Friend UI request

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Drake Aedus, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

We would love to have additional functionality with the Friends list menu.

My first suggestion is tagging friends. It would be nice to keep track of your PvP buddies, for example. Or maybe crafting customers.

My next suggestion is a way to add new tabs (like in chat) and filter them by tags. So we can have, for instance, a PvP friends tab!

2. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

I'd also like to know how long ago a person was online. This goes for friends as well as guild members.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  3. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

^^^^ This. We need "last seen online: x ago" info :)

ThurisazSheol and Drake Aedus like this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'd like to know what other people have friended me, even if I haven't friended them.

5. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Well, the online friends are the bright named ones, and the offline are the dimmed ones. No?

6. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

You've got a point. Edited my initial response for clarity.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  7. Selene

Selene Avatar

This, definitely.

Net likes this.
  8. Net

Net Avatar

I hope we get some privacy options, I do not want everyone to track when I was online, whether I am online, and where I am. I do not mind some people knowing but there are really good friends and there are 'friends' who I barely know but I want to have contact on them for various reasons (e.g. to give them share of quest they participated in but they had to log out early and so on).

taka, Miracle Dragon, Arianna and 7 others like this.
  9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I agree with this statement. :)

SeleneNoctua likes this.
  10. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

I support the original request. More information I can add to my friend list. This is grouping them in custom groups and adding notes / reminder about where I met them and what I think about them.
    I definitely don't want automatic NSA status info. If I am the evil pk of doom I don't want my enemies to track me. :)

NaomiLin likes this.
  11. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I was about to post an idea and then came across this post which is very related.

I have a friend list but I have no idea who I hung out with for days having a lot of fun and who I met once and never head from again so I'm not sure how to react when I see certain people (I have a bad memory). Another piece of functionality might be to assign a number/rank to your friends that ONLY you could see. That way I know whether someone is actually a good friend of your or whether they're a noob you met once and didn't see again for 8 months.

It would have to be done in a good way that was not public because I'd hate for this to turn into a MySpace friends ranking but if we could at least assign "good friend" or "acquaintance" much like guild rankings it would definitely help me keep track of who I know and who I don't know... I mean, who is this Themo Lock character who keeps hassling me...??? ;)

As a side note, if something like this could be done in a nice way that benefited everyone, it might also help to solve Amber Raine's social XP issue.

NaomiLin and Miracle Dragon like this.
  12. Blaze Barkley (RedDeer)

Blaze Barkley (RedDeer) Avatar

I know what you mean. I have bad memory too :)

I have an easier solution that gives you more flexibility and is super easy to implement. Some of you who used Second Life might know what I'm talking about: personal notes. Basically you have a text box for taking notes on each user. The notes can be stored in plain text files on client side so it wouldn't take any space on the server. This is how I imagine it:

1. Right click player or a nickname on your friendlist
    2. Choose personal notes option
    3. Window with textbox opens up.
    4. If no personal notes for this player exist, then the textbox is empty
    5. If you already entered some notes before, then they are displayed in the textbox
    6. You're free to edit the notes
    7. Upon closing the window the game checks if the textbox is empty. Empty box = delete personal notes file for this player from your PC (if the file exists). Non-empty = save personal notes for this player on your PC

It's trivial to implement, no need for defining ranks or anything. Just a basic GUI window with plain textbox and basic file I/O functionality.

It still helps me in SL and I guess it would help in any MMO game :)

13. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I guess that when the code is ready to edit book texts inside the game client, without relying on external txt files, the same code could be used with great results for things like notes on avatars.

In EVE, you can add a limited-size personal note text on any other char of the game. And add labels to all your personal contacts, so to keep tabs on why you added them to your contact list, or to group them by subject (like "all the supercapital pilots", or "all the chars of my nationality", or "all the chars that killed me at least once in the past", etc.).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.