Gatherer Overland Encounter Idea

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by bwtdozer, Jan 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwtdozer

bwtdozer Avatar

tl:dr We need random resource gathering encounters to pop on the overworld map so those that enjoy being more of a gatherer have a place to go.

So I've seen a few post on the forums over the past couple years that being a pure gatherer in SOTA is near impossible. As someone who likes to spend a lot of time crafting and gathering in MMOs I have been disappointed that in SOTA there is a basically a need to also strongly concentrate on leveling combat, when sometimes all I want to do is go gatherer some mats to craft. When I go resource gathering I end up with my bags filled more with loot from mobs then resources. (I know I don't have to take the loot, but I had to kill those four bandits just to chop down that one tree, so I'm not going to leave the loot that would earn me some hard to come by gold.) I understand the need to balance nodes so there is some danger and to prevent the market from becoming flooded by resources. What is needed is a few locations that gatherers can seek out to actually do what they enjoy....gather resources and not have to be super focused on raising their combat.

So with that said here's my idea:

Gathering Overland Random encounters

These would appear randomly on the overland map just like the bandits, skeletons, wolves, etc. They would be either forced multiplayer, less resources if accessed in single player/friends, or resource shared across all modes. They could show up on the overland as a lumberjack chopping at the trees, a small field with a farmer working the land, and a small mine with a miner picking away at it.

If you enter the lumberjack encounter you will encounter a logging camp filled with loggable trees (20 or so that have the chance to respawn after a few minutes). If you enter the miner encounter you are taken to a mine scene with ore nodes (20 or so that respawn elsewhere in the scene after a couple of minutes). If you enter the farmer encounter you go to a field seen with cotton bushes and/or reagent plants (20 or so that have the chance to respawn after a few minutes). These encounters will be of the appropriate level for where they spawn and resources for the region its in. ie If a lumberjack pops up in a 5 skull woods on the map in a maple tree region then the encounter will be a 5 skull tier scene with mostly maple trees and a few pine trees.

I can hear you all now. But someone can go to these scenes and just gather indefinitely flooding the market if these nodes respawn. Well there is catch. When the first person enters the encounter a 15 minute timer starts for the gatherers to collect resources in the scene. The timer can be behind the scenes with scene wide messages displayed every five minutes, when one minute is left, and a countdown from 10 secs left with an update of how much time is left to gather in the scene. When the timer is up any nodes not being currently gathered despawn and no more resource nodes will be available from that encounter.

I can also hear you say but where's the challenge. Well that's kind of the point. (Semi-)Pure gatherers just want to gather so they sell or craft. They want ways to avoid combat to get the resources ie sneaking by mobs, finding unprotected nodes etc. Something that happens to infrequently for a gatherers taste. But as far as challenge goes, when the timer has gone for five minutes a group of mobs will spawn (bandits, skeletons, wolves, bears, etc) of the appropriate level for the scene and wander around the area. Every five minutes a new group of mobs is spawned but with more mobs per each group. This way the gatherer either needs to sneak around or kill the mobs to continue to gather. If an entire group of mobs is killed before the timer is up then five minutes is added to the timer to allow for more gathering. This can be done to add an additional 15 minutes to the timer for a total of 30 minutes that the scene can be gathered from. Mobs will only spawn while the timer is active. So no endless mob spawns every five minutes to farm.

This could also help bolster multi-player play. The gatherer could pair up with a fighter or two to take care of the mobs while they gather. Those not interested in gathering could get a challenge from the mobs in the scene for the loot on the mobs. There could also be pvp versions where to enter the encounter you have to flag pvp but the resources gained are better (quantity, quality, rarity).

So thats my idea.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Not even reading into this topic, the title alone is all I need.

There are resources in the encounters, plenty of them.

That is all that is needed.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ahhh come on grouchy, it is just feedback and ideas lol;)

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And to the op, I have to commend you for your very well thought out ideas and creative thinking on this. For me I am not a fan of the system we are creating in this game, although I am spoiled and used to doing everything myself whenever I want, In my heart and soul I disagree that this was the right decision for this type of game. No one should be able to do all things. Perhaps a little of this and that but definitely not mastering everything. We should need to work order some things out. The stop to the do it all systems in this game would be to have caps so we need to make choices and decisions. I don't understand why we suffer with it, it hurts the economy and it hurts the game. We could then go to a bulletin board and put in a request for another person to gather supplies for us to complete a work order if we could get the function. *Sighs*

bwtdozer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.