Feature Request: Helmets In-Hand

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by EmberFlame, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmberFlame

EmberFlame Avatar

Feature Request: Helmet (and more?) In-Hand

NOTE: I did a cursory search to make sure I wasn't repeating a similar thread. I couldn't find any, but if I am doing so, feel free to lock/move this elsewhere. You have my apologies in advance.

Preface
    So, during one of my guild meetings, I decided that, as a General, I would show up in my armor, as opposed to my usual outfit. I did elect to take my helmet off so people could recognize me more easily. I ended up with this:

[​IMG]

There was another guildmate there showing off his gear, and he had chosen a more eclectic outfit. In particular, he came showing off his favorite cooking pot in-hand, a feat I did not think was yet possible.

[​IMG]

After seeing this, I thought to myself "You know what my outfit was missing? My helmet, except in my hand!". I mean, it makes sense. We're talking about a millennia-old tradition for those in military positions to exert their power & confidence, without coming across as threatening. Beholden knights took off their helms for their lords, emissaries would remove protective headgear upon safe arrival, etc. Plus, wasn't there a recent ball where this would have looked great?

So, in short, that's my request. That our helmets could be equipped in-hand, simply for decor & RP purposes.

A nice alternative came courtesy of Browncoat Jayson.
    In case somebody has no idea what I'm talking about yet, here are a few reference photos of what I hope to see one day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As I got thinking about this more in terms of actual development, and it occurred to me that there are a few challenges -and MANY more benefits- than are immediately apparent. I detail them below.

Design/Challenges
    There are three major elements I see that would be affected/changed in some way.

1. Adding a GUI Element. This is likely the biggest hurdle, and possibly the clincher to when/if this idea gets put into development. In a typical development cycle, you have an item database that associates objects into a given category. The most basic version of this occurs in the objects name (ie- "ObjName_HeadSlot"). Once categorized, you can then assign the objects, by category, where they need to go (that's how the game knows that Helmets/Hats can't go into a different slot on your paperdoll). Making the general assumption that Portalarium is using something similar, there's two solutions I came up with:
      1. Add an 'Alternate Item Category'. By doing this, you can create automatic 'checks' that can verify whether or not the item is supposed to be there (same as before), but can also add additional scripting -attached to the alternate category- that could temporarily modify any of the item's stat values. There are many benefits to this method! (More on this in Section 3)
      2. Create a user-inputted command or window to temporarily assign (could be a toggle) the object as an Alternate Item, allowing it to be equipped in the hand, but nullifying any beneficial stats. While simpler in some ways, user input always equates to unknown quantities in terms of troubleshooting.
    2. Adding an 'in-hand' pose to avatars. Conveniently enough, this has already been provided, by way of the cooking-pot wield. A simple adaptation of this pose could work for most items; if this particular element of Unity is crowd-sourced, you could easily have outside help for the smaller nuances of the process.
    3. Creating scripts for atypical in-hand items. With the above association via Categories and/or User Input, you can easily attach scripts/sub-routines that can check for atypical items, and make changes to them as necessary (for example, adding a temporary multiplier of 'times zero' to STR ,DEX, INT, or any other relevant stat values. KEEP WEIGHT. That could get exploited easily.)
      1. The benefit to this is that you can setup nearly any item with this, allowing the option to do more than just helmets. Flowers, a handful of logs, a skull found in a dungeon, etc. Any and all are possible.
      2. This could also be an elegant solution to switching out the "Main Hand Slot" for those that prefer to be left-handed. If successful, you can change the Main and Off-Hand slots as associated with different categories with a simple checkmark in the Options menu.

WIIFM? (What's In It For Me?)
    There's tremendous values to this idea, some of which have already been discussed. To instill and recap:

• This brings an aspect to the Role-Play & immersion of this game that -to the best of my knowledge- has never been done in another game.
    • If successful, it can be used with just about any known Object in the game, provided you're willing to create realistic poses & interactions with the player's Avatar. (Imagine carry a heavy sack like a peasant!)
    • It can create an opportunity to deal provide Main/Off-Hand alterations (see Section 3-2)
    • Your community (esp. me) would friggin' LOVE YOU!

Thanks in advance for your consideration!
    - Jakdaw

2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I like this idea. If they don't make the actual hats equipable in hand, perhaps an emote /holdhat or similar that would cause the character to remove their hat and hold it in hand, either until it is toggled again or you enter combat.

3. EmberFlame

EmberFlame Avatar

Love it! I shamelessly added it to the OP. :D

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  4. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Aye, make them weapons while they're at it, drop it in hand slot & bash enemies with helmets

Jakdaw Foxlauden likes this.
  5. EmberFlame

EmberFlame Avatar

I put a little more thought into the design this idea. Please re-read and provide input if you feel so inclined. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.