1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Final Wipe and Lot Selection

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Not necessarily. Ill be village lot level during lot selection, and I've already scoped out my spot. There is a very high chance it will be available. Why? Because I chose it for scenic beauty, and its far from these "ideal" nexuses for vendor selling to foot traffic.

So not everyone is rushing to the best spot for their vendor. I am rushing to where I think the best spot for my character's personality is. Multiple biomes and house deed styles dictate these sort of things, for me.

My character is a mountain man that lives away from big cities, and away from normal Brittanians (Novians?). Still my character needs to live near people to survive, so the edge of town suits me best.

Im confident public vendors and what minor search traffic I get will keep money in my pockets. Id rather have a pretty and fun time at the game on my terms over picking a spot that has too much lag, isnt pretty, and simply serves to increase foot traffic to my vendor. This isnt altruistic either, Ill be ticked if I dont get my spot ;-). I just have different values when it comes to what an ideal location is.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  2. Logain

Logain Avatar

My advice would be the PRT Oasis (I think it's a PRT and not a POT, right?). Kudos to the people that can figure out why that's my advice ;)

3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I salute you for sharing the same reason as I. If Richard Garriott and making the game with his stories, I am all in.

4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Oasis is a POT. You chose it because it is near Hilt where the super-forge is located.

Logain, Mata and Miracle Dragon like this.
  5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

If the towns were built like that, the town center would no longer be a desirable location. Who wants to walk around a castle lot just to get from a to b?

I have a tongue-in-cheek solution to keep those pesky nobles in their place! If they use their castle, keep, city and town lot deeds to claim all the available row lots, then the devs could break up a number of the unclaimed castle, keep, city and town lots and turn them into row lots for "the rabble". :D

6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Hahah yea, not a bad idea. A town would have a lot more row-dwelling peasants in it than manors an castles, for sure.

7. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

Hello are you a friend of Leroy Jenkins too?

Would you like to chair tonight's meeting or would you prefer to be our guest speaker?

8. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, I'd generally agree since it prevents good traffic flow due to its size. I'd imagine most castle lots will be places of grandeur, opulence, and demonstrations of material wealth, and to perhaps host events, parties, etc, but not necessarily be a place of commerce. Castles and Keeps might be on the edges of most towns. If there were to be any in a prime central location, they would be NPC owned and be the theme / central character of that town. The castle owners and the like will likely have other lots and those will be in prime commerce locations to do their business.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  9. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

Nope - you can't do that either. If you don't log in on a regular basis after you choose your lot, you loose the lot you selected and your lot deed goes back into your bank. Then when the game is "launched" you no longer have the lot you selected during the Lot Selection event. I see this as the biggest issue with the players who are being told repeatedly in this post to "just don't play if you want to wait until the game is complete for Ep 1." You have no choice but to continue to log in (rather you play or not) to protect your selected Lot location.

For those who play every day currently and will continue to play every day - it's not an issue (I am in that group). But there are hundreds (maybe more) supporters who have Pledge Lots to choose and then have to 'tend to those lots' by logging in on a regular basis to a game they have no intentions of playing until Launch. To them that is a legitimate complaint and everyone should be able to understand that.

I think it's fair to say there are many sides to this issue and that they all have merit. Trying to dismiss many of these posts as not valid is not a healthy Community response. But unfortunately, that seems to be the way of most discussions posted across the forum as of late. :( I will say that's the most disappointing thing for me.....how hateful and argumentative and toxic our Community has become in the forums. I really want to stay up with what's going on via the forum and contribute - but it turns my stomach to read the majority of what is posted lately - so yes, I know my choice is not to read the posts. I will say that before someone gives me that sage advice. And my response will be 'or maybe we should not be allowed to post these ugly comments to one another'. Or better still "you get 2 posts in a thread and no more" where people don't keep beating a dead horse just to try to convince the world that their opinion is correct.

But back on track of this post.....The decision is made and we all will have to live with it whether we like it or not. And arguing with one another about who is right and who is wrong is not productive for anyone. If you disagree with the decision made, then certainly say so. But then let it go and stop all this back and forth. Same with if you agree. State that and let that be it.

It's the forums that will cause me to leave the game before anything else that is or is not in the game.

10. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

*Stamps foot*

I'm Post #678.

*nods*

11. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

For people with rent free lot deeds, I don't think it is as big of a problem. Those without rent free deeds, aye they'd have to log in more frequently.

From what we know from the housing faqs:

[​IMG]

1. Ancestor - 4 months
    2. Citizen - 5 months
    3. Edelman - 6 months
    4. Knight - 7 months
    5. Knight Marshal - 8 months
    6. Lord - 9 months
    7. Lord Marshal - 10 months
    8. Baron - 11 months
    9. Duke - 12 months
    10. Lord of the Manor - 13 months

Nhili Dragon, amaasing, Spoon and 3 others like this.
  12. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Since the beginning, my greatest fear about "the decision" was that it would create a gulf in the community so large as to be unfix-able. It seems like this is already happening. :(

amaasing, Spoon and Ice Queen like this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Ice Queen was kind enough to post the actual time you would need to log into the game to retain your housing. The minimum for all pledges is 4 months.

