Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Gear

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Isaiah, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Endlessly increasing tiers of gear was something I personally didn't like in WOW.

Clearly this isn't anything like world of warcraft at all as far as power and character potential etc. Although I wonder if the items we do have are potent enough to do anything useful that is worth the gold to buy.

Unless we are traveling in parties all the time it isn't easy to accumulate any kind of wealth. I'm barely breaking even with reagents etc. If I didn't have founder gear I wouldn't have anything to wear. Crafting takes a lot of effort too.

So when I see a ring that says +1 to firemagic I wonder if that is worth the price. Is that plus one going to help me at all?

The original UO item naming system used terms like durable, supremely accurate mace of power to indicate its potential. There was a percentage bonus to durability accuracy and damage but it was hidden to the player. Perhaps even those names were more relevant to us because we didn't see any numbers we just knew it was pretty darn good mace.

Since I'm not a mathematician 1% might actually be valuable however it doesn't appear to be wjen I look at it and I don't feelblike spending any gold on anything I see on vendors.

If these items are useful and worth our time at their current power maybe some other naming system could be used to identify the level of power it grants rather than giving us a percentage? Although if these really don't do much at all then we might need more powerful gear. +1 means something with a d20, but it is irrelevant with a d100. Maybe I just don't know how the math is applied and to what it is referring to.

Anybody got an explanation of how a +1 sun magic ring helps us? Is it skill +1 or is it skill times 1% plus skill? Or is it 1% of attunment plus attunment? What does attunment do anyway?

2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Interesting question.
    Didn't do the math so far or any testing.
    But I can tell you that my selfmade maple long bow with cotton string is already a great improvement over my founder bow.

About the Rings i have no clue to be honest. Didn't try one since they started to appear.

OmniFusion1 likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

Although...

I remember the old school days where magic items had an asterisk (*) by them and you had to have a mage to identify the item before you knew what it did. That way you could even risk using a cursed item.

OmniFusion1 and Jarl Atogrim like this.
  4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Good old times but I hope we are past that ;-)

Roycestein Kaelstrom and redfish like this.
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I suppose there is a trade off. It is good to know what it does but the main point of the post is to understand what it does.

Item ID skills aside, it sure would be nice to have a general idea of what the power rating of the item is and what it effects. Im writing this incase i don't understand the math perhaps a power rating based upon a name is easier to understand.

For example if I ping www.shroudoftheavatar.com I'll get a reply. If I ping the IP address I will get a reply. Both are the same server... I understand and remember shroudoftheavatar.com much easier than a number. At least in this case I do.

However if I have 12 apples I would much rather use the number 12 instead of dozen. Theres a bakers dozen and well it is not useful to me, maybe it was useful in times past but now 12 is plenty understandable.

Understanding the item is the point. Although I suppose there is value in knowing both if someone wants to.

6. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

ring +1 in sun means it adds 1 in attunement which is very important because it increases the effectivness of all spells in that tree and you will be less vulnerable from spells of that tree. There is no more downside on attunement ... so yes that kind of item is valuable but not too hard to make.

Steve D. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.