Gaming Bolt: SotA Hands On Impressions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logain

Logain Avatar

Is that not the case currently?
    If you doubleclick on a crafting table, the recipe book opens automatically. Available educt are marked, same as missing ones. Doubleclicking on the recipe puts everything required on the table and highlights the 'craft' button and clicking that the 'take all' button.

Opening the Deck-Layout automatically opens up the available skill list. You choose the option of locked/non locked mode and drag and drop the skills you want in the quantity you want, or the position you want. Click on done and that's it, you have a deck to use.

Neither of the two seems to require anything only remotely close to operating on a command line, but rather intuitive drag&drop /double-clicking just like your normal 'modern' Windows interface. Then again, I might be biased because I'm one of these odd people that take the five minutes to read an instructions file.

Spoon likes this.
  2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Though i don't agree with everything he says, Joviex does make some valid points. More people would likely agree with him if not for his tendency to assume everybody that doesn't agree with him is an idiot that can't read and his fondness for quoting people using overly aggressive, angry sounding posts . XD

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I guess this is one way to dismiss what a person has to say.

Lord Baldrith, Joviex and Tahru like this.
  4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

How is that dismissive in any way? I pointed out that somebody i just had a disagreement with has valid points that may have been overlooked due to the tone and wording of his posts.

5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It was a backhanded compliment.

6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Then i apologise for misunderstanding XD

7. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Seems like a fair review by someone who spent an afternoon in-game, knowing its in development, and although appears to be underwhelmed, sees potential. Unfortunately I don't think this is an uncommon perspective, and it's going to take more than the community to change these opinions. Here's hoping this is a great year for SotA development. :)

8. Kuvu

Kuvu Avatar

Most of what i am seeing is a Pre-Alpha issue and its like the people posting reviews about it are expecting a semi completed game which it is not. Honestly i wouldn't worry to much about reviews at this stage of the game. People are just buying into it right now after the steam release. Things really have to get better, we really don't have that much room to fall back considering on what we have right now.

9. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

my career as a tester STARTED with Ultima Online and I have tested many many games since then, I am full aware of how testing works and I am also full aware that these forums MAIN purpose is to give feedback wether it be good or bad on the game, the posts I posts here are feedback, wether you like them or not is a mute point, You are here to debate the feedback and allow devs to see our debates and commentaries and make educated decisions based on our feedback. being a Fanboy and claiming "its pre-alpha I guess testing isnt for you". is not doing the devs or the game any good. if you want to discuss the issues I brought up the discuss them but dont try to dismiss them by trying to dismiss me or any other tester who disagrees with your philosophy of "oh its ok....its beta" a mantra most of us honest testers really hate seeing.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I'm also one of those odd people. But I do recognize that I am in minority and that most users wouldn't test all the possiblities I would test before giving up.
    Heck I talk to players daily who are asking where the manual is, and I ask if they have tried clicking the help button in the top right corner. Most have not.

Then Crafting has plenty of bugs that if not recognized as bugs will be chalked up to UI, plus Crafting is just a place holder right now so no big work has been put in yet on the final UI parts.
    For instance
    -Recipe book, double clicking the text of the recipe doesn't always work, instead you need to double click the icon.
    -If you have clicked the [Craft] button, then the focus is not on the recipe book, so you sometimes need a triple click instead of a double
    -in heavy load areas, you double click the recipe icon, the ingredients are moved and first red in the list, slooooowly they go from red to white, but even after all ingredients are white the [Craft] button doesnt light up, you have to wait even longer for that to happen. Impatient people will have started clicking something else by then.
    -experimenting with new recipes not in your book, is not easy to deduce given the current UI, just breaking out a single resource from a pile is unecessarily difficult, there is no link between yor inventory and the table etc
    -nowhere in the UI does it let you know that you can purchase recipes, or experiment to find new ones, you need to read the instructions to get that (or talk to someone who knows)
    - lack of tooltips on most of the parts of the process
    -since the inventory is not linked to crafting table, it does not auto-tab to the "crafting", so you could try dragging all kinds of impossible things onto the table

etc I could go on but this is not the feedback forum. So while I agree with your sentiment I think the UI has a lot of improvement possibilities, specially for new users.

