1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Final Wipe and Lot Selection

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Maybe I've missed it, if I have I apologize, but I don't see the multiple character slots or the world is a stage in the OP for Pre-Wipe or Post-Wipe.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  2. mass

mass Avatar

Does anyone know how control points will work post-wipe? Right now I can pretty easily get a low level character through a control point, but I assume that the point of them is to prevent easy travel between regions (so I assume they will be more challenging post-wipe). I just wonder, because if I participate in the land rush, will I be able to explore the map readily enough to find an empty lot?

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  3. bwtdozer

bwtdozer Avatar

4. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Thanks! I did miss it in there then. :)

5. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

What kind of lot you have with your pledge?

You know that with the staged lot selection, unless you have a top tier pledge AND royal founder era, you will likely see your turn at claiming a lot only after days (if not weeks) after the wipe, right?

mass likes this.
  6. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Chances are pretty high that all PvP towns will be filled up completely once Lords are done, and all the rest will be scrambling over mixed town lots or giving up and making friends with POT owners. But it's possible new cities will be ready to 'open up' to provide more lots if it comes to that. So you should be fine.

mass likes this.
  7. mass

mass Avatar

I'm still on the fence, but considering upgrading to an ancestor (have Royal Founder status). I realize that it would be weeks before my turn, but I suppose my concern is that I camp out on one side of the map waiting for my turn, only have it fill up in that town by the time my turn comes, and then have to trek to another region to my second choice (and third, fourth, ect.). It may still be necessary to move across the map relatively quickly.

I just can't imagine the control points stay the way they are now, as they're not much of an impediment. I get that there will be lots available 'somewhere', but obviously I'd prefer to explore my preferred areas if possible.

8. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Well we have teleport scrolls in the game now. if you have friends near the other locations you're interested in, you could use the weeks you have to wait, to save up a bunch of scrolls which will speed up your traveling from location to location during the rush. ;D

9. mass

mass Avatar

Not a bad idea, but pretty unnecessary if control points stay the same. Good backup plan.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

So far I haven't heard anything being different from what is there now, but...

If someone stirs up the monsters in the scene by standing on the control point and grinding the monsters that appear, there will be a good chance of MPK happening with some really nasty versions of the skeletons. It has only happened to me once in Eastreach Gap, but there was a Skeleton Footman with over 1000HP (not "Large" or "Hardened" or "Elite", just a regular footman!) and a Lich Mage wandering around. As long as the doors get opened somehow, you should at least be able to get through as a ghost.

It can certainly get interesting with just the mechanics that are there now.

4EverLost, mass and Miracle Dragon like this.
  11. mass

mass Avatar

Could be; maybe it's been so easy with there hardly ever being anyone else in the scene. I've seen those mobs, but they've been pretty easy to skirt.

12. uziraff

uziraff Avatar

Were you the one that ran through and shouted about the skeletons having over 1000 hp while we were clearing it with our guild?

Either way we had a good laugh in voice comms at the comment.

13. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

A secure market for real money transactions is planned? It would be a great feature for those who want to sell art or add ons in the game.

14. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

This is a very good point. I am all for regional economies and the control points are a means to that end. Depending on how serious they are in implementing them we shall have to wait and see, but in there present state they just a speed bump to anyone. In my views, make them 5* bigger || harder and if you die going through them then it puts you back to the beginning and quite possibly not the chance to redo for a duration. A group should be capable of going through them, parties can form to get travellers through them maybe. To circumvent them by means of the catacombs should be possible, making the journey easier but more time consuming for the solo player. I think they should be turned off for the land rush and once all players are housed, turn them on.

15. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

@DarkStarr

If possible, probably a good idea to add this in pre-wipe. It's one of those things that you need to have access to if you don't have a house.

4EverLost and Miracle Dragon like this.
  16. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

And every three steps a random-encounter which will kill you for sure in 5 out of 10. And random-lightnings which hit you for Random(10000). And every month 100 players will win in a raffle an automatic set-back to start-stats. And and and .... the best way to keep a small community and don't even ever think to grow by new members. Go on - I hand out the popcorn. :cool:

HairballHacker and Cordelayne like this.
  17. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Imo you either make control points more of a challenge or get rid of the illusional premise of regional economies as in their present form they are nothing more than a speed bump for new players let alone advanced. The initial idea was i believe to make these pvp areas, controlled by most likely the strongest faction/guild, which would have instigated a need for conflict. It seems that pvp isn't going to be a defining factor of the game and at the moment it seems they are just used as a time constraint which can be nullified by even a starting player, so whats the point in them in their present form? A fix would be to maybe not allow stealth or fast speed through them, which is a constraint i wouldn't be happy with as if you want to do something you should be able to. But maybe offer a carrot, a need to engage the mobs in there, maybe when reaching the end if you have killed a certain percentage or looted a number of specific rare'ish drops you could be rewarded with a specific regional item/produce only obtainable within that control point or a certain amount of resources, this would encourage the need to treat them with respect, if not for fear then for their reward.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    stratigos and Beaumaris like this.
  18. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

Ok - some good points. Nevertheless the idea of regionality died with ppl having more then one lot and are able to recall. Making the control-points stronger results only in bullying the ppl with no or small pledges. Regionality could only be obtained by using the whole area not only the checkpoints (e.g. as long as you don't have a faction-standing which can be obtained by doing tasks/kills/treasures/whatsoever you get attacked by certain mobs in the whole area so you can't just hop in and out at your leisure). After a certain time/success/points/rewards/whatsoever you get lesser and lesser resistance till you are able to move freely in this area. This would affect all ppl and improve the trade-ability of ppl who look at their standings. But to implement this mechanic now ... it would certainly take more then 4 months ...

I see the checkpoints as they are now as small event. Get in - withstand as long as you can and move out in one part. Maybe get some treasure for the period of time you held the spot or make it possible for friends to move through without fights ... but it will not in any case affect the economy of the countries in front and behind the checkpoint.

19. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I believe the ability to recall to more than one property is now out, which is great. However now they intend to implement a new idea, teleportation to any of your friends, which is imo worse as this destroys any chance of regional stuff and makes the world a lot smaller. I imagine their reasoning for this is to encourage participation in being social and having lots friends. All good but destroying a big part of what the world is meant to be, i think there are likely better methods.
    I do like your idea about faction standing. As you say building up standing within a region would allow you less resistance travelling through the control point and this would encourage lots differing gameplay and a questing system with a long term purpose. Also better standings within a region could also help with the gold you get back with sales to npc's in that region etc. The mobs would have to be a little different in there maybe, but all perfectly doable and believable. A control point is obviously an area between two differing regions, maybe by getting full standings with one region it is half as difficult, with both its a free walk. I imagine a large number of people would be interested in raising standings to do this, especially traders but it would benefit all who do. Something to think about certainly.

Hazard and Miracle Dragon like this.
  20. mass

mass Avatar

You guys bring up a lot of important points about the regional economy. This is an ambitious and challenging game design decision. It is a very fragile thing, and in order for it to be maintained it will have to be a top priority in all other game design decisions. This means control points have to be unforgiving, fast travel must be extremely limited, and any other design decision that effects regional economy, will probably have to favor regional economy, as any ability to circumvent regionality will quickly bring economies into equilibrium. Certainly, the economies should interact to some degree, but the rate of that interaction must be strongly regulated. There will be lots of features that cannot coexist with this design choice. It will be interesting to see if it can be maintained and if it is worth the sacrifices necessary to maintain it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.