1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugsā€¦ QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Fixed 67515] Slow sowing seed / watering / harvesting issue

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by Chiasma, Aug 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

This issue often happens to me as my lot have too many decorations or planting plots. Slow network may be one of the reasons. I don't have any movie recording software. I will try to explain this issue below with screen captures. The time to refresh the planting plot image (e.g. after sowing seeds / watering / harvesting) is too slow for me. I have to spend much time farming a small farm.

1. Prepare a number of planting plots (more planting plots or decorations near avatar are better for reproducing this issue)
    [​IMG]

2. Start batch sowing seeds
    [​IMG]

3. Planting plot displays the seed icon one by one. The image refresh speed is too slow for me. The red box mostly has no seed icon on them. If I batch sow seed overlapping the planting plot in the red box area immediately, seed and water bucket will disappear from the inventory and need to re-load the scene to unlock those items.
    [​IMG]

4. Same goes for watering. Start batch watering
    [​IMG]

5. Planting plot displays watering icon one by one. Again, the image refresh speed is too slow for me. The red box finished displaying the watering icon but the blue box is still pending to display watering icon. If I batch water overlapping the planting plot in blue box immediately, water bucket will disappear from the inventory and need to re-load the scene to unlock those items.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    wizardsmoke and Alley Oop like this.
  2. Lained

Lained Avatar

I can consistently reproduce this in my row lot greenhouse (lots of deco nearby) and rarely happens on my farm lots (low dec) but I've learnt to wait for deco loading to finish and for the seedlings/watering patches to show up before continuing.

3. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

yes definitely network speed related. i experience the same as my network is sometimes good to me and sometimes not so much. i wait to water until all seeds are showing. i also wait to plant/water the next section until all waters are showing.

i also have noticed a significant difference between pots and beds. despite having individual planting spots in a bed the beds perform much, much better. when planting or watering a bed the spots updated all update at once vs the pots that update individually. because of this i try to incorporate as many beds i can and then fill the remainder with pots.

would also still love to have a plant/water highlight in the circle to help let us know which spots will be updated by the circle as it can get very difficult to tell as plants mature.

Chiasma likes this.
  4. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

The performance for refreshing the icon is a bit better for one large planting bed than many small planting plots. With a combination of both planting bed and plots, it still require me to load for a long time especially for farm with many decorations / planting plots nearby.

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I've experienced a lag sometimes while using batch skills for agriculture as well. To me I can live with the little bit of lag it incurs. I think these were such a wonderful addition to the game.

So for any who don't realize how to access these skills. Here is the trick.

Train agriculture from a crafting trainer in an NPC town. NPC is located on or near a crafting pavilion.

Place a pot or planting bed anywhere. Inside is slow to grow unless it's a greenhouse. Outside is a bit faster but green house area is fastest.

batch watering - drag icon from skill tree to non combat bar. Must have water in inventory.

batch harvesting- drag icon from skill tree to non combat bar to use.

Batch planting-drag seed onto the non combat bar. Such as apple seed cotton seed. Seeds can be purchased from npc's in the market area.

Anyway I didn't know of the batch skills or how they worked for a while so I wanted to pass it on.

For me the system that is truly lagging is making a sheet music. When I stand at my music vendor and open the song vender's menu and open a blank sheet music to look for songs to prepare to restock vender lag goes in to major slow motion for me. I like to listen to some songs to check them before preparing but the slow motion makes it so very difficult to do any of it. Songs sound choppy and struggle to play. I have bug reported several times.

