Feature Request: Social XP

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Jack Knyfe, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

If the system were implemented properly, spamming emotes wouldn't achieve anything.

Proper usage of emotes would.

I'm not a game developer.
    I'm not a sociologist.
    I'm not a psychologist.

I'm just a guy with an idea that I thought would be pretty cool, and it seems that most folks so far would rather blast it into the ground.

I'll stick with my normal threads where I ask for things to be put in game for systems that are already being planned.

Enjoy your bitter victory, community.

2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Gaelis already maxed this out.

3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Just for giggles..

The Like-Based Social Rating System

Rules
    1. A liker may award up to 1 "like" per likee each week.
    2. A liker may award up to 12 "likes" per day.
    3. A liker may award no more than 10 "like" per likee for all time.
    4. A liker may revoke any number of likes given to a likee at any time.
    5. Revoking likes does not increase the liker's daily allotment.

A special Tahru achievement is rewarded for giving 144 likes in a single week.

Ice Queen, 4EverLost and Jivalax Azon like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL and I feel bad you know because sometimes I'll have one thought on something that is presented but then when I hear all of the other thoughts on a subject I can see where my one thought was only that, one way to look at something out of a zillion. I always try to look at something coming from that. So I don't know the answer to your question of if it is a hidden system instead.

Will it make someone feel happier to be more social or not? In many games they will have the quest to go talk to so many other players or get in a party so many times to earn quest rewards or xp. I remember times when I did not like these quests, especially being new to a game. How social I am depends on my mindset at the moment. I'm connected to this game more socially because of the great community experience, but would I be if I just jumped into it at launch or would I go off by myself. I see new people even here do that and while I try to be social with them, those that want to resist being social still will. It's not against me, it's just how they are feeling at the moment.

Ok well sorry I went off to the social aspect of it all. I guess I just tied the two things together. So doing the emotes is one thing and having or needing to do them is a whole other thing and do these two things tie together. Will this system interfer with the player bases interaction with each other? even if it is unseen or a hidden system? Well perhaps someone else has an answer lol sorry I just don't know.:) and in a wall of text too sheesh;)

Ice Queen, Jivalax Azon and Tahru like this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Oh.... LIKING.

Ice Queen and Tahru like this.
  6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Licking might work too. :p

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  7. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

i imagine half of these will be steam achievements, as far as another system of leveling based on social interactions, here i thought you were talking about a net benefit to xp while in groups

your thread was misleading!

but, while i'm here, I think I'd like to add being naked in front of 100's of people.

It's a fun/quirky idea, the problem is if it adds to adv pts, or crafting pts.

that said, i imagine there is a third system at play; whether we are privy to it or not, i imagine there probably will be a third tier of levels, i just don't suspect it to be a social tab

Tahru likes this.
  8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Wow has this thread been taken off topic already.

Logain and Tahru like this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm not opposed to the concept of Social XP.. the execution on the other hand seems far too abuseable. Given player behavior there's just no way so many players (well more than enough to be noticeable) aren't going to abuse the system like there's no tomorrow. You can put in timers or whatever you like but there's just too many issues.

Alternative idea. Social skills and quests.

A quest that involves no danger shouldn't be considered adventuring but it could be called social experience.

Skills like social dancing or performances arts like say.. playing an instrument.. which we already know is planned.. could work from social XP.

Social dancing of course would require one or more partners. (I suggested a system for this one a long time ago).. While other skills can be done solo but few people could complain about people practicing in public.

Juggling, acrobatics / tumbling?

All of which outside the scope of EP1 of course.. but just imagine. Now add 2 person moves to those.. (which couldn't be done unless both have a minimum skill).

Jivalax Azon, Gaelis, Logain and 2 others like this.
  10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Well a novel idea, it just doesn't seem to have gotten much support. Social Interaction is and will be accomplished but does not need to have its own level system, nor should it have any effect on any other levels.

If you want to run around and act a fool to become the highest level Jester in the game go for it :)

Or the best Dancer, Alms Gatherer, etc. nothing stopping you.

Tahru likes this.
  11. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

I like that. Kinda reminds me of the Artisan classes from SWG.

Jivalax Azon and Tahru like this.
  12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Maybe other things like satisfied work orders, sales figures, conversions between players, and on topic cheers could all be combined to measure social interaction.

Ice Queen and Jivalax Azon like this.
  13. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Who wouldn't rather be licked than liked?

Jivalax Azon and Tahru like this.
  14. Logain

Logain Avatar

Ugh, now I'm feeling bad. I seriously didn't mean to shoot your idea down, but to raise what I was thinking would be valid concern. I'm sorry, maybe I should have tried to be a bit more positive with my criticism.

Net likes this.
  15. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Your criticism was fine. It was mostly the overpowering responses from others stating "this will never work", "I don't like this" and "zomg SPAM ALERT" that got to me, and the fact that the ones who were the biggest critics didn't even want to consider the possibility of the positive aspects of the idea. All they could see were the negative aspects.

Folks like that end up not buying cars because the first thing they'll expect is to get into an accident while simultaneously suffocating from carbon monoxide and being blown to bits from a fuel leak after driving over the remains of a lit cigarette.

Sent from my Aetheric Vibration Link using Tapatalk

Tahru likes this.
  16. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

I like the idea of social XP including titles etc. I think it is great that it has been brought up, though the original iteration does not sound good to me. (no offense to the OP, he brought up the topic which is great!) I do however, like Bowen's ideas.
    I think there are different kinds of social interaction and leveling possible. Say a warlord POT leader who leads hundreds into battle, he is social right? But probably would not be arrogant in PvP and not dancing like a fool in a basement. How does he gain social XP, and why? Perhaps by quests as Bowen suggests and why is because it gives him the ability to have larger team sizes or more chat channel options (like a broadcast to his underlings all in a group) whatever.

If the idea can be fleshed out, there is great potential here. With some real substantive reward.

Just my 2 cents.

Tahru and Jack Knyfe like this.
  17. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I'd favor XP for sitting in my SOTA hot tub with my soul mate(s).

18. Selene

Selene Avatar

I think a social type tree would be useful . As world travel becomes more difficult, it will be harder to attend social events. Through social XP maybe you could gain the ability to summon people to an event. (with a very long cooldown timer and only with their consent).
    It could be fun for RPers as well as guilds planning battles or raids.

Jack Knyfe likes this.
  19. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I would like to see this taken to the next level and give real XP for socializing. We used to this in our RP servers. Question is how to regulate it without abuse. Everything can look good on paper . Will it work is the question.

For the devs to consider this it would have to be coded by a player. Role players would come to this game in droves if this were true. Sorry to take your idea and add to it but yes I do believe social xp should somehow translate to real XP.

20. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

While I like the idea, the potential for abuse increases when you give a real, measurable reward that affects other modes of gameplay. You'll suddenly have small cadres of players who only play together for the purposes of min/maxing risk vs. reward by socializing their way to level 100, then spending their points as they so choose for adventuring skills that they have had no experience in using. I feel that social xp gains/rewards should stay within the social realm. It's fine if you disagree.

Regarding the player coded bit...it's not like I'm suggesting a completely turnkey solution that could be written up outside of the game in Unity and handed to the Devs. This system would have several integrations into existing game code. It would have to be Dev-driven and implemented if it is to exist at all. However, this is my perspective on the matter. You are welcome to prove me wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.