1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugs… QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Fix Needs Testing] Frequent game freeze while soloing or having group adventure

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by Chiasma, Dec 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

12/11/2021 11:50
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:100%
    Blocker?
    Details:
    I need to avoid the camera looking at the center, otherwise the game run extremely slowly:
    [​IMG]

Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 65469
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 GPU RAM: 12143
    SotA.Win.64.1492.Date.12.03.21
    Area: Mistrendur_TheBreach
    Area Display Name: The Breach
    Loc: (-60.7, 65.3, -52.3)
    Debug: TWlzdHJlbmR1cl9UaGVCcmVhY2h8fCgtNjAuNzExLCA2NS4yNTQsIC01Mi4zNDYpfCgwLCAtMC4wNCwgMCwgMC45OTkpfDM1NS41MjY5fDI4LjA5MzU0fDE4

2. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

12/11/2021 11:50
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate: 99.9%
    Blocker?
    Details:
    I started joining a group adventure today, probably the first one this year but I got frequent game freeze. Game freeze happens to me while I am soloing as well. It makes adventure not fun at all and exists for years.

I have upgraded the computer these days to a better one. Other games run super fast but game freeze still happens here. Hope Chris may have a look and not sure if there is any fix for this.

Here's a video for today's adventure, a great group adventure but I could not cast a healing spell during game freeze to save a party member who are in danger.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 65469
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 GPU RAM: 12143
    SotA.Win.64.1492.Date.12.03.21
    Area: Mistrendur_TheBreach
    Area Display Name: The Breach
    Loc: (-60.7, 65.3, -52.3)
    Debug: TWlzdHJlbmR1cl9UaGVCcmVhY2h8fCgtNjAuNzExLCA2NS4yNTQsIC01Mi4zNDYpfCgwLCAtMC4wNCwgMCwgMC45OTkpfDM1NS41MjY5fDI4LjA5MzU0fDE4

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  3. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

This is most likely related to the overall issues Unity games experience when using Nvidia RTX (20xx and 30xx) GPUs
    Related SotA thread: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ance-issues-still-there-for-rtx-cards.163687/

I've been monitoring Nvidia threads and complaints for this for a range of Unity games.

Please try this: go into Nvidia Control Panel and select "Manage 3D Settings" then either select global or or locate the 'Shroud of the Avatar' executable on the program settings tab (may need to add it to your list) and turn off and HDR/HDRP options including Image Sharpening.

It seems that the FPS cratering mainly occurs when there is a ton of VFX on the screen and NVidia is not playing nice with Unity's integration for HDR (High Dynamic Resolution). This would apply to any upscaling as well, (I suspect).

Nvidia is supposed to have native support for HDRP in Unity 2021 (which we are working to migrate to, but there is no timeframe as of yet for implementation for SotA, as we continue to resolve issues we find on our unity 2021 testbed and make adjustments to allow our codebase to run correctly on the updated Unity platform.

Owsley and Chiasma like this.
  4. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

Could not find HDR/HDRP/Image Sharpening options. Which options should I turn off?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Ravalox

Ok, do you see anything like them in the global settings tab?

I Don't have an RTX myself. I'll check with Chris on Monday to see what he's got. Might be able to get better info.

In the mean time might be a good idea to experiment with turning off some of the options and testing in a battle. (options like Texture filtering, change to something other than quality, etc)

Chiasma likes this.
  6. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Ravalox Perhaps SotA might be able to get itself added to the list of games within the "Geforce Experience" list, which gives users the ability to "optimize" their video settings for the game, based on system specs, etc (maybe there are even additional settings developers can pick that aren't presented to users):

[​IMG]

7. Echondas

@Chiasma Is there a HDR related section within the "Display" section for you in the Nvidia Control Panel? I don't have it, because I don't have supported hardware, but perhaps it pops up there for you, if you do? Also, there is an "HDR" setting within Windows itself, if you click Start, Settings, System, Display, Windows HD Color ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chiasma and Alley Oop like this.
  8. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

Seems no HDR settings in global and other NVIDIA option related to HDR. HDR is "No" in Windows settings:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Echondas likes this.
  9. Echondas

Chiasma likes this.
  10. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

Already running the latest Game Ready Driver. I will try to take a look for the Studio one when I have more time for that...

Echondas likes this.
  11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Patch Notes

Release 97

Build Number 1499 – January 6th, 7AM

The “Bloom” option in graphics settings will now also disable HDR rendering. This is an attempt to fix the massive frame rate drop several players with Nvidia 20×0 and 30×0 cards have seen but we have been unable to reproduce. If you have severe frame rate drops in combat, please disable bloom and see if it helps!

@Chiasma

12. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

Disable "Bloom" option seems to "delay" the time of dropping frame rate. Not sure the dropping of frame rate occurs when there is enough VFX "played" but the tolerance is increased after disabling the "Bloom" option.

I still experience 10 FPS right now. It is easy to reproduce when you load a big farm (e.g. 2k plants), watering them, playing with ctrl+ w to check watering (e.g. showing 2k+ white smoke VFX), visiting random scenes to complete daily quest and go to some adventuring scene.
    [​IMG]

Ravalox likes this.
  13. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

turning off the bloom only as you said delays the frame issue. So @Ravalox pretty sure its something else in unity. from what I know based on many years of dealing with the bug is this:

1. the more scenes you visit especially pots with high number of objects etc... the more likely it will happen.
    2. if you have very fast speeds it seems to happen even quicker (my guess its related to loading and unloading of textures or perhaps a cache or memory issue)
    3. when the slow down happens if you rotate the camera around 180 of the camera has the frame issue the other 180 runs smooth always
    4. if you start to get teh slow down hitting f9 speeds everything up. but if you had slow for a while it eventually does not help you any more.
    5. happens more frequently in large groups with lots of fx's
    6. does not happen on 10xx cards or under so anything above with RTX seems to have the issue.
    7. When the slow down gets really bad the at Crunch climbs up and tends to get pinned at 1.0 or .09
    8. after all the above if the slow happens and you keep playing it will crash 100%

One thing I do know is current version of unity with DLSS turned on gives another 30fps on unity games that implement it. this is seen across the board on other engines as well. something to look at once the new U2021 is up and running.

hope some of this helps narrow it down.

Ravalox likes this.
  14. Ravalox

@Chiasma and @Xee, thanks for the input!! I too am hoping the Unity 2021 resolves this and many other issues we have under the hood. I'll keep monitoring the Nvidia and Unity forums just in case something new is found in the meantime.

Echondas and Chiasma like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.