Is this the same thing you are experiencing with batch planting? I will check today and see if it's very buggy too for me

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thanks for this, I've linked to the team :)

7. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

@Elgarion @Chris did my best to post on twitter but the message spanning is not awesome. guess its good to post it here as well anyway for reference purposes.

posted on twitter in response to replication steps request (with a few additions):

You are going to need a bandwidth limiter to test if you have a good connection as I am very positive it is network speed related. I am not sure if it happens with single planting but it happens a lot when using the watering or planting AOE and slow connection with lots of planting pots. You will need a lot of pots together to test, not just a few. I have table-tops with 18 pots per table that will replicate. Do a seed or water AOE with your bandwidth limited and as the pots start to pop as watered or seeded water or plant another section (or the same section) before all the ones you just did popped. By pop I mean show as complete. Also, how the watering happens appears to be different between a group of pots vs a bed. The beds don't do this and when watering or planting all pop the section watered/sowed at the same time. If the watering or planting AOE would gather what pots are to be watered/planted and all sent to the server at once, or at least change how a group of pots works to work the same as the bed planting spots, it may fix the issue. I believe right now it sends them individually vs the bed which sends them all at once. I will see if I can a video for you when my internet is poopy as this happens to me fairly often.

8. wizardsmoke

wizardsmoke Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thanks for all of the info! This gives me a good place to start debugging. :)

I'll keep y'all updated, but depending on the complexity of the fix, it may not make it until the next release (82).

Chiasma, Tirrag, Anpu and 1 other person like this.
  9. Lained

Lained Avatar

This, talking to the server is synchronous so each item needs to wait for the last to return, multiply the number of pots by your latency plus any decorations currently loading in and it's easy to see the slow response.

Tirrag likes this.
  10. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

@Lained I agree but I think the process may be able to be optimized to send a batch of pots instead of just one call per pot since at the time it finishes it knows exactly what pots it needs to update and then begins updating one-by-one. Something is different too between how pots behave and how beds behave, despite a bed being made up of individual planting spots. There may be code there that can be leveraged to make a group of individual pots perform better.

@wizardsmoke @Elgarion I am uploading an animated gif showing the issue and will PM you when it is uploaded.

Lained likes this.
  11. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Awesome, thanks! We'll be on the lookout for it :)

12. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

just a followup so the folks following along know, i did get an example to @wizardsmoke.

Lained and Anpu like this.
  13. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

on a side note, @Chiasma what are your water/sow levels at? curious for reference based on your target AOE size. thank you :)

14. wizardsmoke

I have identified the problem in code, and am working on fixing it. Thanks again for everyone's help with this! All of the info that y'all provided really helped me quickly track down the part of the code that needs to be addressed.

I am considering various solutions, so it is not clear yet how complex the fix will be, but I'll post in this thread with any further progress updates.

Anpu, Tirrag, Lained and 1 other person like this.
  15. wizardsmoke

Created issue #67515

Tirrag likes this.
  16. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

wonderful news @wizardsmoke! thank you so much for following back around and giving us information. can't emphasize how appreciated it is :)

wizardsmoke likes this.
  17. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

The screen was made in offline mode for easier capturing, so the level is at maximum :)

This issue mainly exist in online mode. It is difficult for me to capture many screen captures without movie recording software or save and reload.

Tirrag likes this.
  18. wizardsmoke

Happy Monday! :)

I spent some more time looking into this issue. For Release 81, I have made a small change that may somewhat improve the issue. Unfortunately, the real fix is not trivial. I am aiming to patch the fix to QA next month for testing, so that it will be ready for Release 82.

Chiasma, Tirrag, Anpu and 1 other person like this.
  19. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

Thanks wizardsmoke. It is so great that the watering issue get fixed. I can keep on casting batch watering without afraid of getting the water bucket locked. And now, sowing seeds and harvesting are still pending to be fixed.

For batch sowing seeds, seed and water bucket get locked if batch sowing seed overlaps some spot which has not completed icon loading (e.g. sowed seed but pending to refresh the seed icon on pot).

For harvesting, batch harvesting has no harvesting effect if it overlap on spot which has not completed loading (e.g. just harvested the plant but the plant icon is pending to be destroyed on pot)

wizardsmoke likes this.
  20. wizardsmoke

Another update:

Today, I completed the real fix for this issue. As I said before, we are planning to put it on QA this month (possibly this week), so that we can get some additional testing, work out any issues that may come up, and have it ready for Release 82 at the end of the month. If anyone is interested in doing some testing on QA, keep an eye out for an upcoming announcement about this in the QA forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.