Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Gold tougher than Experience

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Helseth, Aug 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helseth

Helseth Avatar

First I'd like to say that I am greatly enjoying the added challenge and overall feel of the game right now.

This may not be an issue for everyone, but I've found that I gain experience and level up far faster than I acquire gold.

Currently I'm level 26 and have 83 unassigned skill points because I can't afford to pay the trainer.

I started by buying only the cheapest skills, but eventually those capped and I had to start spending on more expensive ones.

Mainly I achieve gold by selling loot from mobs (usually undead), and by doing the mail quest. My routine typically involves starting in Ardoris, delivering mail to towns until I deliver back to Ardoris, then heading out to find some mobs and returning to Ardoris once I'm encumbered with loot. I sell up, grab some mail and repeat.

I just think this needs to be tweaked a bit. I know I currently gain double adventurer experience, but I still think that even without that buff I would be way ahead on experience versus gold.

2. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Mob loot is terrible now, can't afford the skills wanted or repair kits, lol.

3. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yep. Level 33, and 142 unallocated skill points.

I feel your pain. :)

4. Helseth

Helseth Avatar

...and I'm just a normal adventurer. A duke can't even afford it.

DancingShade, Atogrim and Duke Raas like this.
  5. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

They'll find a balance, it will take some tweaking to get the prices right on loot I'm sure. With the millions and millions some people were accumulating before, gold was worthless really, so they have to find a balance now.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  6. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I gots over 11k...gotta do a bit of harvesting and crafting to supplement your income...Weapon sales alone are terrible profits nowadays.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  7. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Money making certainly takes some effort now. Perhaps they are encouraging us to be creative and lucrative. I theorize that with the introduction of the player owned vendors, they are testing to see how these effect the economy. Selling mob trash is not enough this release to let you keep up with your skill training and I feel like this is intentional. By level 25 I had amassed over 90 skill points and couldn't train the things I wanted to train. You can't simply grind mobs anymore and expect there to be a balance between leveling and being able to cough up the gold to keep training on par.
    Playing the market is where it's at. I had to take a break in my adventuring for a little bit, but it was worth it. It does require some work. But it's rewarding. Sell something everyone needs, sell it cheaply and frequently. Keep in mind not everyone has a ton of money to spend either. It took about a day but I managed to catch up with my training and have extra money to burn.

8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

making crafting components is a good way to get gold.

A Yard of leather sells for 110, a yard of supple leather sells for over 500

Some folks have been getting other people's money by selling crafted gear to folks on vendors (which im suprised by)

And if folks are buying crafted gear, they are making money so theres probably some good ways to do it

9. Marek Laemenard

Marek Laemenard Avatar

I too am in the category of "unable to afford skills" - I'm level 20, and have like 40+ skill points I don't have gold for.

But I actually like this - I've always yearned for an alternative to games where you have exactly enough gold to do whatever you need at that spot in the theme park. Kinda cool that you have to decide what you want to prioritize - gold or XP (or crafting XP)... hehe.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I also like that we are actually being asked to play the game this time. Crafting is a core system in the game and some won't do it, others love it, but work orders on both sides for the crafter and for the non crafter would be much appreciated. That way people could play the game their way and let others do things if they do not want to do that part of the game. But I too had the 'oh no' panic for a second but now I get it. So Im just enjoying R20 and on for the next few months. So much to do busy, busy, busy. Yesterday I was a bit pulled in various directions thinking I had to hurry to do this or that, but then I remembered that if the game were released we would just be playing the game. Levels would not be the end all thing many games have set up. This game is and should not be about leveling but the many interesting features of the game and how creative you can be while doing all of the game, character development would only be a part of the puzzle of how your character exists and survives in the world. One build and the way a player plays with the options available in the game would be able to out manuever, outplay someone by their own creativity and different ways they have worked their character. So skills and spells would not tell the whole story. So you wouldnt be able to just say here try my build because the dynamics to the character build would not be dependant on just the skills or skill order they have.;) And crafting should be a viable earning option to the game and of course it will be. People will get crative no matter what in this type of game which is by design.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.