Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Game crash, BSOD

Discussion in 'Release 32 Bug Forum' started by steorrawulf, Jul 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steorrawulf

steorrawulf Avatar

1 Game crash, blue screen of death
    2 100%
    3 Blocker? yes
    4 Details:
    Last Thursday, 7/28, I was updating the game (I haven't updated or played for over a month). I received a popup that said my Nvidia GTX was not a removable device. The launcher seemed stuck as it hadn't made progress for over an hour. I restarted the launcher and all updates were downloaded. I did not play, I just wanted it ready for today, 7/30. After that I updated my Nvidia drivers (I did a full install as the update failed). Today I launched the game, it updated a bit more. The game came up, I watched the intro, and I logged in. I entered my character name and accidentally skipped the character creation again. While I was swearing, I clicked through a dialog that I think again said I can't remove the Nvidia device, and another that said Shroud of the Avatar crashed. I think the last screen said 0% Isle of Storms, or something of that nature. I launched the game again and got an immediate blue screen. After my computer rebooted, I launched the game again, entered my login, and got another blue screen. I then tried uninstalling everything Nvidia, rebooted, launched the game again, got to the login screen and the game hung. I couldn't kill it from task manager and my computer was barely responsive, so I rebooted again. I reinstalled the Nvidia stuff, rebooted, and tried the game one last time. Entered my login information, and blue screen.
    I do have a crash dump from the game. I'm not sure how to attach that here.
    I'm hoping this is related to the crash problems with Unity because I have no idea what to try next. Thanks for all of your help and hard work. I just can't wait to play!
    5 Steps to Reproduce:
    Launch game, log in.
    6 Specs:
    Alienware 17
    Intel i7-4700MQ CPU 2.4 GHz
    16 GB RAM
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 765M, version 368.81

RDouglas likes this.
  2. RDouglas

RDouglas Avatar

Thank you so much, after reading your post I figured out what my pc is doing /problem... see my account has unity like yours and I had major crashing with windows 10 on reg pc. Tried it on Husband's alien, works fine.... no unity on it! So thinking to get mine to work am dumping unity, worth a try. Hope you get yours fixed, but we are figuring out that it is a unity thing causing it.

3. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Submitting to our team for review. Thank you for reporting!

4. Attenwood

Please send the crash dump to rromero@portalarium.com

5. steorrawulf

steorrawulf Avatar

I have sent the files.
    I am installing progressively earlier video drivers to see if I can find one that works, but it's a really slow process. In the meantime, I'm installing SotA on a second computer so I don't miss my housing lot window. But if I miss it, it really isn't the end of the world. Well, unless I get stuck in a desert biome :).
    @RDouglas, It's nice to know someone had a similar problem. For a bit I was freaking out that I would need a new video card (I still hope that is not the case), but I don't have any other video problems. I don't understand how you removed Unity from your computer. I didn't know that was an option.

RDouglas likes this.
  6. RDouglas

RDouglas Avatar

Thank you for keeping me in the loop/will post if and when updates occur and crash stops/salute

7. Attenwood

Thank you. Please keep us apprised of any changes from your own testing.

8. steorrawulf

steorrawulf Avatar

I have been using my other computer to play SotA since this happened. Since there have been several releases and a number of graphics driver updates in the mean time, I thought I would try playing again on this computer. I did not have any difficulty updating or playing the game. :):):)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.