Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zeddicus Zorander, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

One should not have to message anyone, one should do a bug report and post it and then the developers can crunch the number just like Frost did. They can parse out data just as easily.

And if the number are right and what they want they can reply either yeah or nea.

The problem with the dev team is they actually sit in places most player do not venture and talk there and not deal with the issues brought up in their own forums.

PMing is not the answer. the answer to just take a look at what is presented and reply.

BTW I have fished more than frost but am not going to spend the 2 - 3 hours to parse out data that I know is flukey.

Also posting topic in the proper places would help since this is feedback there is a place for it.

Cordelayne likes this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

What should the drop rate be for the +5 int fish?

FrostII likes this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

The same as the drop rate for Obsidian Bear/Wolf carcass's, the +5 +6 Dex/Str foods.
    See my data above....... ;)
    Ok, I'll quote myself for brevity:
    It's a nice 4hr Int food, and should have the same drop rate as the 4hr Dex/Str foods have.
    Right ??
    Or am I missing something here ?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Synergy Blaize likes this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Ok so in 15 minutes, everyone should be able to get the +5 INT fish. That’s the drop rate it should be at?

5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I think they should leave the rarity alone and either increase the yield of food you make per rare fish or increase the duration to 3-7 days for those rare foods.

Another option would be to just add in another whole group of fish and foods that are much easier to catch and could give +4 Int buffs that last for 2-4 hours. If that existed, I don't see much of an issue with leaving the rare +5 stuff the way it is.

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

so does anyone here actually know what the affect of +5 intel actually equates to??? How much stronger is a caster with 5 more intel? how much more focus? Dex = what? It is all just a number.

+5, +4 mean nothing unless you can say that +5 intel = 50% increase in whatever. I have yet so see much change at all when you are already 90+ in STr , dex or intel.

Now sadly rarity in this game has been so "not rare" for so long when something actually is "rare" players call it to extreme.

Long LONG ago I implored that they ensure items that are Rare - actually are Rare, and if determined "too rare" then they can turn it # up. I T Y S This ship has long sailed, caught in a hurricane, got blown off course, and sunk after hitting an iceberg.

How about that I have over 1000 each Ammonites, and Amolacarius that have Zero use. Oh and have yet yo catch a rare lava fish.

So can someone explain how + Int / Str / Dex actually affect a player then I could look at how affective these foods actually are and then work on how rare they should be. Too Late and too backwards now.

7. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

I feel that what they view as needing to be rare is wrong. if your talking about a mounted animal than sure. those can be rare so those who caught them can having the bragging rights. same with armor, weapons, or even some of the crafting resources to craft the really good stuff but a food buff???? first of all it's only a +5 which, as a caster myself, is meaningless. There are artifacts that give more int than that and they don't expire after a few hours. Than, with the drop rate so low, who would ever choose to create food rather than mount it. (I am sure someone out there has done it. its meant to be rhetorical) and even if they create the food, unless you sell it uber cheap (which defeats the point of the rarity) who would even buy it. We are talking about something that expires after a few hours so its something that I would want to apply over and over and over and if your charging an arm and a leg for one meal than no thank you that's assuming there is enough inventory on the marketplace in the first place to meet the demand which since they are rare and difficult as hell to catch there probably won't be. Its really not a well thought out plan in my humble opinion. I have heard them say that int effects a lot etc etc. I call BS. we are only talking about a +5 which is nothing. if it was something around +50 or what not than maybe they may have a point but the hole who would buy such a thing if its only going to expire after a few hours still stands. pointless...

8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Personally I'm getting really tired of the disparity in getting anything int-related. Its already bad enough that there are dozens of active/passive skills that affect Str/Dex whereas int gets a total of 0 passives and 1 active skill to buff it. New back items announced - yeah? Except once again, nothing adds int. Guess I'll be stuck in this ugly shroud forever. In order to be even remotely competitive damage-wise mages have to wear at least 3 "best in slot" artifacts to begin with (so much for that 'best items will be player crafted' thing) , and the only food we get that is comparable is either from killing the Phoenix or catching fish so rare that I've yet to catch more than like 2 since the implementation of fishing? And why in the world would I eat it?

