1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugsā€¦ QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Fixed 70850, Fix Needs Testing 70954] Pendro's Survey Not Working

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by williamleara, Oct 14, 2022.

1. williamleara

williamleara Avatar

Pendro is in Yew. He has a "runebag" quest--this works fine for me.

Pendro also has a "survey" quest. This is not working for me. In a nutshell, he invites me to take a survey. I answer one question, and then he won't give me any more questions. But, the task stays active, and says I need to answer more questions. So Pendro is both asking me to answer more questions, but refusing to give me more questions.

Example:
    Charybdis: research
    Pendro: I study local fauna, flora, and the environment. In fact ... would you
    be inclined to take a short survey, for science? Your responses would be
    helpful to scholars across the land! If you're agreeable, I can give you
    instructions for taking the survey.

My choices:
    1. They were healthy and challenging foes.
    2. -- [Lie] They were weak, diseased, and dying.
    3. Let me think about that.
    So, already something is amiss. Answer #1 doesn't make sense in this context. If I take answer #1, I get:
    Pendro: Excellent information. We have two more questions.

If I say "question" he responds:
    Pendro: I have no survey questions at this time.

I've also tried saying "survey", it doesn't get me anywhere.

So I'm stuck. Why won't he give me survey questions?

2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Pendro should only say this if you don't have a survey ticket in your inventory. (Did you put it in your bank, or in your home?)

Once you have a survey ticket in your avatar's inventory again, Pendro should be able to ask you questions again.

3. williamleara

williamleara Avatar

Thanks for the response @Sannio!

No, I don't have a survey ticket, and I never had one. (checked the bank too) This sounds like the problem.

Perhaps it's the same issue this guy was trying to report?
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...d-with-boundless-runebag.171818/#post-1342337

I was following the runebag quest, had no idea what this "ecology survey" thing was about, and then Pendro started asking me about it when I was trying to give him a runebag.

If you don't see a bug in the game logic, maybe you could tell me where I can go to get a survey ticket?

4. williamleara

williamleara Avatar

also, if it makes any difference, I am playing Offline.

5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

On the overland are various creatures that will draw you into a scene (these are known as Roving Encounters), for example Bandits. If you encounter a Bandit on the overland, it then loads a scene with Bandits. Defeat all of them, and then you have a chance that a NPC will appear. One of those NPC can be the Ecology Researcher. Just speak to them and agree to help them and they will give you a Survey Ticket.

6. williamleara

williamleara Avatar

@Anpu, interesting. I'll try that, thanks.

Anpu likes this.
  7. Sannio

@williamleara , thanks for the additional information!

I looked into the situation and it turns out that the bug isn't that you couldn't continue the questions, but that you were given the questions in the first place. You should only receive the survey questions if you have a survey ticket. I see where the problem is and I'll put in a fix. Issue #70850

In the meantime, like Anpu said, if you complete a random encounter and a researcher shows up, you should talk to them. Say "research" to the researcher to get a conversation choice where "I'll answer survey questions" or "I'll take your survey, but my time isn't free" responses will give you a fresh survey ticket. That ticket will allow you to continue the survey questions with Pendro.

Anpu likes this.
  8. williamleara

williamleara Avatar

@Sannio, @Anpu, fantastic, thanks for the great support guys.

Anpu likes this.
  9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

fix needs testing as of 1590

10. williamleara

williamleara Avatar

My current status: (release 108)
    • I still have a quest in my journal asking me to get another question from Pendro
    • I've probably done like 15 "roving encounters", but I never see the ecology researcher
    • I keep getting stuck with dumb stuff like the "Peasant Clothing Merchant"!! :)
    • Or, I "sense a great threat", and then the great threat comes and kicks my rear end
    So, I don't think I'll be of service in testing this.

11. williamleara

williamleara Avatar

Update:
    • I found an Ecology Researcher and got a ticket!
    • I got a new quest, "Talk to Magic Shop Manager"
    • I went back to Pendro, answered all the questions (two of them), thus completing the "Ask for Another Survey Question" quest
    • At the same time I got assigned, and completed, the "Ask for Final Survey Question" and "Exchange Ticket for Compensation" quests
    However, after all these completed quests, I still have "Talk to Magic Shop Manager" as a quest. Why is this still here? I don't have a ticket anymore, and I already finished the dialog with Pendro!

12. Sannio

I'm glad you were able to progress, but sorry to learn you have a lingering task. We often set up tasks to have a special safety feature that will auto-archive them if they fail to do so on completion of the task. This happens when you change scenes. I just checked that task and see it wasn't set up with the safety feature, so I'll be adding it. Issue #70954.

You won't have to do anything special on your end. Once the change goes live with the next release, all you'll have to do is log in and the task should immediately auto-archive itself.

Anpu and williamleara like this.
  13. williamleara

williamleara Avatar

14. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

fix needs testing as of 1616