Features you'd like to see in Shroud of the Avatar

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by cs2501x, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That's a creative idea vjek.

I also propose the idea for online secretaries to edit our posts for us who don't have time to edit our grammar and spelling. Or care. And yes i began sentences with or and and and didn't use commas.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

*other languages -- such as speaking in the ancient tongue where your text appears runic for characters who are not fluent (or have no skill points in speaking the old tongue).

Sometimes people know enough of a language that allows them to catch a few words and discipher and translate it in their head. These people can use the runic key to decipher the meaning or memorize the runic. However other native speakers (characters with skill points in the ancient languages) can see it translated in their native tongue.

Then people can chose to communicate using the common tongue (non-runic) or speak the ancient language with other characters who are more sophistcated and have learned the language. Then signs, and manuscripts containing runic can show the runic with the translation below it.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

UO had herding.
    Bring Herding back, maybe a bit different.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzADBhHw3As

Oh yea we don't have mounts.
    Maybe we can get some dogs to round them up.

Oh yea we don't get barns yet either.
    Well maybe another time.

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

***had another idea regarding the divination/gypsy magic***

* If you use a clairvoyance spell with a crystal ball, allow other players to be able to peer into the ball and see the vision as well. Also if you are watching a mage who is also using this same spell on a crystal ball perhaps there could be a chance you could click that crystal ball and see what he is seeing (a vision within a vision type thing).

* If you use the spell to peer into a person's soul and you are using a crystal ball allow the player to directly view the feedback the wizard/gypsy is seeing about them. Maybe it lists the person's progress with the virtues in sort of a newspaper horoscope format. (Heading = Honesty, Description = progress). That way we can track our progress with a friend who is a mage rather than only paying a gypsy.

* Also with "player" cast spells or items that can block divination, allow for a high level mage or a mage who's focus is gypsy/divination spells to be able to have a percentage chance to peer through the block.

There are many stories that show a power struggle to be able to see something that is being magically protected and sometimes a powerful mage can see a cloudy image but not make everything out. I think this would be fun to add but also necessary since anybody who wanted privacy could just cast the "blocking" spell and it would render clairvoyance completely useless. So with player cast protections I believe there should be a power struggle and a chance to succeed.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

***Accessible Meta-data, Lore, and Discernible info***

I propose that important locations such as Cities, towns, certain dungeon caverns, and people have extra information that can be discerned via a spell or a lore skill.

One example can be entering a town for the first time and casting some type of divination spell, or use some kind of Lore skill to know where you might find an important person and have insight into the history of the town.

Another example is to use the "peer into the soul" spell I mentioned in another post to gather insight into an NPC to see if he/she is trustworthy, and if this person may be of special interest.

Or in a dungeon to gather historical insight or special information that will give further clues about which lever to pull or which path to take or if potential danger is lurking.

Depending upon how much skill you have in lore or divination will determine how much information you will gather. Maybe somebody not so skilled will only have bits and pieces of info, whereas the "Master Seer" may be able to dis-cipher a great deal of information that may be beneficial to him and/or his party.

I believe there is great potential for making the exploration of the game even more interesting by adding these character roles, and hidden information to the game.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

***More immersive lore/storytelling skill***

I can't seem to get this out of my mind... but it bothered me when I mentioned a lore skill without mentioning a way of gathering lore/stories.

If there is a lore skill I propose that a person must listen to the local bar tales, and visit local city libraries to unlock the ability to tell stories and lore in that region.

***Using the idea above regarding information tagged to certain sites... Let Bar/Library tales be generated by the story information of all of the location data/stories in that region. If every location has a little somthing written about it, then there will be a very long list of possible bar tales to listen to in each region.

***The Lore skill in action***
    If the player who has the lore skill listens to and unlocks stories for that region, then he should have a percent chance of retelling the story at the dungeon or important instance whe they are there. Let the skilled story teller be able to retell the story as it was told in the bar. So not only he, but the whole party can hear it. So if the person using the lore skill visited the bar in the town inside the catacombs he should be able to tell the stories about the catacombs.

***Player Run Bars***
    With this type of skill a master story teller can recall tales for the bar without using an NPC to fill this role.

***Master Sage/storyteller***
    Somebody with a high skill level and has listened to stories across the land should be able to scroll through all the stories he knows and tell specific stories instead of just a random bar tale. For example if somebody asks information about a certain dungeon, then let the skilled player scroll down to the heading of that particular dungeon and see a list of stories in that location. This also gives the player the ability to view them himself, and actually know the stories so he can better role-play a sage by having this information in his real life memory.

***Different than Divination***
    I know Lord British likes more than one way to accomplish a task in the game. I propose that Lore function as i mentioned above, whereas divination/gypsy magic only be able to gather information only about a location they are currently at. They wouldn't be story tellers, but only able to gather information magically as needed. They wouldn't have to listen to tales to unlock a region, but the spell caster probably uses more skill points and also has to use reagents so it ballances out.

Hope these ideas are helpful.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Since this game is story driven and the Dev's have talked about how we all got here.
    How about more on how the NPC's and creatures came about on this planet.

We could find out with a skill like Archeology.
    Please don't use evolution or creation (to stop the fights)

Maybe before us Avatars got here some Avatar placed people and creatures here or something.
    I don't know make something up.
    So it could be thousands of years later now and much of their history has been lost.

It could be like finding scrolls that piece together a book that tells what all happened.
    Maybe some old out of place artifacts.
    Stuff like we find today - Ariel Maps, Hugh Bones, Mechanical Parts, Pyramids/Tombs, old coins etc.
    You could even include like thousands of parts that would make up a spacecraft or something.

