Food buffs, only work while out of combat?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by brhanson2, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Agreed....I remember another game I played where if you didn't eat.. you would just fall over dead. It wasn w/o warning but as in RL.. no eat.. no go. Also.. I recall constantly feeding my horse in UO (early UO) because if I didn't it would , as I recall. not only get honery .. if memory serves me correctly... they'd go wild on you. On that note... I think pets in sota should require food as well.

2. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

If that's the case you shouldn't need lemon, garlic and butter to roast some wolf meat.

Nikko and GreyMouser Skye like this.
  3. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Fallout New Vegas was like that (and even mentioned by Darkstarr in a hangout). The longer you went without food, the more penalties you'd suffer until you died of starvation. I wouldn't mind seeing that in SotA.

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

My understanding is that it is only Tier 4 and 5 foods that last thru a death. Lower tier foods must be eaten again after death.
    The next time I'm ingame I'll test a lower tier food and see if it carries over, but the highend foods last after death (the buffs they give do).

5. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Lower tier foods now last over death (at least the one hour ones do - haven't tested the ones that are under an hour)

FrostII likes this.
  6. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

I can see it now.....food carts by the ankhs selling food for the weary traveler. LOL

FrostII and By Tor like this.
  7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I disagree and will continue to eat my highend foods. My health regen is very much faster when I've eaten.

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I am totally whining about the answer given in the hangout about eating and sleeping. I already wrote off topic and ranted for poor MrBlights thread of his unaswered great questions.

Andartianna and Luca Xante like this.
  9. brhanson2

brhanson2 Avatar

I just tested again this morning. Not kicking after a period of time after using a glyph. The regen doesnt kick in at all until I hit Z to sheath weapon.

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

And waht did they say?

GreyMouser Skye likes this.
  11. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

Food buff regeneration is a nice thing especially at higher adventurer levels when you have to regenerate 800+ hp/focus. While health regen is not affected in combat, Focus participates in combat from foodbuff. "In combat" means: armed weapon regardless if you fight or not. Out of comabt means: disarmed and non-combat glyphes show up.

12. Gix

Gix Avatar

Food and potions are my only source of healing.

While I believe food regen SHOULD still take effect (even at a reduced rate) in combat, I don't believe for a second that cooking is "useless". In the game's current state, mobs aggro in such large groups and respawn so fast that any bit of regeneration (like 3-5 seconds for the mob to reach me) helps me stay on top of the ever-increasing pile of corpses.

In fact, it's one of the only things I can do that doesn't break stealth.

P.S. - PLEASE don't sell stacks of 30+ food. It's heavy. I'm not a walking warehouse. I'd rather buy stacks of 5 or 10.

What? About not making the game a complete chore to play by forcing people to eat and sleep? Did I miss any other detail?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  13. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

Why don't you add heal from Life-school? It's free.
    You can buy bigger stacks with better prices. Store it in your bank ;)

14. Gix

Gix Avatar

Because then I wouldn't be playing a character that I wanted to play.

It is, after-all, a role playing game. I had the impression that Richard Garriott cares more about role-playing than min-maxing and "flavour of the month" builds.

Why would I buy more than I'm willing to carry around? As a customer, I clearly explained what turns me away from a particular purchase.

I'm actually one of the few people in the game that doesn't want to craft a single thing in the game, so I'm 100% client and 0% competitor in the market. So if people are complaining about lack of sales... maybe these people should take notes.

If I see food at a public vendor and there's a stack of 5 and another stack of 30+, I'm buying a stack of 5. If I only see a stack of 30+, with the current weight of food, I'd need to evaluate how desperate I am for food before I'd go for the purchase.

The only exception would be if I happen to buy things near my local area... THEN (and only then) would using the bank be a benefit for me.

Albus likes this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

A chore to you perhaps, but we are a role-playing game too. I did not come up with the idea, it has been mentioned in early days of development, and if logging off in your bed in game or in a camp ground to get a resting bonus the next day is difficult, to me I don't feel the same. So far in my experience it has been kind of cool to what has happened with adventuring with friends and the interactions that happen because of some requirement for food and buffs. For example sometimes before we go kill a boss some people will say things like 'don't forget to eat' and 'does everyone have food, anyone need some? I have spares'? This opens up more chances for generosity and interaction between players to help and support each other that might not have been there . If we had to sleep, it would be 'don't forget to log off in a bed'. or if we could all carry sleeping bags and at least click on our sleeping bags, and then but maybe the sleeping bag doesn't give as much resting bonus as a bed in an inn or if we rested in it in a campground would. So I don't see Why this is all bad? But of course imo.

Albus likes this.
  16. Gix

Gix Avatar

Well maybe for YOU it isn't, but we are playing a video game.

Some people like spending endless hours of their leisure time in a flight simulator. Training to figure out how their plane works, how radio works and looking at nothing else but a bunch of dials and a blue sky for a trip from New York to Vancouver.

Other people prefer playing the fantasy of being a pilot. They accept concepts like gravity, G-force and lift but don't want the hassle of spending 10 minutes just to start up the airplane and flying aimlessly for hours before they find something interesting to do.

In the racing community, there is a distinction between "a real racing game" and a "game of real racing".

Shroud of the Avatar is a video game about the fantasy of being in a role of a great wizard or warrior or whatever... which also happens to be in a fantasy setting. If sleep should ever be involved, it should be through story (Bioware anyone?).

If I have to log off, I shouldn't have to be bothered to look for a bed. With the speed at which days go by in this game, I shouldn't have to look for a bed every hour. Etc. The list goes on.

Food is crafted, traded and consumed... and I can do it anytime I want.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Fister Magee likes this.
  17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And because you can't be bothered we should have few details. We logged off in beds in many games and it was just part of the game. Besides then don't look for a bed and then you would have to make decisions that effect your character to feel better, like Richards food video. Oh well I have no patience to argue it, I tried and Darkstarr said no.

Fister Magee likes this.
  18. mass

mass Avatar

I actually like this stuff in games too and I think it could be done gently enough to not be such an annoyance. Like after 8 hours of game play, you needed to let your character eat and sleep. For most of us, that's several gaming sessions and could be rectified with a 10 second eating bar and a 10 second sleep on a bedroll bar. But I suspect we are in the minority.

19. Gix

Gix Avatar

Care to name a few where it actually had an impact in game-play?

Requesting to not do chores in a video game is not the same as asking to not have detail.

If you want to sleep in a bed, you can. Why do you have to justify it through mechanics that impede other players?

If sleeping in a bed gave you some kind of "role-play points" or whatever instead of some combat bonus, then yes, by all means.

20. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I think this is a bug! I couldnt figure out why my health was changing yesterday, and was experimenting with all my skills and stuff to figure the cause. I diddnt want to give up my costly bear steak n potatoes, but now wish I would have as I would have figured this out too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.