Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Gate/Portcullis

Discussion in 'Release 61 Feedback' started by Barugon, Dec 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What is the purpose, where gameplay is concerned, of having these closed?

[​IMG]

2. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Would be good if you could leave it open all the time

Or sell the piece without the grate

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

It would probably make some sense if they closed at night and were open in the day. Not that you can't open them yourself; of course, although you're passing by guards. Could make sense if they build more robust thievery in the game or guards react to PvP, because the gates will slow down players and give guards a chance to catch them. Or simply, it could slown down players chasing other players for bounties in PvP.

Lord Trady of Blix and Jaesun like this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Thinking about it, even if it were closed some times for certain reasons (like at night) you could have the attending guards automatically open the gate for approaching players unless they were flagged as criminals or PvP. Or for instance, there could also be a requirement that you talked to one of the guards at least once (as there are quests involved by greeting the first guard).

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

In this game, there's absolutely no reason to have them closed. I'm not talking about the gates that you can place in your lot. The gate pictured above is one of the gates separating the upper part of Owl's head from the lower part.

Elwyn likes this.
  6. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Immersion - the elites are keeping the peasants out. :p

7. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Indeed, they should at least be open during the day. I remember not liking that I always had to stop there when the only major town we had was Owlshead.

Duke Olahorand and Elwyn like this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Nah it's not really immersive at all that the gate is always closed and the guards just let you open the gate on your own no matter what.

It's something that could make sense immersion wise and with some thought behind it, like I mentioned.

At the very least, when its closed, the attendant guards can open when you approach. And it makes relatively little sense for the inner gate to be closed during the day.

There is actually a very good reason for the palace gates in Ardoris to be closed until you speak to the guards, and the devs could do something like that here to some degree if they felt it was worthwhile to whatever degree (even as a one time thing)

There could be a good reason with later gameplay additions; like I mentioned, with PvP and criminality.

Right now, no it's not even immersive.

(Lol you guys just because something in the game makes no sense doesn't mean the reason it's there is immersion. It's usually the opposite)

Duke Olahorand, Jaesun and Barugon like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes and with guards there 24/7, there's no reason to have the gates closed at all. Having them closed adds nothing to the game.

Duke Olahorand and Feeyo like this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't agree with that much. Guards will stand by locked gates in real life, and night hours leads to heightened security.

I would agree that right now, with current game mechanics, there's very little reason though for the guards not to just let everyone through, ie open the gate for everyone. It could be something more modulated in the future though

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

Have ANY of your suggestions over the years ever been implemented ? We'd have a much better game if some had been. This is another good one.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Except this isn't real life; it's a game and having the gates closed doesn't add anything to the game.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Hey, we were talking about whether it made sense from a real life POV, and you said you thought it didn't because the guards were there, and I there I only disagreed with you.

As for the gameplay, I agreed also currently it doesn't add anything, but it could make sense w/ future gameplay additions. I also offered a suggestion on how in current gameplay it could be little more than an environmental thing which is non-instrusive.

I don't really agree with your view that life-like things don't add to gameplay, since this is a role-playing game and I think that's part of the point. But the devs have to actually make it something that works with the game instead of against it.

Currently, yeah again it doesn't work or add much.

14. Floors

Floors Avatar

Wow, people on the SoTa forums don't agree with each other. Who would have suspected ? :)

I think having more gate realism would be good. But you know, it's a drop in the bucket of the million things that could be improved over this year. I hope that we see some of those things happen.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I previously said nothing about real life. I was always talking about this game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.