Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

First day playing not a rant just saying.

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by Zerk2012, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zerk2012

Zerk2012 Avatar

1. The falling leaves from the trees, these are black and come from nowhere and end up nowhere falling into the ground they should at least be brown or green and land on the ground.
    2. Caster player, 100% not even playable starting out this is only a rich player toon, 0 regs and no way to harvest them to even have enough to play the game. The cost is what 20 gold per reg if you buy them? I liked the demo I seen from a devey must be in GOD mode and not need any resources to cast! or has unlimited supply! This is why UO put in LRC suites and most games don't require them!
    3. Melee combat for NPC / monsters you can take 0 damage in this buy simply target/ run past/ hit then/ run back / hit rinse and repeat.
    4. Dark/ this is to dark do you really wish for everybody to just not play then!
    5. The map really bad not a clue what they were thinking here even the maps you get don't help so you will need a extra monitor to have a true world map up when one is posted. Or you can spend you game time memorizing it!
    6. Unity game engine really no reason to say anything about this you see stuff in the air blowing that's not even connected to the ground and nothing else in the scene is moving. Cheap game engine (it's free if you wish to use it)
    7. NPC interface really this is bad or should be just removed the way it is now.
    8. Resources noobs, spawn the exact same place on a 9/10 min timer.
    9. Crafting system, to much like RIFT no clear pattern just you figure it out if you care to try.
    10. Did I say anything about the map and NPC interface?
    11. Bottom line as the game is now I'm glad I just spent the min to play, and I see no future in it.
    12. This is just my opinion as of now it could change but this is looking like a money grab and stop to me.

2. Zerk2012

Zerk2012 Avatar

Can't edit my post but I'm glad I just paid enough to play instead of paying for a citizen pledge like I started to!

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes Zerk2012 it is very undone and much is barebones at this point, you may want to check back again when more progress is done. A lot of us have been here for a while so we know a lot of whys and also have seen the progression of the game. If you are able to read some threads perhaps more will make sense to you and we are happy to help also. On the front page are videos from the Devs that explain much, but if you would rather wait and see no worries and best of best to you.:)

Sir Cabirus and Sunswords like this.
  4. Town-Portal

Town-Portal Avatar

2: Right now magic cost no reagents? And magic has always been the most expensive combat skill in UO. But again, you can spam all spells in this release, no reagent cost.
    3: Well... that might be, havent tested it, but it will get harder, don't worry.
    4: It is not dark at all. Also, you can carry Torches, and use Light magic.
    5: The ingame maps you can buy works fine? Also, whats so bad with memorizing things!
    6: Allrighty...
    7: Agree!
    8: Yeah that sucks, i wish they could make it work like good old Ultima Online.
    9: Crafting can use some work, indeed. To choppy at the moment, but i am sure that will change.
    11: Enjoy whatever game you decide to play.

5. Zerk2012

Zerk2012 Avatar

When you learn the casting skill It says you need the regs to cast so this is broken. So I went with the mele since I cant afford the reggies and back to UO you need 0 to play a caster with a 10K LRC suite.
    For the chick that posted Mira 70 or what everver that's a good sign since it was supposed to be already released ETA on a playable game NEVER!

6. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Under the current system, reagents are optional. However having them available reduces the focus cost for the spell.

The devs are still in the process of implementing the system, and have yet to decide whether to make the reagent usage mandatory or not.

That might explain the inconsistency you are seeing. :)

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  7. Ronny

Ronny Avatar

I'm going to step in here and just mention something about #6. I won't agree or disagree with anything the OP said. I just want to make one thing very clear, by calling foul on #6. Even if SotA felt "cheap", which IMO it does not, it would have nothing to do with Unity.

To the OP: You know absolutely nothing about game development if you think Unity is a "cheap" engine, or the cause of anything specific. The only thing "cheap" about Unity is its entry price for the free version. Even that isn't really all that cheap, since asset store plugins (or custom extensions) are almost a necessity to make the engine worthwhile.

This is one of the least Unity-like games made with Unity. I can see more "Unity" in Shadowrun Returns then I can with this game. (Note: You most likely wouldn't be able to tell SR used Unity unless you already knew.)

Engines are what you make them. Sure, there will be some feature limitations (not really, unlss you are pushing graphic boundaries), but in general most things are what you make of them. If you use stock shaders and the like, your game may look like the engine you used because everyone else uses the same stock or unaltered features. In nearly all engines, even closed source stuff like Unity, you can extend features. However, if your art is custom created and you have someone working to make the game look great (like SotA does) then stuff like "Engine-Specific Feel" disappears.

In simple words: The only reason you mention the Unity engine, is because you already know it uses the Unity engine. If you didn't have this hindsight, you wouldn't even be able to recognize they used Unity. They have made the engine their own, and you can tell. If you know what you're talking about anyway.

This is hard for even a seasoned Unity dev to spot the "Unity" quirks in SotA. Honestly, if I didn't know already, I probably wouldn't even have guessed- and I have used Unity3D since 2010.

Source: I'm a Unity Dev, so I'd know. Many games in Unity you can tell use Unity. This is not one of them. Games like this, if they never told you, you'd never know.

A tip for the OP: If you see no future in it, you are seriously mistaken. The game could change so much from now until release, you wouldn't even know it's the same game. (This could be good, or bad. The point being that even a game that is in early development can have incredible changes in only a month or two- even if that is less likely most of the time, it is certainly possible when the game is as barebones as this one is.)

