Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Feeling less and less like multiplayer.

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Arkah EMPstrike, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Or maybe I jsut dont have the right people on my friends list, i dunno.

[​IMG]

at least 16 people i know, friends list says they are online but 12 or 13 of them are in party only, so i cant even just run around and visit people. Cant show up at their house and say whats up or happen upon them in the wild, and im wondering if this is depressing anyone else who likes to play in multiplayer to see other people around?

Acred, Gaelis, Retro and 12 others like this.
  2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

This is intended, as it is a single player game that you can play online with your friends. :)

3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Looks right to me. It's a challenge. Perhaps when more players come online it will improve. SotA has invented the first Single Player game in a Multi Player world.

4. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Me and buddies started all playing in online multiplayer instead of regular friends only for this exact reason. Then we dont always need to be partied.

Acred, Elwyn and Black Tortoise like this.
  5. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

I play 99% of time multiplayer because I also love to meet my friends across the map. But I know people who plays almost only at friends mode and that is mostly because they want to gather and they want to gather all materials ( cannot blame those if that is made possible).

Ok, you catch me, lol. But also I always try to help my friends and also friends who plays friends mode if They call me and asks help and I have time (even if I don't have time like it was at that day when you took those screenshots ;)).

I agree with you Arkah, I would also like to play just multiplayer game with all gamers in same mode without possibility to use other modes.

And you know you are always welcome to say hi and play your wonderful music where ever I may roam! :)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    Acred, Dariog, Bom and 2 others like this.
  6. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I've played multiplayer only with the exception of early on in R32 when I went SPO to get an iron blade for the one Soltown quest. I see folk in town and on the overland map. I occasionally see others in the scenes I am in, but that is more the exception than the rule.

Acred, Bom, Luca Xante and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

to be honest I would play more multiplayer if I was able. I just lag and crash in it. I suspect others might be having this problem also. We are persistent but not launched yet and they are doing much improvements on the polish. I am forced to wait for it though as single player is much more playable right now.

Acred, Dane Sardock and nonaware like this.
  8. Selene

Selene Avatar

I have a lot of trouble in the big cities in multiplayer. I didn't have that problem 6 months ago, but now, if I am in a place like Central Brittany for any length of time, I know I'll crash.

Acred, Gaelis, nonaware and 4 others like this.
  9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

same :(

Acred likes this.
  10. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Please add me to your list! I'm always looking for more friends and love random drive by wavings.

96% of the time I'm in multi

Acred, Elwyn, Snazz and 3 others like this.
  11. mrsanders

mrsanders Avatar

Not really. Elite Dangerous has a similiar model (minus the offline part).

Mitara and Tahru like this.
  12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It is as it was inteded to be. As Richard Garriott said to Warren Spector during the Kickstarter campaign: Shroud of the Avatar is "a story-driven basically soloplayer game with the option to play online".

13. Aord

Aord Avatar

What SOTA lacks to feel like truly multiplayer experience (well, maybe I am just old-fashioned):

1) no worldwide chat channels (SOTA does have radio, eh?)
    2) no guild recruitment system (at least I am unaware of one)

Mitara likes this.
  14. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

The only way they would get more people in multiplayer is if harvesting nodes can be harvested once by everyone (as in they don't disappear after one use by another player). That's the main reason I don't do multiplayer. The secondary reason is other players on screen sometimes causes lag. Multiplayer just isn't worth it when you've got to share map resources with everyone else and get huge frame drops in Ardoris whenever there's a few players there. World or region chat could also help in bringing players together.

As for me, I only really play with guild members. We're in a 3rd party chat socializing whenever we play and helping each other out when needed. For example, we were farming the dragon out in Southern Grunvald Barrens in a group of 4 just the other night. We all still mostly play in friends only mode though, but I don't really feel alone in the game because I'm in an active guild. If they could iron out the lag, I think it would be nice if town areas put you in multiplayer automatically.

Acred, Gaelis, Sir Cabirus and 5 others like this.
  15. r-DotPhunky

r-DotPhunky Avatar

It's been said by others and I'm in the same boat. I use single player online to harvest because I can triple/quadruple the rate of harvest on things like trees and cotton as well as increase the quotient of wolves/undead etc I fight as there is no competition.

In my opinion, you should either be single player or multi player. This whole single player online thing is the cause of much of the imbalance. How do you balance resources and a player driven economy when 90% of the player base bypasses that completely by doing all their harvesting in single player?

Acred, Gaelis, Bom and 1 other person like this.
  16. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I would spend more time in multi-player if:
    1. The game didn't become so unreliable and laggy in large scenes in multi-player
    2. I didn't have to log out and in again to party up with/zone to guildies
    As it is I default to friends mode unless there's something specific happening that requires multi.

Acred and kaeshiva like this.
  17. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

So you are questioning the whole premise and idea of the game. Richard Garriott wanted to create a Selective Multiplayer Game in which we can switch between game modes.
    RG could have announced a MMORPG but he didn't. He announced a Selective Multiplayer Game. And this includes that gameplay works differently than in a MMORPG.

Acred and Elwyn like this.
  18. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I don't really mind sharing nodes, but kill-stealers piss me off.

19. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I think the ultima spiritual successor thing brought a lot of people to sota hoping to find an improved UO. I seriously doubt they would have got as much backing without setting that expectation. I'm sure their marketing team knew that which is why they coined it the spiritual successor. The beauty of it for them is that when they don't deliver on people assuming it would be similar to UO it's not like they made false promises. The term is quite ambiguous purposely in my opinion. Throw in selective multi player another way to bring in Mmo players without offering an Mmo. Be interesting to see if sota makes it past ep1.

Bom likes this.
  20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The same is true for the single player Ultima series. According to the comments on the Kickstarter website there were equally as much fans of the single player Ultimas who backed the game because they thought that they would get a new single player RPG similar to Ultima 7. Without them the Kickstarter campaign probably would have failed, too.

I think it is extremely hard balancing this. Both groups probably won't get what they expected...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.