Maybe a museum somewhere in the game, if you take these parts there you could fill in a puzzle to build this spacecraft.

Maybe the NPC's could give some hints to where some of the parts are at.
    Of course these parts could not decay but they could be locked up in someones house or bank.
    NPC's could give clues as to parts that have been found but still missing out of the puzzle.

Here is a good place to start for ideas - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Rho1tmnvk

8. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

After watching some of the video I just posted above it then makes you wants some other features.

I would like this better as some kind of skill.
    These could be separated or some kind of tree to climb.
    These would be mostly for getting around to unlock a door or something.

And some great skills to have to get away from a PK. :)

1. Jumping - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Rho1tmnvk&t=29m12s
    With jumping it could be based more on how high or how far one could jump.

2. Rock Climbing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Rho1tmnvk&t=29m45s

3. Swinging on ropes/vines - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Rho1tmnvk&t=30m35s
    it could be indiana jones style where you could use your whip to swing on.
    Movie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v06hpUyAN9Y
    Game - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVOG7MpvhYo&t=5m48s

4. Crawling - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiCYArlpIy8

5. Rolling - front or side roll (hard to find) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClbaXrpm2aU&t=0m20s
    another - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhFH0wFBRdg

6. Pushing/Pulling - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86R2_eaWSSA&t=13m17s or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClbaXrpm2aU&t=3m57s

And I'm sure there is more but many of these would be great for solving puzzles, opening secret passages, or just to get other party members through an area.

Devoid and Seneth Somed like this.
  9. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Can we please get the Wool Owl Hat in game please??

From here https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=k_fAHK0CzN8#t=65s

cheers

cs2501x likes this.
  10. monxter

monxter Avatar

11. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

This has probably been mentioned.
    But again.

Some things to go with time....
    Besides day and night.
    Seasons:

Winter - able to have snowball fights, build snowmen, sled down a hill, ice skate?, show shoe, ice fishing, etc
    Spring - all the plants growing, colors changing, animals coming out, streams getting larger from the snow melting, etc
    Summer - Go to the beach, swim, build a sandcastle, nap in a hammock, raft, etc
    Fall - colors changing again, leaves and fruit falling, day gets shorter, night gets longer, etc

Plus with seasons you need to know when to plant and harvest your crops.
    Different types of creatures (including monsters) that come out with the climate they like best.
    Different seasonal events.

And what about a calendar?

And a clock?

Time Lord and Isaiah like this.
  12. cs2501x

cs2501x Avatar

monxteri likes this.
  13. Original

Original Avatar

A 2 or 3-tier reputation system, reputation with the quest giver, reputation with the faction that the quest giver belongs to, and reputation with the kingdom that the quest giver belongs to.
    For people who have played Eve Online, it is similar to Agent Standings, Corporation Standings and Empire Standings.

Helping a shopkeeper repeatedly means he will be grateful to you and offer you a discount on his goods when buying or selling.
    The shopkeeper is well-known in the city of New Britannia, and soon words of your generosity reach the other shopkeepers, and they too will eventually start giving you discounts.
    Once you have helped a lot of the populace, the King summons you and thanks you for helping his subjects. He then grants you a boon where you can stay in any castle lodgings under his kingdom for free. You also get a discount when purchasing land from him. He may also knight you with the title Hero of Britannia and become a honorary member of his royal family.

So something like local reputation, and global reputation.

This is more for a sandbox, where it encourages you to keep questing and help one settlement, and be rewarded for it.

monxteri, jondavis and cs2501x like this.
  14. cs2501x

cs2501x Avatar

That is a very interesting way to help build longer lasting interest game content. Maybe this will get brought up at the next dev-chat; it'd be great to hear what people have to say about this idea.

15. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I guess it's worth mentioning.
    How about a skill like something from the movie the beastmaster.
    So basically a skill to control your pets or creatures in the game.
    Birds to fly around so you can see things.
    Smaller creatures to steal things.
    Large creatures to fight for you.
    Someone could go on for a long time on other things they can do.
    Like using rhino's to bash down castle doors or something.

16. stile

stile Avatar

Im guessing taming will do a lot of those sort of things.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

With taming yea you can tell your pet to do something, what I meant here is that the player hides and then takes control of some creature so it's like you are now playing as it.

Stile likes this.
  18. stile

stile Avatar

Gotcha! If you never read the Beastmaster book, there was a lot more of this in the books then in the movie. The movie as you know was fantasy with a hint of supernatural. The book (Andre Norton, one of my favorite authors.. and I swear she could put out a book while going to the bathroom if she wanted), was sci-fi. He was trained as a planetary scout using psionic's in combination with animals.

Anyway, back on topic.. Would be a good spell. Animal empathy of some sort. Could even possibly have a tie-into taming with it. In order to cast such a spell you have to have a certain rank in taming as well for a synergy need.

Time Lord and jondavis like this.
  19. Rixel

Rixel Avatar

User intiated projects via petition. For example, perhaps a majority of pc villagers would find it beneficial to have a major project built.....perhaps a new road, bridge, or even a monument. Once such an undertaking was approved, perhaps it would require a large influx of materials to accomplish the project...either through donation or perhaps an NPC that would pay for such materials (ie....5000 stone, 2000 iron, etc). Once the materials were gathered, then the project would be built..either automatically, or perhaps it would require PCs to work the project themselves. This would require a community effort and a establish a sense of accomplishment and pride in the village....maybe other tangible benefits too.

20. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Gravestones that list how many times you have died?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.