Game storyline and "open multiplayer online"

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Lucas, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucas

Lucas Avatar

Greetings,

Although I've registered on this website the day it opened, only today I finally decided to pledge. Looks like I'm n. 24,700 :cool:
    ---

So, my question: ok, if you decide to play the first episode in the "solo offline" environment, it's basically a single-player CRPG, where you develop your character, progress with the story while interacting with various NPCs and so on and so forth.

But what does it happen to the main story in the "open multiplayer online environment" ? It's basically like SWTOR (Star Wars: The Old Republic) and other MMOGs, where you can follow your "hero storyline" while playing in a MMO environment?

From a roleplaying point of view, I guess you could "ignore" the events of the storyline while you interact with the sandbox environment, so you are not just "another hero". But it's going to be interesting to understand how exploration will go on if you decide to totally ignore the storyline: although there are no levels, I guess there will be more perilous areas that we should access only when some of our combat skills are more developed. Also, I hope that all map areas will be unlocked from the start, and will not require that you advance with the storyline before being able to access them.

Thoughts or ideas on this? Do we already know more about these particular aspects?

dragon8u likes this.
  2. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

They've actually given pretty much no information that I've seen on the main storyline, and how it works with the online portion of the game. And with the focus on all the MMO (sorry, "selective multiplayer") elements, I am worried that it could end up being a glorified chain quest. With the writers and developers they have I am hoping that is not the case. I know they have a really good set of people.

I really hope they show more soon in this area though. There has been too much focus on the multiplayer stuff and not enough on the RPG part IMO.

Carlin the Archer and Phredicon like this.
  3. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

Just because the players on the forums are focused on discussing PvP and MMO elements, naturally because a forum is social and so is an MMO, doesn't mean the Devs aren't focused or working on Single Player.

This is after all a Single Player game WITH MMO elements. As was stated, with Tracy Hickman on board, I wouldn't expect "chain questing". I've read a few of his books plus RG, I am looking forward to it.

As how OPO storyline will work, I'm guessing certain towns will need liberating, areas will need to be unlocked by community efforts and the story will evolve.

Patience is a virtue.

Myrcella likes this.
  4. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

RG doesn't want to make the story line about how every player is a sword-wielding hero. I recall him saying that he wanted to make the story line in such a way that it could 'feel' out your play style and work around you. He appears very sensitive to player individuality.

Père Fouettard, rild and Myrcella like this.
  5. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I personaly think we will all have a responsibility not to ruin other players solo experience if they decide to play it with the online mode.
    If they will pass my vendors with me outside i myself will watch out what i tell or not.
    And i hope we won´t be able to sell items that will shorten or ruin the solo player experience.
    Like hunting special items, like dungeon access key for example , that will not make it necessary for some players to finish a important part of the story line, but will lead to jumping it.

rild likes this.
  6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Tbh, the concept isn't radically different from most MMOs on the market. There's some main quest line. This can be ignored or done at your own pace. Anything can be done with other players or not.

7. rild

rild Avatar

I just heard that elder scrolls online is doing something similar to selective multiplayer. Only one setting tho from the sound of it, but would work like OPO in Shroud

8. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

I'm also worried about the storyline - it was the story that got me into the Ultima games so many years ago - Ultima 6 and 7 had very strong stories.

With MMO the story takes second place. I really REALLY hope the offline single player story is compelling and worthy of Lord British's legendary past.

Jambo likes this.
  9. Père Fouettard

Père Fouettard Avatar

I was assuming this is why they haven't gotten more interractive with the community about PvP and OPO yet... gotta make the awesome single player Ultima first!

10. Sunsanvil

Sunsanvil Avatar

I have to admit, I'm here mainly for the solo play in the hopes that this will be Ultima-by-another-name running on a updated 3D graphics engine (I allways said if you rereleased Ultima 6 or 7 with 1920 x 1080 graphics you'd have fresh hit).

I may end up incredibly disapointed, but one has to think positive.... :)

11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I hope that is true for the most part. I would like to be able to go anywhere I want HOWEVER.... and this is a big however.... The storyline should trump our sandbox whenever it comes to our social interaction and deeds.

If you killed somebody in the town the people in the town should be upset with you. Also even if you're not playing the story line if somebody (an NPC) asks you if you came from Earth and you say yes... then if you are no longer permitted in that town because you said that, then you should suffer that consequence even if you aren't playing the story directly.

The Story is tied into the world we are going to. So even if you don't care about quests or not you should be subject to the world's systems and consquences for breaking the rules or offending the locals.

rild and Atlaua like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.