Formula or process for skill gain

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by fogcutter, Jun 24, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fogcutter

fogcutter Avatar

Howdy all,

This is a simple question I should already know the answer for but.....
    To raise skill in say..Taming...is it based on how many times I do it or how difficult it was to do or a combination of both?

For instance, every time I summon a pet I can see the skill gain x amount on the glyph. There's not discernible (to me anyway) difficulty in summoning a pet and I get a skill gain every time I do it. So does this mean I get the same skill gain amount every time I use a skill or do I get greater skill gains for successful event (like a hit from an arrow) ?

Damian Killingsworth likes this.
  2. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

I will use taming as an example as well to try to explain.

To get taming to 100 it takes 1,212,422 adventure xp. Every time you use the taming skill it will apply xp to that skill. The smaller your adventure xp pool is the less xp will get applied to the skill. The larger your adventure xp pool is the more xp will be applied to the skill.

The end result is it cost the same exact xp to get to 100 but you will have to use the skill more to get to 100 if you have a low xp pool. You can test this by gathering a pool of 100,000 and use the skill. Now gather a pool of 2,000,000 and use the skill. You will see you a larger skill gain will the 2 million pool.

*EDIT - Here is a good spreadsheet you can reference for the amount of xp needed per skill and level.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...vmNjTK2dRTbkb4d98V3D7e2a1E/edit#gid=380629855

Damian Killingsworth likes this.
  3. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

• Every time you defeat an enemy, you get rewarded with XP which goes into your XP pool.
    • If you have a skill or skills set to train, every time you use a related skill or perform a related action (falling, swinging sword, etc), a small amount of your XP goes out of your pool and into the skill
    • The more skills you have set to train, the less XP gets applied to each skill
    • The smaller your pool, the less XP gets applied to each skill
    • The amount of XP required to gain a level increases exponentially as the level rises. AFAIK, the increases occur at levels 40, 80, 90, 100, and 120.
    • Skill Decay applies on death: From @Chris work blog:
    • Some skills will not train without a valid target

4. fogcutter

fogcutter Avatar

Great information all...thanks! So to answer my original questions using the information given....I can make these assumptions:

1)doesn't matter if I tame a cat or a polar bear...it raises skill the same amount.
    2) the still gain is the same for success or failure in taming a creature
    3) my taming skill gain will raise faster if I have 1.2 m pooled xp than if I had say...600 k or less xp

Does that sound about right?

Grimbone and GreyMouser Skye like this.
  5. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

All sounds about right, except I think a success will put more pooled xp into the skill than if you fail. Not positive on that, but pretty sure.

6. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

99% sure that normally successes apply more experience to the skill than failing. Only exceptions I've seen have been "discovery" patterns that I've failed on before I discovered it. Probably a bug.

7. Xkhan

Xkhan Avatar

A question I've always had with these people with literally 3 million in their pool...to GET that they have to turn everything off right? So nothing is going into anything. You turn something on and the pool will go away QUICK (!!) but the proportion to how much you lose / skill gain seems really bad, AND when you turned skills off to get the pool all that time could have been used to work a skill n'est pas?

I feel close to understanding this just cant grasp why people have such a large pool...

8. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

You always spend a percentage of your pool when set to gain, so it will go away at the same speed regardless of pool size (when working a single skill). However, the amount of xp applied to the skill increases with the larger pool, so the skill will level up faster with a large pool than with a small one.

For crafting, you really only get xp while gathering, so yes you are choosing not to advance those skills in order to keep the pool to apply to crafting. However, thats really the only way to advance it at a reasonable cost, since you are also sacrificing gear, ore, and materials to raise it. I wouldn't recommend doing the same for combat skills; get a modest pool and then let the skills raise naturally as you gain xp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.