Geek's Guide to the Galaxy #105 - Richard Garriott Interview

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Mar 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

Geek's Guide to the Galaxy just published their interview with Richard Garriott. Check it out!

2. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Richard says the Oracle is akin to Aleister Crowley (41:45).

Lord Baldrith, smack and Time Lord like this.
  3. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Anyone up for typing up a summary for those of us with unfortunate internet?

Time Lord and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

I think they're going to publish an accompanying article on their Wired website tomorrow. Looks like they posted the Podcast on YouTube a day early. If that doesn't have enough good quotes on SotA, I can try and do a transcription of those parts.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That was a very cool interview.

At one point Richard mentioned the implications of new media and how some publishers and media companies would be sorry they missed out on things like podcasts. He also mentioned that they've learned a lot about Kickstarter and how they could've done it better/how it was important to be interactive with the community.

My advice: Take these two things (above) and apply them to the future marketing of SotA. Think about the "agile development" model you're already using, maybe get a few people (like Rustic Dragon) to just run a constant telethon-like event that is interactive and has weekly, monthly, and yearly goals for funding (go crazy and do it daily!). Use podcasting, videos, etc...to keep the community engaged (more than you're currently doing). Make it a full time job. It seems like a natural progression of crowdsourcing to me.

Miracle Dragon, Time Lord and Retro like this.
  6. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I too believe Richard is doing the devil's work and converting children to devil worship. I bought my 5 year old son a SotA account and a plush pentagram to get started.

7. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Good interview though...nothing spectacular ...he did do the same ole' "Ive been doing this forever" and "you need to pick good or bad" rigamarole he does in every interview but I liked hearing about Felicia Day and the whole story about his sister-in-law. I would be all about having Port gift Felicia Day a castle or something as long as she told her thousands of fans to come join her in game. Plus,if that happened, I could have an in game marriage to her just like I know she dreams of. It's going to be great. Everyone is invited as long as they bring a present addressed to me.

Time Lord and DimwitTheWise like this.
  8. smack

smack Avatar

9. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

This is probably the most interesting and personal interview I've ever heard from Richard. The written version...not so much.

Time Lord and Retro like this.
  10. smack

smack Avatar

Myrcello and docdoom77 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.