Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Feedback: Atmosphere and Decor in Taverns (and other NPC buildings)

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by Carlin the Druid Archer, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

There are definitely some great ideas here. I'd like to see taverns have a use beyond novelty (e.g. those in UO) or a place to talk to a handful of quest NPCs (R1/R2). Buying a digital drink/eating digital food [R3 perhaps?] also isn't going to keep the place packed so it would be nice if these buildings have something that continuously pulls players in. I'd like to definitely see each barkeep (e.g. Strongbeard @ Firelotus Tavern) as a central conversation hub who has a bit more to talk about relating to each town, or even have general info where to find each citizen - perhaps coughing up more with tips. They likely hear it all as people tend to spill more as they buy more drink, with the bartender or employees as captive audience.

Beyond that things like bulletin boards, etc will help to some degree but really depends on how useful they are made (e.g. Community BB's in UO weren't very good). I'm somewhat curious to see where people congregate primarily in R3 to socialize, but suspect it won't be in taverns - unless these are expanded to bring in community cooking "tables/recipes".

2. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Good idea. Maybe the NPC's at taverns could have a "live feed" of sorts in their chats. Stories of things really going on in New Britannia. Example: "I hear the town of Kingsport is being attacked by Imps!" or "By Tor is now considered the greatest wine maker in all the land." or "A dragon has been spotted flying in the Hidden Vale!"

3. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Some means for players entering an locale to find out what events are currently in play, excellent idea.

That would definitely drum up walk-in traffic, though maybe not overall retention.

Really the only reason to laze about in a tavern for a long period would be to chat with other players, and that may be handled by other more convenient locales (such as a Guild Hall, or a meeting point close to the portal out of town).

4. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

If it rains in SOTA? i would like to see NPC's sheltering from the rain.

smack, Skalex, RelExpo and 3 others like this.
  5. Holt

Holt Avatar

Although NPC bards would be fantastic, and it is a great idea, I am hoping to see PC bards, with instruments and the ability to play music as part of their skillsets. Just thought I'd chime in. Playable musical instruments and some sort of 'theater' or stage code were two of the Kickstarter stretch goals, and Poets' Circle is very interested in seeing them realized.

6. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Playable music in LOTRO is a big thing, They even have a massive yearly event called "Weatherstock" , Where bands get together and play atop the aforementioned with thousands of people watching.

7. Holt

Holt Avatar

I'm sure we'll figure something even better out, in the long run :)

8. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Obviously it's midi sounds so RG would like it's retro feel!

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

Is that Geralt in the 'Good RPG Tavern' SS? If its one of the Witcher games, thats not fair comparing a masterpiece by CD Projekt Red to an online WIP. :D

I do agree that there need to be more atmosphere... pretty much everywhere. I'd throw in some monster trophy heads as well since they haven't been mentioned. I mean, deer antlers and all are nice, but you can tell a real adventurer's tavern by the more exotic monsters on display.

(Sorry, I love the atmosphere of the Adventurer's Guild in the Quest for Glory games and figure it'd come perfectly across to a tavern atmosphere)

Heck, even have a quest where you could lug over a monster to get it stuff and hung, and then a plaque saying 'Such and such an adventurer's Ankheg on date such and such' :D Novelties of all kinds hanging off the walls.

And sawdust. Need lots of sawdust on the floor, for when everyone drinks too much and reenacts that event in UO I heard about on the multiplayer chat.

NRaas and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.