I really thought fishing would finally bring the food situation into balance, but the recipes show a complete lack of insight into what players actually want/use. The regular fish recipes are a joke, and the rare fish recipes are 'better' (although, pairing melee weapon skills with int seems a bit.....unintuitive, but nevermind), however, they are rare to the point of pointless. Aside from the focus regen bonus, food doesn't make enough of a difference. Consider how much more money you'd earn fighting by having that food on vs. off, and the cost of the food, and you have your answer.

Fishing had the potential to be a real cool system. And we all had fun doing it. And now we all have thousands of pointless fish and no need to fish anymore.

9. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

the only point in fishing for me atm is to catch the rares which may take me a while but once I do and have them mounted there will be no reason for me to return to fishing. At some point though if I am not catching them I may break down and watch the marketplace for them but this will only get one person a sale and that's it cause I only need one to mount. they really need to revisit this hole concept. :)

majoria70 and FrostII like this.
  10. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

you know the more I think on this having food as a "rare" commodity is really a bad idea. We are talking about something where the effects go away after a few hours which means I have to eat more. I have purposefully NOT purchased phoenix bites even though I have seen them on the market and actually wanted the effects but there is only so much I am willing to pay for something that goes away after a few hours and needs a new one to apply it... Ya. definitely a bad idea. other than that the direction they are going with fishing is pretty cool :) You know. just thought of something. this could be something ment only for the uber rich and not for us lowly pee ons :)

11. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Fishing would have benefited from another release worth of polish

There is a ton that is missing, not functioning or could have been improved for a more complete system

Add catchable bait fish to freshwater / lava to even out the water types and add more types of lava fish
    Make sure the baits are actually working
    Make sure the water types are correct
    Recipes and uses for common fish - new potions, poisons from squid, fish paste for cooking, minced fish for fertilizer etc
    Realistic food stats for all trophy fish + uses in professions tailoring, carpentry etc
    Components from Super Rare fish - fish scales, fish bone, shark tooth etc

Non random means of catching certain fish - seasons, spawns, time of day etc

Those pools of fish you see in Kingsport etc could randomly spawn while you are fishing to make you rush over or hunt for pools for the higher chance of catching the specific fish in the pool

Trolling boats similar to the moving mine cart

Time stamps on fish so you can hold fishing events shorter than 1 hour

Needless to say there is a lot that can be improved and some that needs to be improved.

Fishing should be a complete viable profession

FrostII, Elrond, Beli and 1 other person like this.
  12. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yeah, I think the system would have been a lot better if it wasn't so RNG dependent. I untrained all of the fishing tree from level 125 back down to 100 because honestly, I could barely notice the difference.

The RNG on top of RNG, extended tests with different bait types showing no difference whatsoever, and the "success chance" being heavily RNG influenced as well, compounds the situation to the point where there's very little the player can do to become a "skilled" fishermen.

Bait/rod choices have minimal quantifiable effect even on tests of 1000+ uses.

Skill/xp investment has minimal effect (affects 'max success' only, apparently). And its not evident most of the time, even if you go into a completely new scene, fresh spot, havent fished there ever before, you put the rod in the water and it may be 30% and it may be 60% and who knows? It just feels very arbitrary. Which leads to being boring and unrewarding. And frustrating, if you've got 50 million experience invested in fishing and you're standing next to someone with 1/50th of that investment and they're catching better stuff. Because the system is all about luck. I understand a BIT of unpredictability, but if you're trying for realism here, skilled fishermen know what bait/tackle to use, are able to identify spots where fish might be hiding, and have 'technique' when casting, reeling, etc. that make them more successful. No amount of "skill" either from an xp investment standpoint or anything the player is doing/clicking make a bit of difference. This leads to ridiculous superstitions like if you press the fishing button with the keyboard instead of the mouse you get better chances, or, you catch more things in the rain or sun or w/e, no amount of testing can give any quantifiable data because the RNG swings so far and wide that its a giant crap shoot.

