For all the PvE players, what (if anything) would make you willing to flag for PvP?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by boosh, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Then I shall flag for pie.

It is not the same as non-cake though: Rather a condition where I can have my cake, and eat it too, while still enjoying pie none-the-less. :)

Silent Strider and docdoom77 like this.
  2. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

This is why I prefer the concept of separate PvP and PvE instances for the same hex. A player leaving the PvP group would be stuck in PvP until he managed to get out of the local map and into the overland map, and only then he would be safe. This curtails exploits while still allowing players to quickly leave PvP whenever they are safe if they so desire.

The same can be emulated without the separate instances, of course.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

This is what entices me more than anything. Sure I'll try some contested areas for rare mats around volcanos or whatever. But the idea that flagging has story behind it, and there are new quests for me to experience? I will absolutely feel obligated to check it out at least once.

4. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

I have no problem with any in-game mechanics that prevent exploits while at the same time also prevent easy escape.
    The duration could consist of time whilst in current hex, and upon leaving said hex cause the ungrouped player to be unflagged.

However, no zoning should be permitted while in combat in order to provide the PK'er the opportunity to complete the kill. I abhor games that enable people to recall out or even Alt-F4 in PvP areas. Your avatar should still be in the same area you last occupied if you try to pull that stupid s**t.

5. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Actually, IMHO zoning — defined as leaving the zone by walking out of it — should be possible in order to allow players the option to flee by manually getting out of the hex. It's quick travel that should be restricted, exactly to prevent the exploit you described.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

But in that example let's say I'm hot on your heels and you're one or two blows away from death. Do you not think that's a free quick travel since we're both still in combat?

7. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

There needs to be a way to flee. Not guaranteed, of course, but possible to pull off, specially if the fleeing player built up his character for it. Not every combat should end with the death of everyone on one side.

Also, I assume there will be ways to hamper a fleeing character. Skills that restrict movement, after all, are breath and butter for PvPers in nearly every single MMO.

8. Margard

Margard Avatar

Judging from the instances that we have seen ... it may be a lot harder to run to an edge ... it really depends on how the instance is generated

I imagine that there will be times where the environment is open allowing easy exits

.. But if there is a "chokepoint" instance ... well ... I imagine that there will be only One entry and One Exit point

Brute force will be the name of that game :)

Silent Strider and Mercyful Fate like this.
  9. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

Also needing consideration are the hex entrances and exits. If there is only one or two ways in or out then I'm anticipating that they would become heavily camped by gank squads.

10. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well, according to some very vocal PvP advocates around here, that shouldn't be any problem for you; you have 2 feet ! figure it out lol

11. Margard

Margard Avatar

Run Margard RUN!

docdoom77 and tradyblix like this.
  12. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

Not a problem for me! ;)

We ARE, however, positing ideas in a PvE'er thread. :p

13. Hawkins

Hawkins Avatar

I will flag only for guild wars and siege.

14. Lexcalibur

Lexcalibur Avatar

I am pro full-PvP and pro loot (but not full loot), but I will not be flagging PvP under the current system.

My character will be focusing on Gathering, with some Combat/Magic to handle PVE encounters (and the main quest). There is little point engaging in PvP, as I will almost always lose to a dedicated PvPer. I would not mind this so much, but I will be "competing" with other gatherers who no doubt will not be flagging PvP. Therefore, flagging PvP just feels like all risk and no reward.

I would only flag PvP if there was some benefit to gathering. For example, a resource node yield bonus of 5% +1% per day of being flagged PvP (25% max) would probably convince me to flag PvP and leave it on. Sorry if something like this has already been suggested - I don't have time to read through all the posts.

Flip likes this.
  15. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

As stated this week in the Deep Dives, resources and crafting stations will be put into "contested" (PvP) zones. Those in those zones will yield higher results than normal (I don't think they've said exactly how much). If you go to those areas in Single Player or somehow otherwise non-PvP, then the bonuses will not be applied. So someone getting an Ore Vein in Multiplayer Online in a Contested area will get more than a player in Single Player mining the same vein.

Silent Strider and NRaas like this.
  16. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Good suggestion, that is actually under consideration by the devs as an incentive to enter certain PvP enforced hexes. :)

(Edit: so close, Ninja'd)

Silent Strider and docdoom77 like this.
  17. Lexcalibur

Lexcalibur Avatar

I am aware of the contested zones, but I will not be using them. They seem to be set up more for people who want to engage in group PvP, with the increased resource yield as the reward for holding an area. As a predominantly solo-gatherer, I would only go there if they are empty most of the time, but if they are empty then they are not really serving their purpose.

Akeashar likes this.
  18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well, I don't think there should be extra resources for those flagged for open pvp because potentially they could never face any more risk. They could possibly never see another player flagged for full open pvp while they are adventuring. It really would depend on the numbers of players who do that, which could be a lot or not many.

I guess you could make a formula based on percentage of a chance to e attacked by another player and then add a small percentage to resources gained but that would be a nightmare to balance.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

To balance in an open system — in other words, to determine a bonus once that will be static and applied henceforth — yes, would be hard.

But it might not be so hard to do in a closed loop system — in other words, using how efficiently players are gathering resources in PvP areas to change the bonus in real time, rising or lowering it as needed.

The Portalarium team seems to understand closed systems quite a bit, so it might not be such a stretch for them to build such a closed loop system.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I agree, open PvP has it's reward - PvP.

The extra opportunity for rare resources and creatures comes from PvP in areas that PvP has a purpose. But it's extra opportunity, not extra simply because you are flagged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.