Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Fishing in starter area versus gated GUI introduction (at least I can't get it to work)

Discussion in 'Release 41 Feedback Forum' started by Araminus, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Araminus

Araminus Avatar

[SOLVED, see edit below]
    The latest releas(es) look awesome and makes the introduction much nicer. There is one thing that frustrates me though:
    The fishing quest in the starter area. I got so far as to train the skill. But I can't fish. I only have the combat hot-bar available. Now, there is supposed to be a non-combat one (I have auto-hide off in the settings), but I can't see it and can't drag the skill anywhere (it says I already trained it, resp. can't drag it to combat hotbar).
    Acc to the release documentation it states something in the lines of "gated GUI introduction", so I suspect I will obtain that at some point, so I could just go on and come back to the fishing. But this annoys me, I want to do the fishing there and then (since I seem to be able to do it, why delay).
    Or am I missing something extremely obvious???? Otherwise, there seems to be a flaw in the introduction to this, at least if you are a complete beginner as I view myself at this point.

SOLUTION:
    Obvious perhaps to previous player, not fully to a newb: one needs to ask the Adventure Trainer to unlock the utility bar, then you can use it. Initially I ignored this, because I didn't want the advanced deck-building etc and didn't realize the impact of the utility bar.
    Suggestion for the devs, should they read this: Have Private Fleta tell you to train utility bar as well.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Verit and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  2. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

From your skills window (defaults to K) theres a crafting tab, can you not change to that, in the middle top circle of icons theres fishing in there a fishing skill?

3. Sharaka

Sharaka Avatar

The NPC that gives the quest offers to train you. It is an underlined word.

If you say "train" she tells you to go see the craft trainer.
    You need to put 100g into fishing to learn it.

I think you may be able to cast :))) fishing from that tab but its better on a bar.

What she doesn't tell you is to see the adventurer trainer to unlock the utitily bar

Once you do that you can drag the fishing icon from the craft tab onto your non-combat bar.

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You need to press 'z' to get out of combat right?
    @Lum the Mad @Berek this is great feedback about something to add to fishing convo ;)

5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

+1

Opening bars, making SURE that the secondary bar is opened and players are aware of "Light" before heading out, and teaching them how to put glyphs on said bar is almost the whole point of the Outskirts. Make it so!

Oh, and teaching the difference between auto attack and power attack.

And probably an intro into how XP works.

So basically it's the tutorial, and hopefully all this is coming soon.

Zader and liz_the_wiz like this.
  6. Araminus

Araminus Avatar

I have done all of that. I trained the skill (see my post), I have bait, I have fishing rod equiped, I stand by the pond, I know how to open skill window, but again, as I stated: I drag the fishing skill on to my only hotbar, I receive message "I can't have this on combat hotbar". I click on skill in skill window, it says "you have already trained it".
    So, yes, the portion on how to unlock the utility bar or whatever is what is missing. And how do I do that? I can't find anything in the preferences.
    Now I have time to go back ingame, hopefully I can figure it out...

I enclose a screenshot - as you can see it says utility bar activated, in and out of combat:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qhs74y0q30kbmbc/SotA_04-29-17_22-45_1.png?dl=0

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Net likes this.
  7. Net

Net Avatar

You need to train non combat bar. I am sorry I do not know who teaches that one but it is kind of recent change, so many of the older players do nto even know it needs to be trained...or where:)

Araminus likes this.
  8. Araminus

Araminus Avatar

Ah, that makes sense, also in terms of the "gated" GUI thingy. But it doesn't make sense to give out a starter quest if you can't do it (maybe that's the intention, but not obvious in that case). Thanks. I will just continue playing and see what happens & when.

9. Verit

Verit Avatar

I made a toon to try the new player area and got stuck at this same point.
    I trained fishing but only had a combat bar.

Zader and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  10. Cobra101

Cobra101 Avatar

The adventurer trainer, who is by the tents closest to the blacksmith, teaches the utility bar but since both the characters I ran through here already had it I don't know if there is a level requirement to get it or if it is - as the OP put it - "gated".

Whatever is isn't helpful for a new starter to get stopped dead like this on the first quest

Verit and Araminus like this.
  11. Araminus

Araminus Avatar

Yes! This! I missed that part, because the first time I spoke to him, I wanted to go with the non-advanced part. So, maybe just me after all....

12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Not gated, but also not very obvious at all. It's really easy to miss and go wandering out into the cold and the dark and the wet without Light.

Verit likes this.
  13. ManWithNoTan

ManWithNoTan Avatar

Many new players, including myself, were stuck on this. Once I finally read the instruction guide and unlocked the utility hotbar, lots of new players kept asking me how to fish. It was rather frustrating being required to unlock a hotbar. People were even asking this on Steam. If that many people get stuck on this, it may be a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.