In a game where choices are meant to matter, none of your 'choices' while fishing really matter, investment in fishing doesn't really matter, its just one giant slot machine that spits out crap 99.9% of the time. While it was fun at first, the disillusionment sets in after you have boxes of pointless, useless fish that are not worth cooking. I mean, make a recipe 'seafood platter' that uses 100 fish or something, and actually has int/regen comparable to the str/dex 'surprise' foods, and I'd pick up the fishing rod again. It just seems all this time and effort went into this system, as well as delaying other systems/fixes, and other than a bit of novelty its now....pointless.

13. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

See this post: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/sota-fishing-2019.149302/#post-1195114

I've caught sharks IRL, several times. I've also caught well over 2000 fish in Sota and I don't have all of the trophies. Entire tree is GMed and I've used every bait type.

14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

And, @Hemswal The Descended , from the thread that you listed above ^^^^ , I bring you this post:
    I can deduce from the absense of a reply, that he has not seen this.

But it's high time he (or somebody there) did.

I've spent enough hrs fishing to get my tree to this:

[​IMG]

Having fished for hrs in Salt Water, with every "buff" available, for the hours it took to get my saltwater fishing to 110, I have YET to catch my first shark....

This s*it is way beyond ridiculous..........

Wake the f*ck up, Port

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  15. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I support the players saying its WAY to rare, I got my fishing all 100-120, did not get a single good lavafish or a single rare 5int/ weapon fish. and I even did some extra fishing once those skills were there.

Synergy Blaize and FrostII like this.
  16. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

@FrostII One of the devs told me that they read the post. I assume that includes Mr @Bzus

However, I don't think Mr @Bzus is obligated to reply to the post, or any posts for that matter. It would be nice if he did though! :)

17. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

This is a systemic problem with fishing and everything else.
    From a top level standpoint, showing that today, some player somewhere caught a shark or got a nice drop, so its working, is not a reflection of how it actually feels to play the game, where its disappointment all the time for almost all players.

This is a poor designed system relying on a loot slot machine. "Luck and nothing else" is not a strong foundation. Investment in skills or special baits makes no noticeable difference.

Consider the last fishing event where you have over 100 people fishing for 45 mins non-stop and you saw what, 2-3 rares? Then translate that to what one player is likely to get. But its not just fishing, its everything. The entire game is built on this principle of "disappointing drops except for in very rare cases that never seem to apply to you." That stops being fun .

I've personally ramped my playtime WAY down - its become tedious to spend time playing and getting nothing out of it whether I'm fishing or fighting. I simply can't stomach spending hours upon hours getting "nothing" - especially once you reach the point where experience gain is no longer relevant. Incremental gains, rather than blind luck, is a better long term retention plan. Most people have no problem spending time - days, weeks - to get something, as long as that something is on the horizon or achievable by means other than a random lottery.

18. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

In a similar vein, I halted progression to agriculture 120 since all indications are that there will be no additional yield with fertilizer. I expect fertilizer to be a random curiosity that will fizzle out if there is no tangible benefit to using it.

19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Nailed it, now to add;
    "Rewards" as decreasing in Value Exponentially, Rares are just being "reskinned" and resold, I got a crafted Summoning Whislte as Loot - becauise it was a player made item left on a vendor to decay (yeah Great Loot Systems)

Sorry but moving forward seems more and more a joke with all that is left unfinished and / or broken.

Taming - ITW for over a year
    Fishing - Started with a flurry and great ideas left 1/2 donkied
    Crafting - so antiquated eventhow the idea is only a few years old - never completed never implemented like advertised
    Soft Cap = Complete utter Failure
    Balance - coming from both sided Pve and PvP which cannot be accomplished
    An old stretch goal of Horses - they did not even start with what was in the Kitty from the Old Ridable Stretch they started over and still 250K really LMAO
    Flexible Placement
    Walls "Snaping together"
    Any other MAJOR things I am missing.

But sure it is ok for Thorn stuff to just be recolored and sold again this year? Yet the Bunny Head cannot get a little love, (change the wood color, the plaque, or rehue it???)

To those who keep trying is the light at the end getting brighter, dimmer, or just moving further away?

Frosts quote reaching any ones ears? ((((( BTW a reply on a live stream is N O T the answer )))))

20. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

If they would add one fishing spot on QA, that had a fixed fishing chance, every time, we could actually then test this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.