Graphics Guru's and Highend users!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Proteus Tempest, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I am going to be building a system in the near future and I would like to see the best screen shots in the SOTA community and what graphics card(s) they are using.

I have my eye on a ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 motherboard currently but I would like to see the high end users screenshots of the game.

I'm currious what the Devs are using as well. @Chris @DarkStarr @Berek

Start posting people!!

Tahru likes this.
  2. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

2x GTX 970 in SLI here at home :). 960 in the work machine. I'm tempted with those 1080s so I can add another 4K monitor.

Duke Gréagóir and Tahru like this.
  3. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I'm jealous just thinking about it.

Post some screenshots at high rez please.

Tahru likes this.
  4. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I've just upgraded to a GTX 1070, no SLI, I've read many games won't benefit anyway from two, so I kept costs down with a cheaper mobo (intel h110 chipset :p) but decent gpu and processor (Intel Core i5-6600 fwiw). :) Shroud runs amazingly well now and is a huge improvement to my gaming. No stuttering anywhere yet, silky smooth 60fps even in Brittany. Should be good for a few years! :D BTW, I am running the game at the max graphical settings. I'm in gaming heaven!

I game on a 23 inch monitor, no 4k for me :) Not sure why I'd want that yet.. maybe in a few years.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I have two OC'd 290X GPUs (8gb each) running in crossfire w/ a SSD all into a 34" 21:9 monitor. Last xmas I was messing around with a multi display config and grabbed a 7280x1440 shot in Star Citizen.
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of the overland map (time now)... 4k is nice... 21:9 is amazing; but you'll definitely want dual cards with bigger screens - keeps your fps nice and tight and shows amazing detail.

[​IMG]

6. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

That rocks Duke!!

Thanks for posting those great screen shots.

7. Modu

Modu Avatar

I never recommend SLI setups unless you are playing very specific games that you know have good SLI scaling and you really need that extra boost for competitive play. Otherwise you are just introducing more complexity into an already VERY complex system of buggy drivers and buggy applications.

I guarantee single card solutions are quite adequate and less prone to driver and app bugs.

I prefer the Titan cards - yes they are expensive but you can run 3 monitors off one card with excellent performance. :)

8. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

@Duke Avery
    I'm trying to understand how dual monitors work now in respect to resolution.

If a 29 inch ultra wide monitor has a max resolution of 2560×1080. What resolution could I run at if I had two of them?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  9. Birko

Birko Avatar

I'm really not sure but I guess that you'd get 5120 x 1080.

I have a single GTX970 with three mismatched monitors. A cheap ultrawide flanked by two widescreen monitors.
    The ultrawide is good for visual gameplay, as in the game action, but bad for reading text.
    For that reason, I play in windowed mode, and expand the screen to each good monitor where I place chat and other text based game windows.
    I have to say that it is awesome !
    Now something for Berek to be aware of : because of parallax, the flanking monitors can act like a spyglass within maps/instances.

For panoramic screenshots, I drag the game window wide across the three monitors and use Screenshot Captor to grab the image.
    In the below example, I cropped the superfluous edges in Photoshop, and dropped the highlights by 15% because game screenshots tend to be too dark,
    and saved it with a JPEG setting of 5.

Handy hints :
    F9 toggles in game windows.
    /visible toggles your character visibility for your screen only.

[​IMG]
    This is obviously Brightbone Pass, a favorite spot of mine to watch the sun rise and set, and see the night sky transit.
    After a hard day at work, this is my chill out spot, where gameplay is simply contemplation and watching.
    I think that it is the highest elevation that avatars can reach on the Overland Map.
    It would be great if there were other observation points on peaks!
    (Hint for future - observatories ;) )

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    LoneStranger and Mata like this.
  10. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Great screenshot.

Is there always a slant to things as the image approaches the outter edges?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.