Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Free movement and placement of items in the word (again)

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Oct 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I was in Soltown at night. It was quite dark at the inn, so I was thinking about getting some lightsources. A latern or some candles and place them there on the tables. But of course this was not possible.
    I played around a bit more, taking a tankard from a table and thinking about how cool it would have been to just place it on some other table... I went outside and wanted to move around some barrels and crates, maybe a chair... nothing. I wanted to drop my sword on a table... nothing...
    Of course I know that such things are not possible yet still it disappointed me - more than it should have.
    Then I quit the game and startet Ultima 7 and see there it was possible...

I really think that SotA needs the free movement and placement of objects anywhere in the world - at least in the offline mode.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    Eriador, rune_74, Rinaldi and 4 others like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I agree well for the online of course also. I want the best of both worlds. ;)

3. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

H'oh boy, here we go again. Heheh. I am right there with you Darkmoon. U7 was my favorite too and a large portion of it's charm was being able to interact with, take and adds thing to the world. I remember when I logged into SoTA for the first time one of the very first things I did was attempt to drag a sword off a table. It worked, so naturally, I tried to put it back. What was this? I couldn't add it back to the world? Preposterous!

I really thought it was a nice touch in U6 when you 'dropped' a glass or a mug several hexes away from you it would shatter, so it was basically you hurling it across the room. You would hear a little *kchink!* and get the message Mug broke! We need this capability in taverns for drunken nights when I'm up playing shanties on the piano and the audience gets a little rambunctious. Gotta keep those barmaids on their toes. I can imagine them griping if you broke something or even put it on the floor: "Another mess to clean up." "Hey, don't leave your stuff laying around." "I guess you expect me to clean up after you, eh?" And the classic, "Oh, my aching back."

PS, I am glad you posted instances of how you would use it. I think where previous threads on the subject go wrong is everyone gets so bent on arguing for or against it, we quickly lose sight of discussing the fun scenarios it could be used for. I do think the devs are aware this is still a hot topic that many of us are for...not something that is going to just get lost in the shuffle. So if we're going to have another thread about it, let's make it a creatively constructive one?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    Ahuaeynjgkxs, Rinaldi and Sir Cabirus like this.
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yea definately the person who is responsible for priorities in developpement should really do something about such things.

Why work so much on pvp and balance of skills when you can't even interact with the world in a fun way ?

It's beyond me... so wrong...

5. Rabum Alal

Rabum Alal Avatar

I would like to add many impassable objects to major areas of traffic just to do it.

Nah, I'm just goofin'.

But maybe things like that are what they have in mind when not allowing this?

6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

In online mode there could be an item decay over time.

Eriador likes this.
  7. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

More sandfox and freedom = better. (And I am not saying that we should forget about the single player/story experience)

8. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

As Lord Darkmoon stated, and many others in the many other threads about the topic before, this problem would be countered by having item decay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.