Gems...?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by ConjurerDragon, Jan 30, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

I read this spreadsheet someone linked
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/266759303665418241/474753799039352844/Zjj1sP0.png
    and found it sounds nice to have something of those effects.

So I alchmistically glued lots of fragments together, alchemisted them into gems and at the same table socketed oen in my leather chest armour and one in my Iron Spear.

However both show in their description only a +10 atoonment to water or air, but nothing of the promises of that spreadsheet...

Could someone tell me how I went wrong this time? :rolleyes:

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Those are masterworks enchantments you can get with those gems in-place.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  3. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

So - nothing lost yet and I could try to masterwork the items with the gems already socked?

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Oops, I meant enchanments, not masterworks.

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yes. Masterworks don't have anything tied to them that looks at what is socketed into the item. Only Enchanting does.

7. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

It would be nice if there was an in-game tutorial on these mechanics that supplied you with sample items to walk the pc through the process.

8. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

o.k. I have now ENCHANTED my ALCA of Tapestry. 2 failures and 3 successful attempts.
    As far as I remember I read that the rule of 3 is valid here too. When I click the Enchant button on the left of the Alchemy workbench, why then does the game auto-select the ALCA another time instead of my ISoT? Does the game want me to lure into auto-failing more times?

Edit: Even if I have the Iron Spear of Theorgy already on the table - clicking the ENCHANT button on the left replaces it with the ALCAoT...

9. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

It auto-selects the first available item in the inventory alphabetically. I have a copper sword that is always selected, for example. Filtering will override that selection. Then it is ordered by the plus value, if you have multiple items of the same type.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    Anpu likes this.
  10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

They ever enable gem-influenced enchantments on bows?

FBohler likes this.
  11. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Have patience!! You are about to enter the twilight zone. You will have so many questions it's probably best to go to something like you tube and search there for a video on enchanting, masterworking, gem socketing and etc. Have faith that the rng is working. No one else has been able to resist going mad and stomping and throwing things. For sure you will use all your consumables and cash eventually. But hang in there, over time you will be able to create a pretty fantastic outfit. Consider not adding a gem to your gear till you finish masterworking and enchanting because you will lose it if the item you make is junk. You cannot salvage back the gem(s).

FBohler and Time Lord like this.
  12. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Well, the positive side is that I got two items masterworked and enchanted and socketed and gained +15 skill levels doing so.

I got a slight naming problem, though. My once very durable Iron Spear +2 has transformed into the Toothpick of Airpower (the effects look nice when I get the 10% chance of Gust of Wind and the 10% of electrocuting the enemy) and the Augmented Leather Armour is down to a durability of 10/10 :eek: ... All options reduced the durability by 10 - except that one option where I read only the positive part that reduced durability by 40... Then the failed attempts... :oops:

Next time I go Masterwork, Enchant and then socket and that with the higher skilllevel should be somewhat less brittle.

+20% to range of Soothing Rain is not really much. Wonder how one would get a whole party under that rain to be actually helpful.
    6 range + 20% = 7.2 range? I mean Banishing Undead has a range of *20*. If I could extend the range of the rain to that of the banishing that would be noticeble.... Or to the range of the water arrow of 30 [drool].... :cool:

FBohler, Anpu and Time Lord like this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I don't think skill level affects durability loss. (Actually, I'm almost positive it doesn't, I'm just hedging my bets.) Unless you mean "at higher skill levels, I will have less failures, and therefore will lose less durability."

ConjurerDragon and FBohler like this.
  14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The "proc" effect enchanting masterworks on items with a specific gem, are basically utterly ridiculous to have a minus FOURTY durability hit, for these proc effect skills to have a 10% chance to happen and do barely...... anything.

Like for example socketed weapons with a Gaiasm Gem, Tremor proc effect (which in turn can effect the Tremor effect by wearing a necklace and rings that have the Tremor Power effect on them) does barely little damage, to warrant a minus FOURTY durability hit.... at least so far from my own observations. Around 20-40 damage..... at a hit of -40 durability? Seriously?

FBohler, ConjurerDragon and Rinaldi like this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is why I never socket before enchanting.

FBohler, Rinaldi and Anpu like this.
  16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yikes. I suppose I might have known that if gem procs were working on bows last time I made one. I guess I'm at least glad to know I'm not really missing out on much...

FBohler, Anpu and Barugon like this.
  17. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You CAN place Gems and/or Imbued Gems on player crafted bows, but the "proc" Enchantment effect for Gems, are not in any way worth that - FOURTY durability hit. Adding 2 Imbued Gem of Disabling Shot to a Long Bow.... might be interesting (+20% Disabling Shot Damage, per gem).

18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Have you actually made a bow with a gem and gotten one of the proc results? Historically, this was not working. I don't recall exactly why, but the proc results were not in the table for bows and crossbows. The issue existed when I started playing and is (or maybe was) a long standing bug/issue. Not saying you're wrong, just that maybe I missed it in the release notes if/when it was finally fixed.

Granted, as you said, it's probably not worth the durability hit, but I'd still want to try it out for funsies.

Anpu likes this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Because ranged only qualifies for nerfs, not boosts.

FBohler likes this.
  20. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

THAT I never did actually try. You CAN add regular gems to ranged weapons though... though I didn't check the enchants that are in the table for those when socketed... could actually easily test that on QA (with my level 199 character).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.