Gold Crowns and Crafting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dreamlarp, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

No, it doesn't. It's a grind to get materials, its a grind to make items, and its a grind to get silver to masterwork a crap ton of them that you will never be able to recover, just to raise the skill. Thats not special, its horrible.

Sure, some people have done it. And they either had a guild throwing them materials, or take some perverse pleasure in the self-mutilation that the current crafting system is.

I've already invested three weeks into making a crafter, instead of an adventurer, and I'm tempted to quit. I could sell all my resources and earn enough to buy what others make. I really WANT to like this, as I love crafting in other games and its part of the character I want to play, but Masterworking SUCKS.

Lord Baldrith and Ice Queen like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You're not supposed to be getting all that yourself. You're supposed to be using other players. Of course I'm speaking about SPO and MP (not single player offline).

The grind you are talking about is self made when it comes to crafting. Don't gather all that stuff, buy it from players. Don't level all the skills, focus on one.

Crafting is supposed to be a collective task, not a one man band.

3. Browncoat Jayson

I've already said, HOW CAN I AFFORD TO BUY IT FROM OTHER PLAYERS? In order to learn Masterworking, I get to DESTROY everything I make. Fun. Where am I earning this money? Because noone is buying anything that ISNT Masterworked.

So, I guess the real way to be a crafter is to either join a guild and ask them to supply you, or get a bunch of friends whose time you can waste by destroying what they gather for you. Excellent. I'll get right on that. /sarcasm

Lord Baldrith and Ice Queen like this.
  4. Aimend

Aimend Avatar

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Crafted gear needs to break permanently in order for there to be an economy for crafters. People are only buying masterworked gear so early on because they can afford to.

Being able to repair things like this...and the extra slow decay process of items means there is no economy in basic gear for crafters.

.....but everyone wanted to fight against that...

All of these issues being discussed are part of a much bigger crafting problem that COTOs hurt more than help.

Arthur Ironfist likes this.
  5. Browncoat Jayson

The whole idea of tiers of gear is non-existant right now. Why do we even start our with Short Bows, Daggers and Cloth Armor? Noone uses them. Most crafters don't even create them; they just salvage train their proficiency up so they can make base items that can be masterworked. The crafting economy is so broken at the moment.

Lord Baldrith, Ice Queen and Aimend like this.
  6. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I'm level 68 and have yet to see a coin drop from any creature, from skinning, foraging, forestry, or mining in level 5 areas.

Lord Baldrith and Aimend like this.
  7. Ordovicia

Ordovicia Avatar

I also have played a fair amount and am in level 5 zones, not a single coin drop either. Might be to early to say if that is good or bad though.

Ice Queen likes this.
  8. ridicOne

ridicOne Avatar

Well I don't know percentage chances of drop rate or actual crafting success but if you could hone in the numbers properly, you could use COTO's to not say give you no failure rate but they could be used so the item being enchanted doesn't get destroyed. Now in doing so you'll prolly have to decrease success rate overall while using them to make it somewhat a fair game with people actually gathering resources.

9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It's not supposed to be easy to start a business.

This is MASTER-work. It's not EASY work.

You can't expect to start and operate a business successfully just because you have a crafting skill. There's more to it than that. A lot more. Although I don't think people should have to get an MBA to play this game (it doesn't hurt to have one).

This is a good place to start though...

and here...

and here...

10. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

Not to derail or anything, but I use Daggers. I am running/building a dual dagger crit character (which I'm having stupid amounts of fun with). Daggers may not be the best on damage, but I do so love the 20% base crit, 6% crit when made from copper. And with masterwork, you get rend/coup de gras increases....yea, I'm cool with that. So, if you want to, hit me up on some daggers, I'll buy good ones (PM me if you really will, I'll give you specifics, and also help on mats).

11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Regarding COTO Drops:
    I've gotten 1 so far, total, since final wipe, and I'm out killing things for several hours a day.
    I'm not suggesting this drop be increased but I don't think we need more things that require them.
    The repairing of crafted gear is enough, please don't put masterworking behind a paywall.

As Drocis said, its masterwork, not easywork.
    I think you need to work for your levels, and I think that your level should be an indication of your success, not how much extra money you've spent.
    I think capping success for the first attempt at 95% should be changed to 100%, at the very least for GM, give some sense of accomplishment.
    This still doesn't guarantee you'll get the masterwork or enchants you want, but you may only have to make 4 of everything instead of 10 of everything to get the piece how you want it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.