauns in any way), the fauns continue to attack me to the point I cannot even get through the wall without being interrupted. Their aggression continues down the hallway if I retreat. Because of the virtue implications, I do not want to kill them. However if they continue their aggression and keep me from continuing through the mines, I have no choice. I think this is an activity that is not intended because in fact I have freed them from their captor and should receive recognition from the Oracle for that fact, but am forced to kill them.

2. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

It is intended.

Fauns do not recognize they are freed. If you speak to them elsewhere you realize that they are bonded beyond mere threat of violence.

As we have said multiple times, you will be faced with difficult choices. This is one of them.

Aldo, Raven Swiftbow and Jack Knyfe like this.
  3. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Killing something in self defense is not a difficult choice and should not have any hit to virtue. Until you code in a way to stop the faun from assaulting you, this doesn't make any sense and never has. If killing a sentient creature that is actively trying to kill you negatively affects virtue, then ALL sentient creatures that attack you that you kill should hit your virtue.

4. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

Virtue Schmirtue. If a Faun attacks me it's going to get a smackdown.

5. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Interesting. I will have to think about this. Perhaps there is more here than meets the eye. Thanks for responding, @Lum the Mad

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  6. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

If the fauns ran away once the Satyrs were dead it would make sense. Killing something that is fleeing I can respect as a hit to virtue, or something that stops attacking you fine bad to kill the defenseless. When it is aggressively trying to kill you... completely different situation.

7. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I am not deep into the story line. I imagine the Kobalds stole the mine from the Graff people. I can see why the Kobalds would try to kill me when I come in to mine. It is a little less clear what the Satyrs are doing. Perhaps they have an alliance with the Kobalds and that is why they try to kill me too. However the Fauns who are controlled by some kind of Satyr magic are compelled to protect the Satyrs. So I can understand why they would attack me too. Do I feel sorry for the Fauns? Probably yes, because I have an aversion to a scheme where someone is controlled to do something against their will. When the Satyrs are dead the Fauns continue to battle. What kind of control is this? I have stuff to do and may not have patience to figure their situation out. The fauns will have to give me a clue as to their intent or I will snuff them. Who cares what the Oracle thinks? Is the Oracle trying to control me like the Satyrs control the Fauns? I refuse to be a Faun.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  8. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

Like Cake says..."Sheep go to Heaven, Goats go to Hell".

Lord Barugon likes this.
  9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Curve ball!! Who the heck is Cake?

10. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

They're an Alternative Rock band.

Aldo likes this.
  11. r-DotPhunky

r-DotPhunky Avatar

If this is the case then we the players need a non-violent way to subdue the creature. Otherwise there isn't much choice here, now is there? Say... a sleep spell... or a fear spell - something.

Kill, or pacify. That's a choice.

Aldo likes this.
  12. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

You have no choice if you feel you absolutely must clear that level of the mines.

Or you could... not.

(Yes, I know, there should be non-combat ways of dealing with fauns, but I'm also pointing out that "YOU HAVE NO CHOICE" isn't really the case.)

Aldo and r-DotPhunky like this.
  13. r-DotPhunky

r-DotPhunky Avatar

*Le Sigh* Ok - that is true... I don't like that answer... but true. I could walk away - you are correct, sir!

Hey thank you as well... I am thankful that you see we need that non-violent method to subdue. :)

Aldo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.