Now that you know you have a minimum of 1/4 of a year to periodically log in, do you feel like maybe your post is a bit of an over reaction? I'm not sure what the taxed lot requirement is, it may only be a month. So I suppose that is an area of contention for those that wish to make it so. My point though is that it's important to understand the facts about any situation first, and if we find that we don't know the facts and are later educated we should probably adjust our opinion. At least, that's what I try to do.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  14. Drocis the Devious

I find that this happens more when people rehash the same issues, sit in their bunkers and refuse to give ground on decisions that were made long ago. I mean, that's a decision that happened a few months after the kickstarter and hasn't waffled at all. So what good does it do to continuously bring it up?

Much like the idea that we will have 100% consensual pvp and will not have full looting, it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep bring up requests for non-consensual pvp and full looting. In fact, those types of posts are often moderated fairly heavily for that precise reason, that's not the game they're making. So I just have to question why this keeps being brought up if it only divides the community? What's the motivation behind doing that?

15. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

a 'gulf' as you put it, if it exists, is one-sided. and the pickets are not fully manned even on that side. due to the devs wanting this to be speculation, they aren't giving terribly much information, and until the actual land rush starts, everything is only an abstract. the problem with abstracts, everyone's perception of them is different. that is the crux of the issue, nobody can agree on that the issue really is because nobody can see through the fog, as designed by the devs.

for anyone who is truly against the land rush - do not participate. that is the only way for the devs to actually know if it was a good decision or not. all the complaints that will arise out of it, simply mean they did what they did, well.

16. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I agree. Much like the fact that the community did not have all the information until the amount of NPC lots was announced only recently, which is why this issue has become so contentious all of a sudden. Why do you keep rehashing the same idea (as in, "the developers announced this so long ago, get over it") while ignoring that simple fact?

Ice Queen likes this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

Bubonic, you've made many posts specifically on that subject and the developers have responded several times on this subject and related subjects.

- They've said that there will be enough lots for all the deeds at launch.
    - They've said they will try to make as many NPC towns as possible by essentially adding NPC's to Player Run Towns.

These are presumably things that you support happening, no? Yet you're not mentioning those things. You're only saying that the developers are making decisive decisions that fracture the community. Now I see two things wrong with this. 1. It's a very negative stance that doesn't tell the whole story that would allow people to make an informed decision about how they feel about the state of the game. 2. It's a stance that assumes the entire community either agrees with you or that because some in the community do not agree with you, that somehow means the entire community is "divided" on this issue.

I don't find that either of those two things is helpful to the development of this game. I think 1. You should speak only for yourself and not the "community". 2. You should include all of the facts about what you're talking about. 3. If your issue is something that was decided a long time ago and is obviously not going to change, it seems counter productive to continuously bring it up - especially when you're only bringing it up devoid of all the facts and speaking as if you somehow represent a large portion of the community.

18. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I'm still pushing for public stockades.

19. Selene

Selene Avatar

Unfortunately, the situation is such that the phrase "it is what it is" applies. No matter how the Devs decided to do lot selection, some people would be disappointed that they did not get the spots they want. There is a Keep lot in Ardoris situated by the zone-in entrance. I am sure almost every Duke has eyed it and wished they could have it, but only one person will. The devs have done the best they can based on the promises made to the backers. More money = earlier placement.

I'm sure as lot selection goes along, extra PRTs will be added to adjust to the demand. To be honest, part of the reason I purchased a POT was because the PRTs were so poorly developed and I knew that the majority of players would end up living in them. Since they are adding a crafting area and some NPCs to the PRTs, there is less of an advantage to live in POTs (and depending on the location, even some NPC towns). Don't get me wrong, I am glad they made these changes to make PRTs more useful... but I might not have purchased one if I had known about these changes. I think the smart move given the current situation, is to band with friends and take over one of the PRTs. The scenes are smaller (so you don't get the vast open spaces of POT templates currently), and working together, a guild or group of friends could make them as warm and inviting as any POT, without the pricetag or the possibility of being kicked out by the town owner.

Just a thought.

Tensions are high about this issue and there will be some disappointments, to be sure... but this is just one hiccup on the long road of a game I hope we can all enjoy together.

20. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Agreed. We can debate and argue until blue in the face, but until we actually see it placed and in effect, we can't really see how it's going to pan out. The land rush will be hectic, probably problematic, and will still ruffle feathers due to the sheer fact of the scheduling, availability, and whatnot. Any attempt after the fact to go back and fiddle with the schedule will lead to more drama, imo, than moving forward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.