Really, no one can tell SotA's future. It is too early to tell- one way or another. (IMO no one can say it'll be a good game, just as no one can say it'll be a bad one. We just have to wait. Things can change a lot, or not at all. It really just depends.) What I can tell you is that they've done a lot to get the base of the game up and going- which is a significant amount of work. However adding content is something all to itself. Content & Balance is everything, which is why this game can change (improve/get worse) before launch. What won't change is a lot of the underlying code and core elements (and even those can change, it's just much less likely).

8. Sire Lancelot

Sire Lancelot Avatar

WOW first days play -- congrats!

Did you read the disclaimer when you logged in that mentions something about being pre alpha?

9. Borg

Borg Avatar

When you enter a game in alpha stage you are supposed to help and give your opinion not just complain.
    I wonder how many games have you seen with this level of detail in alpha stage.
    Floating items have nothing to be with Unity, you should just better report the location for such items to be fixed.

10. monxter

monxter Avatar

Well, the devs are taking a risk, showing the game at this early state. I guess it's not a surprise there'll be feedback that's meant for a game close to being finished.

I do agree on the resource nodes though, I just though of it when trying out mining yesterday.

By the way, the release date was changed a long time ago. Yes there's a lot of work to do.

tekkamansoul likes this.
  11. King Dane

King Dane Avatar

How many cats play video games anyway? You should just be happy that you were able to pick up a guitar and play that.

12. Zerk2012

Zerk2012 Avatar

You seam not to have a clue what your saying I use the same game engine. never judge somebody you know nothing about.
    I made my statements about what I thought of the game and expected people with little knowledge to flame.
    The unity game engine is very poor compared to todays standards of game engines that's why you can run it on a toaster instead of a PC.

13. Zerk2012

Zerk2012 Avatar

If you would of looked at the title of my post you would of seen I was not complaining just giving my observations.

14. monxter

monxter Avatar

There are tons of features to give opinions on, and to work on... but I'd reconsider calling the game a cash grab, and seeing no future in it, for example.

You also seem to make rash decisions without knowing things like how special community we've got here.
    From my point of view SoTA has a bright future with Dev team of this experience and community this enthusiastic and supportive.

Sunswords, SmokerKGB and Sir Cabirus like this.
  15. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

The Unity engine is the base of the game, everything outside of the terrain code and systems (weather,water etc) is being made outside of Unity in progs like Maya and 3Dmax, Most of the Devs have probably never worked with Unity before, It may take them years to get a full grip on all its foibles, But the engine has all the same stuff as all the other engines, If it's as I think, they are still getting to grips with Unity eventually you will see this game refined beyond what it is at the moment.
    Unity is a tool with unlimited potential, Its up to the workmen/women to use it at it's fullest potential. Which in time they will.
    Take the overland map, last release R11 it looked a bit dull, R12 the map looks 200% better in it's aesthetic and charm.
    Time will tell Zerk but I am on for the ride and so far its been exciting see it develop especially as we can affect the development through our feedback.
    Welcome to the forums m8

monxter and majoria70 like this.
  16. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

At 30+ people to pay, with overhead in a studio for over a year (machines, electricity, etc...) 5.2 million dollars!!! is less than 300k per month operating costs.

If this is seriously a "CASH GRAB", its one of the worst ones ever in the history of the long, short or street con.

It is ridiculous to think they are attempting to get rich from this amount of money.

Now, Star Citizen on the other hand, IF they had not produced what they current have, that would be far more lucrative and speculative to watch as a "CON".

Cheers.

Jynx, Sunswords, Miganarchine and 2 others like this.
  17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think you are being judged on what you say and how you say it...I definately would not have got a professional vibe out of what you posted, quite the oppoite to be exact. It seemed like someone with little knowledge of actual game making and programming wrote it, so you will have to forgive me(and probably others) for assuming you were clueless.

18. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Makes no sense. C#, Android OS, Java, can all run on a toaster as well. Those are junk too?

The engine is perfectly fine, given you know how to manipulate it.

If you are a user of the engine, and can't seem to get it to do what you want, it doesn't mean other's can't get around those problems.

It is a POOR USER who blames his tools. Its not what you use, it is HOW you use it.

Cheers

19. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Welcome to the boards, Yes, it did seem like a "Rant, complaint" sorry you feel that way.... I don't agree with any of it...

Shadoweaver, Uncle Ben and Joviex like this.
  20. Batoche1864

Batoche1864 Avatar

I'm in a similar place to Ronny, wondering what part of the disclaimer before you can log in did the OP miss? As to how to post Bug Reports & Feature Reports are handled in a seperate forums and should be handled one issue per thread.

While this is the R12 Feedback forum, couching your feedback in terms that so clearly ignore what stage this game is at and trying to deal with more than one issue per thread makes it less likely this thread actually gets any serious attention from the devs. Lumping everything together with a thread title about "first day" with a disclaimer about how it's not a rant means it really is a rant.

I'd like to ask that the OP hang around until R13 or R14 and checkout how much improvement occurs. The SotA team is small and delivering new and improved stuff at a rate teams at other, much larger, developers have trouble matching.

Giving the game 6 months or more is pretty much what you're signing up for when you buy pre-alpha access to a game. Just saying...

monxter, Shadoweaver and Jynx like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.