One Zero, Joviex, Tahru and 2 others like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

That's great spoon and so very true. It's so easy to forget that we need to help find the bugs in this game. If all people say hey it's boring and stop playing then imagine all the bugs that will be missed. When I did the dungeon 'chillblains compendium of pain', wow it was crazy fun with
    disconnects and lag and all kinds of sh...t, but we had such a very good time. I can speak for myself I guess, I had a very good time. Through it all I saw so much of the possibility of the game. Thanks again for your comments they truly reminded me of why we are
    here. One for fun, one for testing. ;) Fun is always what you make it anyway. ***cheers***

12. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

Then im really in the minority. For i do like the progression in the game. i hear pre alpha thrown out as an excuse why things arnt where some people belive they should be. imo while i fell that is an excusse their is some truth to it. i really dont think we should have people writing reviews of a game in pre alpha status. why cause its incomplete some of the things he said while are true on paper it's really not in reality the whole truth. imho only 25 percent of the game is online if not less and of what is online now is incomplete. by incomplete i mean the testing phase and balancing of such systems hasnt run its course. by allowing reviewers in at this time to point out mistakes and incomplete status of the game i think hurts us in the long run. why cause in 6 months from now when people look at the game they will remember the last post they read and go naa ill wait till later.

now i think it would be just as bad if we put our head in the sand and said everything was just great and everything worked as inteneded. its not but that is why we are here. were to test this game at an early level to create data so the game has less problems in the end. no one likes the endless nurphs that games have after initial release cause some aspect of the game was easily exploited.

were a small comunity of dedicatedl players. most of us have fond memories of uo. I truly belive that this game will trounce uo in time but that is the key. to me that artical was poorly written by a person who obviously lacks knoldge of many things. that dosnt mean what he said has any less truth or not just means it was a half assed artical written by someone who i feel wrote the artical cause he had too.

Kaisa, Spoon and Keira OFaolain like this.
  13. Alpha Protocol

Alpha Protocol Avatar

"Gaming Journalism" a top 10 oxymoron.

Tahru, Joviex and enderandrew like this.
  14. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

sorry but there are several factors here I disagree with, wether or not this game will trounce UO in time? UO was never that big to begin with, it only had what about 500k players in its heyday? and even with those tiny numbers in the world of online gaming I am hard pressed to believe this game will reach those numbers, I could be wrong but if it remains with the system it is now I doubt it, and btw people who always throw out the mantra its pre-alpha its alpha its beta etc are the people you really dont want to be paying attention to because these are the people that will never speak up about how they really feel about the direction the game is taking, but would prefer to turn a blind eye and chant beta beta beta, and then one day the game goes live and suddenly those ppl no longer have the mantra to hide behind and guess what they do. they quit because it isnt the game they wanted it to be. sad part is if they had stopped and spoken up about the things that bothered them back when changes could be made, the game may have been a different place entirely

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

16. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Maybe people would be less dismissive of your career as a tester if you logged in more than once a month to get a hat and actually tried the features (which you say you have no idea how to even start) that most people are happily playing with on day one.

sammakonkorvat, Logain and Tahru like this.
  17. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

shrug like I said I am not feeling this game. period, cant test something I have absolutely no feeling of immersiveness in. I log in I walk around the overland map get popped into an encounter run around till I find the zone out get popped out takes like 20 seconds between loads and then get popped into another encounter rinse and repeat, sorry I am just not feeling it. there is no world to explore no world to live in just little pockets of joy here and there. it really doesnt feel very immersive to me, I am not LIVING in a world I am living in a bunch of pockets.

and as far as the combat? yeah I tested it and tried it and the deck thing? yeah I tried it. do I think they are good ideas for a MMORPG to have? no I dont. but you dont see me really discussing that stuff because I havent really tested them enough but as far as the overland map? yeah I tested it and I dont think its a good idea at all.

yeah we have a few ppl doodling around in this game we have 100k accounts but out of those 100k accounts how many people that have tried it have actually remained actively interested on a daily or weekly basis? 1000? 5000 50000? only Portalarium can know that. and that is what matters here, is wether or not its gonna be able to retain a satisfactory amount of players. and the only people that can know what number is satisfactory to portalarium is portalarium

Tahru likes this.
  18. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I have no problem with people having an opinion, so thank you for explaining. The previous post reads like an attack on forum members which why I posted a -1.

19. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Then why have a rage explosion over somebody saying that testing this game is not for you? When in your own words it isn't. You ignored every single persons opinion which does not match yours with the word "fanboy" and set about doing all the counter productive things you claim those that are enjoying themselves do. You can get your point across without drawing your virtual sword.

Logain likes this.
  20. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

nah no personal attack on anyone but rather an attack on chanting beta in order to excuse something that could possibly be a fundamental flaw in the design, it is not a good idea to just chant beta whenever someone brings up something they feel is wrong, it doesnt help solve the issue of bringing it to the attention of the people that matter

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.